Friday, November 9

A LAST HURRAH

Five days ago



This morning


After a frankly rubbish summer, the autumn has been spectacular. The cherry trees on my street have shown off their triumphant autumn collection, the leaves turning gold and red in a final blaze of glory before departing for the winter. When I started writing this a few days ago, the wind was blowing gently and the leaves were fluttering to the ground in a gentle but constant rain of gold, leaving evenly-spaced pools of colour on the pavement. Today they are stripped bare, and winter has really begun. We wait, huddled around our chimneys and radiators, for the spring, when the street will turn into a wonderful catwalk of pink fluffiness.


Talking of pink fluffiness, Christmas is six weeks away, and Mattel seems to have bought all the Belgian TV channels. Pink fluffiness is back in fashion, it seems. Germaine Greer, it was all for nothing.




I have always loved to see a tree outside my window. In Africa I would watch the lazy swaying of the palm fronds as I lay
down for my afternoon nap. Godwin the servant said shaking that palm tree was the cause of his sciatica, but it gave me lovely peaceful dreams. In Poland we had an apricot tree which dropped 200 kilos of fruit the very first summer we were there. I have never been able to stand apricots since.

Back in Guildford we had a huge lilac tree that was as tall as the house. It was lovely to sit in its shade during the summer, but it was getting much too leggy and needed cutting back. One day Harold came into the back garden and said there was a chap outside with a chainsaw and a flatbed truck offering to prune trees. The chap, who spoke in a dialect that was reminiscent of Brad Pitt's character in "Snatch" (although sadly didn't bear any physical resemblance) and was visibly a member of the ancient and venerable travelling community, said he'd chop down the dead cherry tree in the front and prune my lilac for £40, which seemed reasonable. I was loath to tell the gentleman how to do his job, and assumed he would take off the very high branches carefully starting from the top. I disappeared into the kitchen to let him get on with it.

After a brief bout of chainsaw noise I heard a sickening cracking sound followed by an earth-shaking thump. I rushed outside to find my beloved lilac had been split in two vertically - one half still standing, the other half lying in agony on the lawn. He had simply sliced the biggest branch at the base, and the upper branches which were entangled at the ends with another tall branch, had brought half the tree down with it. I burst into tears. That will teach me to trust a bloomin' pikey.

In an unguarded moment I revealed in the last comments box that there is a portal in this blog leading to the Supreme Knowledge, which has sparked off a flurry of interest. It has been there for months and none of you has had the gumption to find it! I will only tell you that it is not a piece of clever techno programming, not an Easter egg, waving your mouse about hopefully will not help you. Even the Tech Guru has not managed to find it yet. It is a straight piece of detective work, and devilishly simple. If you find it, I will know. First one to find it wins a box of Belgian chocolates.

Off you go.

17 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

You asked Pikey to prune your tree? Should have got Sargeant Wilson to supervise him. I'm not to going to look for your portal because anything offering 'Supreme Knowledge' is bound to be a disappointment. The last wild goose chase like this left me with the recipe for goulash.

Pat said...

I have just been reading about gypsies on Casdok's blog. My experiences with them have been negative. It has been a glorious autumn hasn't it? Except for the dratted leaves on the lawn.
How about a tiny clue? I don't really know what I'm looking for. just supposing I can see anything I don't actually fall over.

Anonymous said...

I did think that the portal to Supreme Knowledge would be a link to my blog. There are 2 problems with this:
1. You haven't linked to my blog
2. I don't have a blog

Therefore, I have no idea; so I shall make like a tree...

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, you don't need to seek the Supreme Knowledge because you already have it. Actually, this treasure hunt should be pretty easy for you. So if you do crack it, make like you didn't. Chocolates would melt in the jungle anyway.

Pat, there are gipsies, or gypsies, and then there are Pikeys. Not the same thing at all. They're good at some things - music, for example, as demonstrated by the immortal Django Reinhardt (who was from Belgium by the way!) - but when it comes to lopping trees, get a tree surgeon in.

