Friday, February 12

YEAR OF THE TIGER


Apart from being Valentine's Day, Sunday also marks Chinese New Year, or Têt as it is known in those parts. We are leaving the year of the cow and entering the year of the tiger. Mr Woods will be relieved.

In keeping with my newly apocalyptic frame of mind, I've just started reading Oswald Spengler's "Der Untergang des Abendlandes" or
"The Decline of the West". This was written in 1918 but still rings fairly true today, and is an early product of a movement which came to be known as cultural pessimism. Spengler believes Western civilisation is on its last legs, and is about to go the way of the Romans, i.e up the Tiber without a padulum.

Which begs the question: what next? Looks like a choice between Islamo-fascism or Chinese communo-capitalism. I'm going with the Chinese, mainly because I don't look so hot in a burqah, and the Chinese like a drinkie. They both have an appalling attitude to human rights, so might as well go with the ones that like to party. I am learning to spit at bus stops and may have to take up smoking again. I'm having dim sum for dinner, squatting in front of the telly.


I, for one, welcome our new overlords.
That'll be tea for 203,567 then?


Kung hei fat chow, everyone!


No comments: