Saturday, September 8

A COLLECTIVE COUGH

I'm feeling a bit delicate this morning, after a stonking Friday night in the pub with a bunch of people who looked vaguely familiar. The house band Take This, despite being older than the Rolling Stones, were on great form and got the whole pub on their feet. I seem to remember dancing on a chair at some point singing "500 Miles", and surely I imagined a long involved conversation (although God knows how, you couldn't hear yourself think) with a Tory MP? I don't know which one, but I don't think it was Boris Johnson. Worst of all, I think I was drinking PINTS OF LAGER. Oh, the shame.

To soothe my thumping hangover, I'm listening to a bit of opera. Click on the pink bar, top left (a new feature! Thanks to MKWM for the idea). In memory of the late, VERY great (in every sense of the word) Luciano Pavarotti, who is being buried today in Modena (pity the poor pallbearers!) I give you Nessun Dorma. If you lived over the pub where the band where playing until 2.00 a.m. last night, you'd know how true that is.

A very Belgian protest has begun in the next street. Three months after the elections, there is still no Federal government. The three autonomous regions function perfectly well on a day-to-day level - hospitals, schools, emergency services all still work normally, and the various civil services keep the country ticking over. In fact, you start to wonder if they even need a Federal government. (That, perhaps, is the point). But certain things have to be dealt with at Federal level. At the moment Belgium has no foreign policy. No change there, then, you might say. But what about Defence? Without a coherent defence policy the country is laid wide open to any Tom, Dirk or Henri who might spot a breach in the dyke, so to speak. What if the wily French tried to invade Flanders? Arriving in droves on bicycles with onions around their necks, flooding the country with fabulous food and excellent wine, and speaking their shoulder-shrugging nasal whine with added hand movements? Unthinkable. Or - even worse - if the Dutch tried to take over Wallonia? Hidden inside caravans, speaking perfect English, handing out spliffs ... simply dreadful. I don't think we've got much to fear from the Germans this time around, but it's a worrying situation. The good Belgian burghers in my part of town have devised a robust method of protest against this appalling situation. They are hanging the national flag out of their windows. To remind their compatriots that they should think of themselves as Belgian first, and Walloon or Flamand second. Fat chance. Bear in mind that my leafy suburb is a bit like Cheam. This is the middle-class Belgian's equivalent of burning cars. It's like a big collective "AHEM!" That should bring them to their senses.





18 comments:

Pat said...

Excellent post - hang-over notwithstanding.

Anonymous said...

Envahire la Belgique !!! Oh non !!! Plutôt chanter "La Brabançonne"

Noble Belgique, à jamais terre chérie,
A toi nos coeurs, à toi nos bras.
Par le sang pur répondu pour toi, patrie,
Nous le jurons d'un seul cri ...

Pas comme ?? truc , machin ?? enfin l'autre avec la Marseillaise !

Gorilla Bananas said...

I blame the Walloons. Races with names like that are always splitters. Was that the late Harry Nilsson singing the background music to the Unison advert? Poor chap drunk himself to an early grave but he sure could sing. I suspect his voice wasn't manly enough for you, Lady D.

The Aunt said...

Leterme, Crabtree.

Anonymous said...

Aunty ,
I had a justified absence, a word of my mother!!!
Made me had totally forgotten his name! I remembered me only that he had girl's first name!

Vergeving , Yves Camille Désiré ...

Sidhusaaheb said...

That's a very novel form of protest, indeed!

I say that because in my part of the world, something so subtle might actually go completely unnoticed.

:D

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Pat, why thank you my dear. I think Nurofen is to me what opium was to De Quincey.

Crabtree, tant qu'il y aura des moules ...

GB, races with names like Walloons? Such as? Quadroons? Octoroons? I think that song was more recent than Harry Nilsson, although I was also a fan. The theme from Midnight Cowboy was his masterpiece in my opinion.

Aunty, quite.

Sahib, it's not exactly made the front pages over here.

SpanishGoth said...

I have a 'Take Twat' T-shirt if you want it. It's kind of in a Pavarotti size but I'm sure you could fashion a dress out of it - or let Scrumpy use it as a tent

Anonymous said...

Hi ! hi !
Oui,oui !
Et de la musique !
Et du bon vin ?
Et des ? comme ma pomme qui raconte n'importe quoi !

Anonymous said...

The lady ,tutti-frutti !! molto in musica !
Molto, molto cool!

Tout plein de Widjet...Chouette !

Anonymous said...

Hello Daphne,
Lovely to meet you. I feel honoured to have been in the company of such high fallutin' tootin' company.
Vida

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

I had that pavarotti in the back of my cab once. I charged him excess baggage.

Anonymous said...

Un p'tit widjet au top !!
Une p'tite visite c'est gratuit ,je parle du widjet " Free music "!!
Pour ton bonheur !mieux que ...à transmettre à qui veux ??

Pour le vin c'est plus compliqué !

Crabtree

Tippler said...

Mermaid - was the cab a Nissan Dormer?

Romeo Morningwood said...

My paternal grandparents came to Canada from Belgium and when I read about this the other I thought OH Crap..
here goes another one.

Perhaps the faux afterglow of the Colonial Era is dissipating afterall. Isn't it interesting that instead of creating a real Global Village we see many countries contracting into smaller, historically-clannish, territories.

Countries are arbitrary imaginary entities anyway. Most of them were established by convenient, definable, geographic, features as much as they were by the clans, or whoever most recently defeated them in an armed conflict.

Canada has a similar bilingual/multi cultural conundrum that won't ever be resolved until we are annexed by you know who next door.

Great post. Love the Pub story..
actually visited Boris Johnson's blog not long ago under direct orders from Vicus Scurra. Boris seems to get around?
At this rate of exposure Mr Johnson may actually attain the ubiquitous designation in the near future.

zoe said...

i've been waiting for this to happen to belgium for eons, which explains my age. i really don't understand why it didn't happen earlier - but that's belgium for you.

i still love the country though.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Goth, I would wear it to bed. It's the nearest thing to sexy lingerie anyone's ever offered me.

Dip-Dop, plutot un widget qu'un eejit.

Vida, I'm likewise honoured. You are obviously not familiar with the alternative use of the word "tootin" (and I don't mean London SW17). I would like it to be made clear that the only thing that goes up my nostrils is Sinex.

Mermaid, if Pav had been about 17 stone smaller I could have quite fancied him.

Tippler -- groan.

HE, Europe is indeed breaking down into ancient fiefdoms, if all the representations of regions in Brussels is to be believed. I'm sure I saw a door plaque saying "Delegation of the Old Kent Road to the European Union" the other day.

Zed, waiting for what to happen? The break-up? The break-down? The break-dance? I think we should be told.

Anonymous said...

Yes ,puns !! jeux de mots ?
Tous les bidules du monde ne remplaceront jamais "l'idiot"

j'prendrai bien un p'tit nurofen !?!