Wednesday, September 19

DUNKIRK SPIRIT


100 days have passed, and Belgium still has no Federal government. The domestic and foreign press are now talking quite seriously about a definitive split. Belgium is "dead", apparently, and according to The Economist, it's "Time to call it a day". Flanders and Wallonia will most likely become independent states, and like a divorced couple, will bicker over custody of Brussels. Brussels could end up being some kind of European answer to Washington D.C. with its own special status, although there are varous scenarios being bandied about.

I suppose Flanders and Wal
lonia will have to go to the back of the queue to join the EU then?

A Belgian colleague referred to her nation as "an unstable country" this morning. Gulp! I have lived through coups d'etat in Africa, but I never envisaged that moving to Belgium would be in any way as dangerous. We Brussels bloggers could be marooned here with only beer and chocolate to sustain us! If anyone knows Richard Branson or Philip Green, perhaps they could be persuaded to set up a fund to see us through the terrible times to come. I have started stockpiling sugar, toilet rolls and make-up remover, we could be looking at an apocalyptic scenario. Should Aunty Marianne make a special visit to the Pope? If anyone can persuade him, she can.

Meanwhile I'm putting on my tin hat. The webbing holds the fruit in place nicely. When the troops come marching in I must look my best. I do like a man in uniform. Any uniform.

On reflection, it could be worse.


Does my bum look big in this?


Out of the corner of my eye I see my blog has just turned the 20,000 hits mark. I should be excited, but in the face of the disappearance of Belgium, it all seems quite trivial. I feel a sense of impending doom.

So many chips, so little time.


14 comments:

Pat said...

I'm sure all will be well. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Betty looks almost plumpish now - maybe it's my new screen - but she did have smashing pins.

Anonymous said...

Le célèbre Manneken-Pis,a mal à sa prostate !la maladie gagne Koninkrijk België ,en quelles langues régionales seront les panneaux de signalisation ?? :brabançon,champenois,flamand,francique ripuaire ,limbourgeois ,lorrain ,luxembourgeois ,picard ou du wallon !
Heureusement pour Bruxelles Saint Michel terassant le démon surveille !

Gorilla Bananas said...

Someone needs to slap the king's face and pinch the queen's bottom on live TV. That would rally people round the flag. If that fails they'll have to resolve the quarrel with a duel, like gentlemen.

Anonymous said...

Disgruntled voter tries to sell Belgium

http://www.frivolouspeople.com/2007/09/disgruntled-voter-tries-to-sell-belgium.html

Tippler said...

I quite like the idea of living in the Independent Beer Swilling State of Brussels. Although the flag is a bit crap.

But who will claim the king, eh? Presumably, he'll have to move north or south.

I wonder if he's looking at a property in the Ardennes?

Cream said...

Will Brussels become a tax-free haven like Andorra?

MKWM said...

The answer to "which country has several official languages and the best chocolate in the world?" could be Belgium or Switzerland. If a 'praline divorce' should eventually happen, then we might have a confederation called Belgianland.
But I can't help wondering... who exactly is behind that 'divide and rule' strategy?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Pat, she certainly wasn't a size zero. Marilyn Monroe was a size 16. We all know men prefer a bit of padding.

Dip-Dop, St Michel ne veille plus sur Bruxelles depuis que Marks & Spencer a ferme ses portes.

GB, what a typically gorilla response. Violence isn't the answer to everything, you know.

Gert, that ad from Ebay has been taken down now. Nobody wants damaged goods.

Tippler, I suspect the King will go where all good deposed monarchs go - Paris or London. Or possibly the Cote d'Azur.

Cream, it already is a tax-free haven if you got your foot in the door of the Commission early enough.

MK, the Economist certainly coined a phrase with "praline divorce". But is Brussels a soft centre or the nutty bit in the middle?

Anonymous said...

I am one of 20.000 hits:)))

Reading frequently since one week!!

Best regards from Istanbul!

Ozge

Soup Waiter said...

bags King of Brussels. Ha haa, I bagsed it now I'm going to ban eating raw meat by humans, only dogs will be allowed to eat raw meat in my country. Except there won't be any dogs in my country and clean streets at last!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Hello Ozge! and welcome. I tried reading your blog but unfortunately Turkish is one of the few languages I do not master (she said modestly). However, any friend of Lawrence Durrell is a friend of mine.

Jake, how on earth did a dollop of raw mince get to be called "American fillet" ? Hanging's too good for it.

Brom said...

I like Belgium, and the nice people I've met there.

Apologies for my lack of visits of late Daffers, my bloggy indicating machine thing, I've just realised, always has yours marked as "visited", I'll sort it.

PS Youcan't beat a bit of "padding"!!

Anonymous said...

Hi again Daphne,

Last 3 days I had a little vacation in Athens, what a refreshment:)why late answer!

So maybe you can read my old entries. They are in English, if you go back to the earlier years! But I am writing mainly short stories, or something like that!

By the way, Lawrence Durrell is my favorite writer! but unfortunately dead! it is unfair!!! my secon lovely writer is John Fowles!! right now I am reading the French Lieutenant's Woman! but the best of his novels is definetely the Magus! Magnificent!
and destiny, he is also dead! dont get ittttt:))

Ozge

Sidhusaaheb said...

As God wills...

:)