While an argument rages over at Manuel Stimulation's place about which football team the Blessed Virgin Mary supports, we in Brussels have more pressing matters to consider, such as whether Belgium should continue to exist in its present form or, indeed, at all. I'm not sure the Flemish secessionists have thought this through. First of all, French is still a more widespread and important language than Dutch. Not surprising, when you get metro stations called "Kunst Wet". Secondly, even if they do get independence, they could live to regret it.
The kunst is not the only thing that's wet in this country. A recent French comedy film (which broke all previous box office records in French cinema history) pretended that as you cross the county lines into the "Nord", the French region adjacent to Belgium, the heavens open on cue. I was reminded of this recently on the Eurostar from Paris to Brussels. About 40 minutes into the journey, the train barrelled into a wall of precipitation. I glanced at my phone. The network had changed from SFR to Proximus, indicating that I was now in ... Belgium. As if I needed telling.
Belgium must be the wettest country I have ever lived in. I have seen rains of much greater volume, in West Africa during the rainy season, but never such constant, relentless, persistent, determined, unremitting, in-yer-face, all-year-round wetness as here. Alongside chocolate box ribbons, beer bottles, and beer glasses I have now started a collection of umbrellas. And yet it never seems to flood the way it does in the UK. What should one deduce from this? That the drains and rivers are better maintained in Belgium? That there is not such a mania for concreting over gardens as in UK? Or that Belgium, like Rob McKenna, is a raingod? In the words of the immortal Bubble, who can say?
As I write, sheets of rain are hurtling past the window towards the Gare du Nord like Flemish commuters at knocking-off time. If what they say about global warming is true, weather will be the undoing of this country, and those silly people in the North will be hoist with their own petard, because when the Netherlands turns into Atlantis, the French-speakers will be able to head for the hills of the Ardennes or the mountains of France, whereas the Dutch-speakers will have nowhere to go but very flat Flanders, which will rapidly join the shallow end of the North Sea. Reminding us of the tale of the foolish virgins, who didn't make it onto Noah's Ark. That will teach them to think ahead.
The kunst is not the only thing that's wet in this country. A recent French comedy film (which broke all previous box office records in French cinema history) pretended that as you cross the county lines into the "Nord", the French region adjacent to Belgium, the heavens open on cue. I was reminded of this recently on the Eurostar from Paris to Brussels. About 40 minutes into the journey, the train barrelled into a wall of precipitation. I glanced at my phone. The network had changed from SFR to Proximus, indicating that I was now in ... Belgium. As if I needed telling.
Belgium must be the wettest country I have ever lived in. I have seen rains of much greater volume, in West Africa during the rainy season, but never such constant, relentless, persistent, determined, unremitting, in-yer-face, all-year-round wetness as here. Alongside chocolate box ribbons, beer bottles, and beer glasses I have now started a collection of umbrellas. And yet it never seems to flood the way it does in the UK. What should one deduce from this? That the drains and rivers are better maintained in Belgium? That there is not such a mania for concreting over gardens as in UK? Or that Belgium, like Rob McKenna, is a raingod? In the words of the immortal Bubble, who can say?
As I write, sheets of rain are hurtling past the window towards the Gare du Nord like Flemish commuters at knocking-off time. If what they say about global warming is true, weather will be the undoing of this country, and those silly people in the North will be hoist with their own petard, because when the Netherlands turns into Atlantis, the French-speakers will be able to head for the hills of the Ardennes or the mountains of France, whereas the Dutch-speakers will have nowhere to go but very flat Flanders, which will rapidly join the shallow end of the North Sea. Reminding us of the tale of the foolish virgins, who didn't make it onto Noah's Ark. That will teach them to think ahead.

13 comments:
It rains more in the UK, but when it rains here it is, admittedly, horrid.
If this country split I'd have to go back to learning Flemish. Not living far from Erps-Kwerps gives it an entirely different meaning .... but I'm not sure what.
The only good point about constant rain is that it discourages street protests. All the rioting that went on in India came to a rapid halt in the monsoon season. It also discourages humans from stripping off and confusing the insects. Why don't the Belgians just split the country between France and Holland?
GB, I think the answer to your question is that neither the French or the Dutch want any part of Belgium. Germany, of course, is a different matter altogether. :-)
I take it you've never visited Aberdeen?
Every festival I've been to this "Summer" has been waterlogged!
Even my favourite Fringe didn't stay dry...
Zed, you're right, but as Belgium is one-eighth the size of the UK, it's all concentrated in one place. My street most recently.
GB, the Belgian unions have issued natty little plastic cagoules in the colours of their particular tendency for wet weather action. The police here find a much better deterrent to serious street protest is to divert the route past lots of pubs.
Lynx him speak the truth, the French part of Belgium is more of a liability than an asset. Neither France nor Holland would want it. Do you think Brussels should declare UDI?
Farty, I have never had the pleasure.
Krimo, I seriously thought about Edinburgh this year but for the price I could have a week in the Maldives off season. If I'm going to stare out the window at rain I can do it here for nothing. Told you I had Scottish blood.
Echt-jullie, 't'wetter haes ben hof'lie goed een Echt'enbroo thuis jaar,
Daafnie, so je miijt as wel hof ghaan.
wetter-wijze, hannie-waiie.
Say this in Flemish, and it's pretty much a Morningside accent.
Tje McVandal, man of a thousand voices, and can't say Gissa Job in any of them.
I can vouch for the difference that well-maintained drains and gardens not-concreted-over can make. One wishes for a boat, not a motor-vehicle, to navigate through the streets of Delhi on a rainy day!
:D
I feel almost Messianic about not concreting over gardens...
You don't have to do anything if you don't wish to but you've been awarded a 'Super Commenter' award. It's on my side bar at the bottom. You deserve it;)
Sid, when I was in Lagos our street used to flood to knee-level in about 20 minutes in the wet season. But the road wasn't tarmacked so it used to disappear into the ground fairly quickly.
Pat, aren't they going to make it compulsory to use porous concrete in the future? Thanks for the award!
Thanks for the visit, Daphne. I like you (international style, icon....LOL) so I'll be back!
La Belgique est bien trop p'tite pour être inondable !! Et puis les pays-bas sont le "Waterworld" de l'europe sans Kevin Costner.
Chez nous la pluie fait défaut ,nous sommes en restriction d'eau depuis juin si ça continue j'me lave plus pour avoir assez d'eau pour l'Pastis !
Post a Comment