Lynx, you don't need a blog to access the Knowledge. Look, I'll give you a teeny clue:

Two clicks.

There. I've already said too much.

Dr Maroon said...

Please check your beautiful portal.

Lots of love,

AHK Maroon.

Message timed at 09 November 2007 05:13

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

MAROOOOOOOOON!!!!! It had to be a fecking Scotsman dinnit. I bet you knew it was there all along and were just lurking! Ye divvil you Are you sure the gorilla didn't whisper?

Milk or dark? E-mail me your address and I will prove the English keep their promises. Even though ma granda' was frae Glasgae.

The rest of you can keep looking, I just want to see if anyone else gets it before Christmas. No more chocs sadly but you will be able to smirk at the others in the Supreme Knowledge that you know the real Daphne!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Inspecteur Crabtree, je t'en prie, protège mon nom de guerre!! Je m'excuse d'avoir supprimé ton commentaire, mais comme on disait pendant la guerre: « loose talk costs lives: you never know who is listening ». Toutefois je te félicite d'avoir trouvé la Vérité Suprême: pas de chocolats pour 4e place, mais une mention honorable au tableau d'honneur.

Anonymous said...

Tu as eue raison ,sinon je l'aurais fait moi -même !
Chez nous on disait "Les murs ont des oreilles."

Certains l’attribuent aux périodes de guerre au Moyen-Âge ou à la Renaissance : il paraît en effet difficile de démasquer ou d’empêcher l’espionnage dans des lieux aussi habités que les châteaux . Or, en période de guerre, la peur de voir se diffuser certaines informations est importante.

Si je ne suis que le 4ème c'est voulu !l'"indice" je l'ai lu dès le début!
Une fois que l'écossai a...
"I hope not to have betrayed you"

Romeo Morningwood said...

Micky: "D'ya like Degs?"

My word! You were very brave to enlist the services of Piker Pruning and EvilEye Removal 1967 ltd.

Our Indian Summer...ooops can't say that anymore..our First Asians Autumnal Warming Event has been lovely over here in the Colonies.
Barely a trace of snow and it's almost the middle of November!

Mind you the migrating Caribou are wreaking havoc with the garden and those nasty, ill-tempered, Wolverines are trying to tunnel in under the kitchen sink.

MKWM said...

At last, I found it too, hurrah!
*definitely smirking at the others for a merry year already*

Cream said...

Don't ask an Irishman to lay you a new drive either.
K paid over £1000 once for the thinnest layer of tar which got washed away with the first rain.

Anonymous said...

Super !!Tu l'as mit "Deezer"c'est de ce Widget dont je t'ai parlé ce fameux bidule qui fait des émules!

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Where is it?

Aaaagh - I feel dimmer than the turny light-switches in a moody restaurant.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

HE, Caribou in the garden are a dreadful blight. But their feathers make lovely trimming on mules.

MK, well done dear, the only gel to find me. But no surprises when you got there.

Cream, I have seen drives laid by the "travellers". £1000! Yikes. In some towns they have their own department on the council who protects their "rights", like the right to fly-tip and churn up school fields with their vehicles. PC gone mad.

Crabtree, j'ai eu quelques problemes au debut, mais une fois que j'ai compris qu'il etait plus facile de "poster" une liste plutot qu'une chanson seule, je m'amuse comme une dingue avec ce bidule.

Sam, you're being too Scottish dear. Che had the same problem - thinking too deep. It's been there all the time. It's not hidden at all. Think sideways. I'm just amazed at people's lack of curiosity about others, although you might say that's characteristic of bloggers. It's all about ME !!

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I did it! I found you!

Dim no more.

The Aunt said...

How DARE you post a picture of my car without asking!

How VERY DARE YOU!

I'm going to retaliate by not bothering to look for the Supreme Knowledge link now.