Sunday, April 22

A THIGH IS JUST A THIGH


I have been watching a bit of the London Marathon on the TV this morning. Purely from a sporting perspective you understand, and absolutely nothing to do with those extremely fit Kenyan and Moroccan lads who look like they are out for a Sunday stroll in their very short shorts. I'll have to turn it off in a minute or I might need a pacemaker myself.

It is absolutely sweltering here in Brussels today. And I'm afraid I have a Big Job On this weekend, so here to keep you quiet is one of the best pop/rock songs of all time, ever, in the history of the universe, to encourage those lovely boys and girls pounding the London streets this morning. Older ladies may feel the need to go "Aaaah, bless" at the sight of the very young Stevie Winwood lip-synching very badly. Here is a question for you older ones: who and/or what is missing from this clip?




15 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Jimmy Savile? That's just a guess, I've got no idea really.

Terrible that that lederhosen boss of yours forces you to work on weekends. You'll have the laugh on him when you're famous.

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I had a completely different idea in my mind of what the performance of that song looked like. The voice and the music are great and together conjure up all sorts of images of the singer in the mind and that wasn't one of them. Basically it sounds sexy but didn't look it.

And he's not the only one. I'm always disappointed when I see these old music videos. What I imagine to be great impassioned performances often turn out to be cutesy band people standing around grinning, looking as if they were singing about a church fete rather than love and loss and passion and life.

I want my rock stars to look like they mean it or at least break a sweat or something, and I refuse to accept that this is not their fault but my unrealistic Gen X expectations.

Bah.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I think this clip was from Thank Your Lucky Stars or some such pop show of the sixties, and they had to be on best behaviour. I've seen later clips of Stevie on the organ where he was much sexier. I think he was 16 or 17 when "Keep on running" came out.

The missing element was, of course, the organ, which was a pivotal instrument in the Spencer Davis Group and in this song. But as they were lip-synching I suppose they thought no-one would notice.
Spencer Davis was one of the guitarists but Stevie Winwood was the star. The other guitarist was Stevie's brother Muff (rhymes with Bough).

Pat said...

I give up. Ask me another!

Brom said...

Can't see the clip through our flourwall here at The Mill so I'll take your word for it.

I've never taken part in a Marathon, but I once ran for the bus with a Snickers in my hand. Does that count?

Thanks for the link, I will be reciprocating. When I finally stop I'll add you to my blogroll.

Tippler said...

Yep, the organ-less Spencer Davis.


Microphones might have come in handy too.

Oh, and a stack of Marshall amps.

MKWM said...

Purely from a sporting perspective... Of course, Daphne dear, I understand. Terrible to have to work when we're having such lovely sunny days. Daphne, dear, a sigh is just a sigh, courage with the big job.

I'm afraid I didn't notice anything was missing, I just enjoyed this great song very much.

Cream said...

I really abhor organ removal...
Did you know that in China, prisoners are executed on demand for their organs!
I am glad I am neither musical nor amusing!

Anonymous said...

Has this become a gay blog whilst I was away crying my eyes out!!!!

SpanishGoth said...

I hope you completed the marathon....Sedan chair with one Filipino at each corner as you gently wafted fresh air into your face with an oriental fan whilst waving regally to your fans

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Pat, see above. Hammond organ. Defined the sound of the SDG.

Brom Man, did you pass it to the bloke running behind you?

MK, three days time off in lieu hardly compensates.

Cream and Tippler, I knew I could count on your two for some organ jokes.

Banana, yes it has. Welcome back dear. Hope you're feeling better.

Goth, that was Jimmy Savile you saw, not me. He's got a new show on UKTV Gold, thank God it's not one of my channels.







MK
Cream
Banana
Goth

Anonymous said...

My comment always comes before or after Cream's. This is getting weird!!!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Yes, you two belong together like ... bananas and cream. Have you noticed how many bloggers have the word "banana" in their name? Dr Freud would have something to say about that, I'll wager.

Anonymous said...

I got missing microphones too. Goes with the lip-synching, I suppose.

WrathofDawn said...

Not only a missing organ and microphones, but who's doing the clapping?