
Dolores is still lithe and supple and can still point one leg directly at the ceiling. It comes in very handy in the rush hour. She used to perform under the stage name of Fanny by Gaslight, for obvious reasons, but she has hung up her G-string due to her recent marriage to a very devout Moslem. There is no way to attach caribou feathers to a hijab and carry it off with aplomb, so with regrets we had to put her on the bench.
The next to bail out was Hattie, who has phlebitis and couldn't get her sparkly tights on. Orinoco Flo was game, but the 40 Gauloises a day were catching up with her and her wheezing drowned out the playback music. As for moi, it's no secret that I haven't been able to get my leg up and over for several years. So sadly, we had to reluctantly call off our planned triumphant reunion gala and repair to the nearest café for kirs (orange juice for Dolores), reminiscences and goosing young waiters. In Sarkoland, there is no place for an elderly showgirl.
Dovima with Elephants, Evening Dress by Dior, Cirque d’ Hiver,
Paris, 1955 -Richard Avedon MOMA New York)
"That's it my darling (click), can you take your teeth out for me my love? Lovely, (click, click) now just undo the top two buttons of your bedjacket for me, ooh that's really sexy, (click, click) let's just have a tiny glimpse of your pop sox my love, fantastic (click, click), now straddle the zimmer frame, (click), open your mouth a little bit, wet your lips, (click, click), you're going to knock 'em dead, literally (click), look at me like you want it (click), yeah baby!"
I'm off to watch the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony now, but I'll leave you with a clip of one of Dolores' more famous routines where she showed off her agility and a bit more. Cabaret's loss is Islam's gain.

23 comments:
Opinions vary on the hijab, but that dance routine needs major revisions to make it sharia compliant. Essentially, she'd need to do it behind a curtain without the music. My advice to Dolores is not to stop performing until the audience thinks she's a transvestite.
Hil ar i ous!
From my hazy recollections an SLR is rather more than an idiot camera so I can only say I'm happy with my point and shoot- Sony cyber-shot ooh and I've just discovered it is a movie thing also.
I didn't realise the Jeu do Paume still existed. I though everything had been moved to Musee d'Orsay
Love the video - very vulvacious.
Brilliant post Daffers - especially the video. Glad to see you are back from gay Paris.
I would have loved to see you in your heyday!
Gah! What a time for U Tube to stop working for me.
Anyway. Fuji 9 megapixel. Size of a fag packet and holds hundreds (or thousands depending on settings) of photos. Mrs Farty's can even identify and focus on faces in a scene.
I have last year's Canon DSLR - forgot what the numbers are. It depends on whether or not you want a camera that will fit in your handbag - depending on the size of that, obviously, or something larger.
When I can afford to, I would like to buy http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=15653
:)
GB, those high kicks leave nothing to the imagination. Clever the way she does it so quickly, a strict Moslem might even think he'd seen Osama Bin Laden's beard.
Pat, I have a little handbag-size digital too, but would like to branch out into something a bit more versatile. The permanent exhibition was moved to the Musee d'Orsay, but they still have temporary exhibitions.
Doris, thank you for your kind remarks. I was quite the toast of Paris in my day.
Farty, the only problem with the wee ones is stability, I haven't got the steadiest of hands (for reasons we won't go into here) and a bigger camera is easier to prop against your face.
Zed, it doesn't need to fit my handbag, only my budget.
Sid, keep saving up your rupees. You'll get there one day.
Musee d'Orsay used to be a station. I ken it fine. The last time I was there they wanted an extra eight quid to see the dreary purple water lilly murals by the old guy with the specs and the beard. (no, not Rolf Harris)
"Dick Turpin wore a mask!" I said, in my chippy working class I've as much right to be here as anyone sort of way.
Sorted THEM out.
Bourgeois swine.
The Nikon DSLR's have a point and shoot setting, as do I assume the cannons, You'll be ok!
A friend of mine was an Agent Provacateur (SP?) in London a whaile ago and it was full of Muslem Women buying lingerie!
Dearest Daffers, all of these except the last one were taken on my own Fuji S5000. It's a few years old now, so you ought to be able to get one cheaply. Probly. Why not nip into a camera shop and ask to try out a few, then note the one you prefer and buy it cheaply off t'internet? (I am so Scotch sometimes.)
Maroon, you must be a joy to go on holiday with. The French would have no idea who Dick Turpin was. You should have compared them to Albert Spaggiari, the gentleman thief par excellence. I would pay 8 quid to see Rolf Harris' paintings, I think he's a sight better than that con-man Matisse who couldn't even play the wobble board.
Brom, I have taken note. I think Canon have the best prices. Over here women wear the hijab with all sorts of eyecatching accessories. I even saw in a Brussels shop window DISCO HIJABS covered in sequins!
Farty, I enjoyed your Scotch wedding photos. I had a friend worked for Fuji UK, sadly I never took advantage of the opportunity to get a camera at trade prices and now she's moved on. The sales have finished here, I'll have to wait till January now.
Speaking of disco hijabs and Olympics, did you notice the Algerian female contingent in the opening ceremony?
Not a single Kabyle dress in sight! Nowt but skirts above the knee!
Must be Boutef's witty response to the latest spate of suicide bombers...
"Up your skirts!"
Bugger the medals, they've already won the battle of nerves.
Krimo, I'll never forget the women traffic police in Algiers, my companion kept driving up one-way streets the wrong way on purpose just to get their attention! They were gorgeous, and kicked ass. Did you notice the BBC commentator didn't mention a thing about Georgia when their contingent came through?
Canon just released the EOS 1000D, an entry level DSLR with all the bells and whistles, at about 500 €. Apparently, it comes with a very decent standard objective.
I have a Canon EOS 350D myself that I bought a couple of years ago for twice that money, but at the time it was the entry level camera. I'm very pleased with it.
I your dutch is up to it, you can visit this site for cameras and accessories at very sharp prices: www.fotokonijnenberg.be (I don't get money for advertising this site btw). This link gives you their price for the 1000D and other models.
Bart my boy, you always deliver the goods. The 1000D ticks all my boxes. Entry level is I think what I need - for a beginner, right? Isn't it funny how things like sophisticated cameras are getting cheaper every year, and yet you can't buy a simple FM/LW/MW transistor radio with for under 70 euros? You used to be able to pick one up for a fiver in the old days. Anyway, thanks for the rec, I may be seen circling Media Markt with intent in the coming weeks.
Meanwhile, what can I do with a pretty good Samsung point-and-push that uses film?
I just love your blog Daffers! You really cheer up my day!! Why do so many Belgians blog? Is it because Belgium is so boring that there is nothing else to do?? No offence intended!!!
MMM, yes that's exactly why. And because the weather is so crap. I enjoyed your post about old boyfriends, it took me back! One of mine is now a famous comedian. (That should get the comments over the 20 mark).
Or perhaps not ... anybody?
Yay!! 20 Napkin rings ... OK, moving on ...
I know who:)
A famous Belgian comedian? Or did you go out with Jasper Carrott?
About your old camera: you can sell it on E-bay, but don't expect too much of it. Since digital has become all the rage, prices for second hand analogue cameras have plummeted. Some photographers buy second hand materials (I know one in Antwerp, near the Groenplaats: Grobet) and maybe will give you a discount on your new camera in return.
Preferred question... And of colour!
Casio , Ex-Z77( Exilim) 7.2 M.P ,ISO: 1600 , écran LCD 2.6 ,très petit il tiend dans un sac à main voir même dans un porte-monnaie ,très féminin pas très cher (moins de 120€)
Toutes mes felicitations à Dolores
Post a Comment