Sunday, November 11

THE WAR TO END ALL WARS ... (to be continued)








8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hé ! oui !
[ Commencée comme la dernière guerre romantique d'un 19e siècle attardé, la "Der des der" se poursuivit et s'acheva dans la plus effroyable boucherie d'un 20e siècle balbutiant et assoiffé de sang. Si toutes les guerres sont stupides, celle de 14-18 dépassa l'entendement...]

Pénible autant pour les soldats que pour les civils !
Plus pour ma Grand-Mère ,j'ai fait mon devoir de mémoire au nom de l'infirmière ...

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

J'ai vu ton hommage touchant a ta grand'mere, Crabtree, la mienne travaillait dans une usine a munitions, l'Arsenal original pour lequel l'equipe de foot etait nomme.

Plus j'etudie l'histoire, plus je suis convaincue que ce n'est qu'une longue guerre continue, qui re-eclate de temps en temps - chaque conflit seme les grains pour le suivant, et ainsi de suite, jusqu'a la fin du temps, ou la fin du petrole, laquelle arrivera le premier ....

Pat said...

I saw this for the first time yesterday. All the more riveting with those familiar characters.
Did you see 'My son Jack'? The play about Kipling's son? I have been in that house and it is sooo gloomy.

MKWM said...

Quel bel hommage, Daphne. En lisant "à suivre" dans ce titre, j'ai d'abord pensé que tu aurais du texte à ajouter plus tard. En voyant l'image finale, je me suis demandée ce qu'il peut y avoir de plus éloquent que ce champs de coquelicots. Après avoir lu ces commentaires, je réalise que, tout simplement, il n'y a jamais de dernière guerre et que ce sont ses tristes épisodes qui sont "à suivre".

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

It's all the same fucking war. If it's not about oil it's diamonds or land grabs. Religion's just a way to hypnotize more cannon fodder into the front line.

I was going to post something about poppies and pointlessness being the common factors of the Great War and Afghanistan, but the Sunday papers beat me to it. So I posted this, which is the most poignant thing I have ever seen about WW1. And I will post it every 11th November until I hang up my blogging tackle.

It is all the more poignant because if you have watched the series from the beginning you feel you know Blackadder and Baldrick and George, they are Everyman. Blackadder's pessimism through the ages is finally justified, and you even find yourself hoping that upper class twit George makes it through the bullets.

To be continued ... ad nauseam.

Ché l'écossais said...

Famously voted the most poignant moment in British television history.

The penultimate "punchline" to a brilliant show, as it were.

None of my ancestors went anywhere near the killing fields of WW1, as far as I know, but to be honest, I don't blame them, either.
One of the saddest photos I ever saw was of 16 year olds queuing up in 1915 outside an Army recruitement agency - to lie about their age.

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Poignant indeed. What a terrible pity it is, war, all of it. But we never learn. Mankind always vows "Never again!" but war makes liars of us and before long we're at it again. Our inability to learn is truly depressing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.