
The long absence, dear readers, was due to a midweek trip to the UK on Eurostar. It certainly goes along at a fair old clip now the new rails are in place on the UK side. While in the UK I had to make a few journeys by inland railways, and was most pleasantly surprised to find that ALL my trains were on time. Not only that, but they were clean, quiet, and comfortable. Things have certainly changed since I was a gel. I put it down to that chap Bob Crowe, nothing like a Millwall-supporting Marxist to restore order on the networks. He should stand for Mayor.
I much prefer to travel by train than by air, especially since all this new security screening started. Every time I go through security, whatever the airport, I have to take my shoes off. At Brussels airport they are particularly draconian. Last time I travelled they made me sit barefoot while they put my shoes through the scanner on their own. I appreciate that they have to treat all passengers the same, but they obviously have no idea of the price of a pair of Jimmy Choos. If I was going to attack the pilot, I'd use a pair of Scholl sandals, far more robust, and cheaper.
A lady can never have too many pairs of shoes. Apart from a different colour pair of slippers to match every negligee, a gel needs shoes in varying degrees of comfort, dressiness, summer and winter collections, boots, sandals, mules, slingbacks, loafers, court shoes (for her day in court), espadrilles, heels, flatties, and at least one pair that requires being carried from the car to the restaurant. The only type of shoe I do not possess is a running shoe. Having high colouring and weak ankles, I do not run under any circumstances. I do not wish to be found in a wheezing crumpled crimson heap as the number 29 recedes into the distance. I walk sedately, and am frequently late. But my pearls are never out of place when I arrive.
11 comments:
I'm not surprised they put your shoes through the scanner on their own, blame the new millenium Mata Hari look and that fruity hat of yours.
Now then, a different colour pair of slippers to match every negligee, quelle classe, Daphné, quelle classe! So true, rien ne sert de courir, il faut partir à point and I shouldn't be here, I'm running late, I am going out with my flatties tonight.
"Shoe Bomber" Richard bloody Colvin Reid, aka Abdul bloody Raheem really made a bloody mess of it all didn't he?
His encyclopedic ignorance of the importance of women's footwear, not to mention basic match striking procedures, must make him THE most hated man in History!
St. Hubbins, the patron Saint of Quality Footwear, must be sobbing uncontrollably in his mausoleum on Rodeo Drive.
Very pretty footwear, not easy to run with !!
A pair of slippers for every neglecting, with string of pearls!!
It is a remix of Cendrillon??
Trains are the right mode of transport for the stylish lady, as the Bond movies prove. The only excitement allowed on planes is before a crash or when beating up characters like that Elmer Fudd shoebomber.
After reading your post, I laughed as I thought, bloody Imeldas, these women, I only have one pair...
And then I began to count mine!
I can't believe it! Eight pairs, excluding the slippers and the babouches!
I must remember to wear these next time I travel... on my flying carpet.
I don't see why Cream gets to exclude his babouches.
Trains are indeed the correct mode of transport for the British lady. As demonstrated by Joan Fontaine, and that fellow on his way up the Thirty-Nine Steps, compartments were clearly invented for assignations with immaculately pinstriped and Brylcreamed strangers.
I mourn the era's passing.
I had a pair exactly like that which I used to run around Manchester in. or in which -if you prefer. I also don't run now and walk downstairs gently caressing the bannister. And it's years since I had a fracture. BTW I used to know the baddie in 'The lady Vanishes ' with Margaret Lockwood. He was my General Burgoyne in 'Devil's Disciple' and insisted on wearing hideous russet thigh boots in suede. Great presence though.
MK, strangely enough they didn't put my hat through the scanner. Although I had to put my head in one yesterday. But that's another story.
HE, when "Al Qaeda - the Musical" comes to be made, who will play Reid? Joe Pasquale perhaps? Or the idiot brother from Two Pints of Lager?
Dip-Dop, j'ai vu des dames parisiennes courir sur les paves geles dans des talons plus hauts que ca!
GB, did you hear about the woman passenger on a plane about to crash, who stood up and cried: "I don't want to die a virgin - will someone make me feel like a woman right now?" A guy stood up, took his shirt off, threw it at her and said "Here love, iron this!"
Cream, I hope your babouches curl up at the toes. Are you the genie of the blog?
Aunty, Eurostar goes so fast it would have to be a really brief encounter ... although 20 minutes in the tunnel would be worth the ride. If you follow me.
Pat, you were a Hammer Horror babe? I must read your blog more often.
L'équilibre au Féminin certainement ! J'ai vu ces dames de la butte , dévaller à fond ses escalliers ,peut-être pour se rendre au moulin Rouge ,et les grimper avec agilité pour Le Lapin à Gill " Le lapin Agile "
Et pourtant on ne conseille pas d'aller à Montmartre en talon aiguille car les rues sont toutes pavées !" WALK, DON'T RUN "
Padam...padam...padam...
Je pensais plutot aux dames BCBG du seizieme, qui peuvent se permettre de se tordre la cheville, tandis que les p'tites dames de Montmartre n'ont pas de couverture sociale ... la premiere photo est bien a cote du cimetiere de Montparnasse, n'est-ce-pas, cher Dip Dop?
Près du cimetière de Montmartre !(Un nombre important de personnes célèbres y sont enterrées, entre autres :André-Marie Ampère, Hector Berlioz , Henri-Georges Clouzot ,Edgar Degas ,Alexandre Dumas fils ,Louis Jouvet ,Jacques Offenbach ,Stendhal,Théophile Gautier, Émile Zola ,Dalida...et bien d'autres !le plus pittoresque des cimetière Parisien ).
Un bon croquis vaut mieux qu’un long discours.
Le cimetière de Montmartre au nord, le cimetière du Père Lachaise à l'est, le cimetière du Montparnasse au sud ...
A gauche du Sacré-Coeur vers l'Eglise Saint Pierre de montmartre direction les vignes de montmartre ,ce trouve cette rue ," rue des Saules "a l'angle de la rue Saint-Vincent près du cimetière du mème nom ,descent " thoroughly "jusqu'a la rue Marcadet au pied de la butte ,très belle promenade !!
Ce qui prouve qu'une paire de chaussures même à talon peut nous mener loin !
Pilgrims, visitors, simple passers-by Welcome !
Post a Comment