I have just returned from a flying visit to Sofia in Bulgaria, where I played a crucial part in the KNOB's attempt to woo south-eastern Europe away from techno music. We (I now consider myself a full member of KNOB) always try to adapt our music to the style of the host country, and so I dressed up in multicoloured petticoats, with giant gold hoop earrings and a fringed shawl, and had to bang a tambourine and
dance about a bit in wild gipsy fashion, a bit like Maureen O'Hara in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, or Theda Bara in Cecil B. De Mille's 1915 version of "Carmen", while Bert and the boys trumped their way through a medley of Balkan favourites. The tambourine was a bit off-putting to tell you the truth, as it kept putting me in mind of my old Aunty Alice, who was with the Salvation Army, and I had to stop myself from bursting into "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam". We came second, losing by a whisker to Branko Bob and his Balkan Bangers.
After the contest we were taken to a restaurant where traditional music and dancing was promised. The food was cold and frankly inedible, and the wine so vile that I felt a hangover surfacing after only one glass, and hence had a rather sober evening. A lady in traditional garb appeared and warbled atonically, while a chap played complex tunes on an inflated sheep carcass and a couple of young ladies in tartan aprons pirouetted around waving large cheeses, which was a fairly accurate comment on the entertainment. I had never realized the Birdy Song was an old Bulgarian folk song. And this was in Sofia, the capital - Varna must be the Blackpool of the Black Sea. I was on an involuntary diet for the whole three days, as the food was not really to my liking. If it hadn't been for the yoghurt I'd have wasted away.
Meanwhile more intellectual pursuits were going on in the park, in the shadow of the luxurious Grand Hotel. Chess (rather than sumo wrestling) is the spectator sport of the masses in Bulgaria. Burly shaven-headed truck driver types were playing blitz, the pieces falling in rapid succession, while a crowd stood around and watched intently, occasionally making comments along the lines of "nice gambit, Phil" or sucking their teeth. A combination of muscle and brains that would make the Mitchell brothers gawp in awe. These were men who would checkmate you before dragging you away by your hair. I felt quite weak at the knees. Mind you, that could have been from hunger.
Photo: J.Gillis
dance about a bit in wild gipsy fashion, a bit like Maureen O'Hara in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, or Theda Bara in Cecil B. De Mille's 1915 version of "Carmen", while Bert and the boys trumped their way through a medley of Balkan favourites. The tambourine was a bit off-putting to tell you the truth, as it kept putting me in mind of my old Aunty Alice, who was with the Salvation Army, and I had to stop myself from bursting into "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam". We came second, losing by a whisker to Branko Bob and his Balkan Bangers.After the contest we were taken to a restaurant where traditional music and dancing was promised. The food was cold and frankly inedible, and the wine so vile that I felt a hangover surfacing after only one glass, and hence had a rather sober evening. A lady in traditional garb appeared and warbled atonically, while a chap played complex tunes on an inflated sheep carcass and a couple of young ladies in tartan aprons pirouetted around waving large cheeses, which was a fairly accurate comment on the entertainment. I had never realized the Birdy Song was an old Bulgarian folk song. And this was in Sofia, the capital - Varna must be the Blackpool of the Black Sea. I was on an involuntary diet for the whole three days, as the food was not really to my liking. If it hadn't been for the yoghurt I'd have wasted away.
Meanwhile more intellectual pursuits were going on in the park, in the shadow of the luxurious Grand Hotel. Chess (rather than sumo wrestling) is the spectator sport of the masses in Bulgaria. Burly shaven-headed truck driver types were playing blitz, the pieces falling in rapid succession, while a crowd stood around and watched intently, occasionally making comments along the lines of "nice gambit, Phil" or sucking their teeth. A combination of muscle and brains that would make the Mitchell brothers gawp in awe. These were men who would checkmate you before dragging you away by your hair. I felt quite weak at the knees. Mind you, that could have been from hunger.
8 comments:
That man reminds of Bullet-head Vlad, the circus strongman. According to Vlad, there is a lot of real estate available at low prices in Bulgaria. Now I know why. Varna is the port from which Dracula set sail for England. Did you ever feel the urge to have your neck bitten, Lady Daphne?
Tout ce que je connaissais sur les Bulgares , était les lutteurs ! la nuit des Bulgares !("1916" C'était a Nich, au moment où l'on entendait déjà les coups de canon des Bulgares. Le dernier aviateur français devait rejoindre l'escadrille à Krouchevafs.) et le coup du parapluie "Georgi Markov"?
HELLO BIG BOY !! Un béguin Bulgare ?
LADY IN RED , parole de français ,je ne changerais pas une virgule !Lady Daphne
Sounds like you found wisdom through hunger, Daphne.
GB, Dracula must have sailed through the Bosphorus, across the Med and up round the Bay of Biscay. Google Earth has done wonders for my knowledge of geography.
Dip Dop, le sumo est simplement une variation sur la lutte bulgare. Le mot "bougre" et son equivalent anglais "bugger" vient du mot bulgare, bien que le sens est different dans les deux langues. En anglais cela veut dire pederaste.
Minky, I don't know about wisdom, but I certainly learned a few moves.
Haha !
Merci M'Dame Daphne , Tu est une très gentille Maîtresse ( d'école ) et j'ai tout compris !!??
Les sumos mangent des yaourts !( Lactobacillius bulgaricus ),les bulgares sont des "bougres" ! , et les pauvres "bugger" Anglais ne sont pas des sumotoris mais des lutteurs "Bulgare",ils sont fort ses Anglais !!
Ah !les coutumes , et costumes !
Ha ! ha ! hi ! hi !
les voyages forment la jeunesse ,ton esprit en est une preuve !
Touchée par ton hommage au ténor qui n'est plus de ce monde, quelle noble pensée, Daphné. Sans aucun doute, tu regorges de sagesse... Sofia, en grec.
Merci Minky , je n'avai pas vu !
Radio.blog Fact of the emulators, and which choice ! I who believed that it shall not walk !
Merci Daphne
What a waste of airmiles - you could have watched chess in public on Ambiorix and got the sucking teeth thing thrown in for free
Post a Comment