
The flags are out in earnest down my street now. 104 days and counting. Most Belgians still don't seem too fussed about the crisis. Apparently it has taken up to SIX MONTHS to form a government in the past. I don't know why they bother. I can see the point for important world powers (no names, no pack drill) who have to go around standing shoulder to shoulder and harrumphing at the UN, etc. But the Americans are hardly going to attack the place where NATO is based (Nice move Belgium!). The boy scouts will take over civil defence if anybody tries to start anything funny. They are trained in sabotage and dirty tricks. A booby-trapped woggle can stop a whole battalion of Marines in their tracks. That leaves foreign trade, and there will always be a demand for first-class chocolates, cherry beer and guns. FN (Fabrique Nationale) is one of the world's more serious arms manufacturers. Sadly, they're Belgian.
In view of the coming siege, it was timely that I discovered COLRUYT. This is a chain of independent supermarkets which practices the pile-em-high sell-em-cheap retail method. However, it is nothing like Aldi, Lidl or any of these poor people's stores. I was a little nervous, checking carefully that no-one spotted me going in (not that they would have recognized me in my Garboesque headscarf and dark glasses), and on my first tour of the cavernous warehouse-type store I was a little underwhelmed, not spotting any sundried tomatoes or rocket salad. However, on my second lap, the scales fell from my eyes, and I realized I was in shoppers heaven. The prices are indeed cheaper than Delhaize or GB (the local Carrefour subsidiary), but what is really impressive is the range of produce, especially in the wines and spirits department. There were about ten different kinds of genever alone, and an obscure brand of dry gin at £4.50 a bottle. I started to mentally tick boxes on my Christmas present list. The trolleys are enormous, and once my arms started shooting out to pluck six-packs of tinned salmon and cassoulet off the shelves, they couldn't stop. The refrigerated section is as big as a small supermarket, and there is a fair selection of "bio", or organic, produce. This shop had everything: fresh fruit and vegetables, a butcher, toys, toiletries, bread, frozen food, plants,
even a do-it-yourself photo developing machine where you can plug in your digital camera memory and order your prints on CD. I resisted the temptation to stock up on lager at 50p a pint, but earmarked a number of unusual liqueurs for the Christmas period (if Belgium lasts that long). My shopping caddy was so overloaded that one of the wheels fell off on the way home. This was obviously a Sign from Above, the Lord is instructing me to purchase a super-strength caddy with reinforced tubular frame and Michelin tyres for my next trip to Colruyt. They do very trendy ones nowadays, leopardskin print (very Vi Hornblower), fluo colours, op-art, I think even Marc Jacobs has brought out a range for the discerning granny. That way I can assume various disguises and maintain my cover. I've got some serious stockpiling to do.
In view of the coming siege, it was timely that I discovered COLRUYT. This is a chain of independent supermarkets which practices the pile-em-high sell-em-cheap retail method. However, it is nothing like Aldi, Lidl or any of these poor people's stores. I was a little nervous, checking carefully that no-one spotted me going in (not that they would have recognized me in my Garboesque headscarf and dark glasses), and on my first tour of the cavernous warehouse-type store I was a little underwhelmed, not spotting any sundried tomatoes or rocket salad. However, on my second lap, the scales fell from my eyes, and I realized I was in shoppers heaven. The prices are indeed cheaper than Delhaize or GB (the local Carrefour subsidiary), but what is really impressive is the range of produce, especially in the wines and spirits department. There were about ten different kinds of genever alone, and an obscure brand of dry gin at £4.50 a bottle. I started to mentally tick boxes on my Christmas present list. The trolleys are enormous, and once my arms started shooting out to pluck six-packs of tinned salmon and cassoulet off the shelves, they couldn't stop. The refrigerated section is as big as a small supermarket, and there is a fair selection of "bio", or organic, produce. This shop had everything: fresh fruit and vegetables, a butcher, toys, toiletries, bread, frozen food, plants,
even a do-it-yourself photo developing machine where you can plug in your digital camera memory and order your prints on CD. I resisted the temptation to stock up on lager at 50p a pint, but earmarked a number of unusual liqueurs for the Christmas period (if Belgium lasts that long). My shopping caddy was so overloaded that one of the wheels fell off on the way home. This was obviously a Sign from Above, the Lord is instructing me to purchase a super-strength caddy with reinforced tubular frame and Michelin tyres for my next trip to Colruyt. They do very trendy ones nowadays, leopardskin print (very Vi Hornblower), fluo colours, op-art, I think even Marc Jacobs has brought out a range for the discerning granny. That way I can assume various disguises and maintain my cover. I've got some serious stockpiling to do.
11 comments:
"the Lord is instructing me to purchase a super-strength caddy with reinforced tubular frame..."
Can you really buy them? Tiger Woods had to hire his one for a share of his winnings. Make sure you get one strong enough to carry you up the stairs when you're feeling drowsy. And can you explain how a bottle of gin can cost less the a bottle of wine? Doesn't gin have a lot more alcohol per litre?
Et bientôt aux barricades citoyen !
Ça va sentir la frite et puis la moule !!
Et du gin à £4.50 c'est bon pour des cocktail "molotov" ??
I am overwhelmed with nostalgie - cassoulet and Auntie's trip to Provence.:(
GB, there is no point in explaining the ins and outs of alcohol to a teetotaller. I also saw some 96 degrees straight alcohol in the booze section at Colruyt at nearly 20 quid. God knows why, you could go to the DIY store and buy barbecue fuel much cheaper.
Dip-Dop, merci pour l'idee! Tu ne serais pas un ancien de '68 par hasard? Le camarade Dany est ici pour nous guider.
Pat, nostalgia isn't what it used to be you know. Aunty's going to come back smelling of lavender.
Disverning grannies? I discerned several grannies at the post office during Friday lunchtime.
Why don't the old bats get up a bit earlier, set off down the street at 7am with their Zimmers and form a fucking queue outside at opening time?
That way, they wouldn't take up valuable space and time at lunch when us working folk need to get stuff done.
Well, it's not like they've got anything better to do, is it?
Où pensez-vous que j'étai Le 3 mai 1968 ?
A 16 ans et toutes mes dents les ch'veux long ,les fesses rivées sur les marches de la Sorbonne ,à écouter un p'tit gros rouquin 18 ans ,ni français, ni allemand ...
Bonjour Monsieur le député !
Tippler: because they can, dear boy, because they can. When you get to that age (and believe me I can see it looming up) your only pleasure in life is annoying younger people.
Dip-Dop, Dany avait 24 ans en 68, il en a 63 maintenant! Mais toujours bel homme, moins rouquin qu'alors mais l'oeil aussi mesquin et l'esprit aussi vif. De loin le plus rock and roll de tous les Deputes Europeens.
Exacte ! une confusion d'âge avec mon frangin qui était de la "fête" j'avait la tête ailleur .
Très rock and roll certainement !
Face aux CRS il fallait le voir !
Et je ne parle pas de la bousculade qui s'en est suivi...
Un sacré bonhomme !
Yes Daphne you are right. My heart gives s little leap of joy at the thought of some of my contemporaries irritating the hell out of Tippler. No offence. If they could ride bicycles at the same time my cup would runneth over:)
Tippler's going to be haunted by the cackles of old ladies ... naked.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Take that, sonny!
The Michelin tyres do sound like a nice idea.
:D
Post a Comment