Sunday, April 15

SOME DON'T LIKE IT HOT


“Ooh, Matilda, it’s so hot!” complained Marilyn Monroe. I am like a wilted lettuce in this weather. Wayne-Bough Towers is unbearable in the mornings, and not just because the Berlaymont is the first thing you see when you open the curtains. My residence faces East, and mornings from about 8 until midday are like a sauna, I drift from bed to armchair in a sarong, fanning myself with a copy of the New Statesman and cursing the day I left the servants behind in Africa. You’d never think I’d spent years in the tropics. Perhaps it’s my Time of Life.

I am not good with hot weather. I’m not a beach person, can’t bear grit in my crevices. Being of Celtic colouring, I do not tan. If I do go (under duress, usually) on a beach I have to be under the shade of some trees (those silly beach umbrellas just give you sunburn in the shape of the Coca-Cola logo), wearing a long white organza dress, picture hat and calling for mint julep. The sun does horrible things to me. I cannot see well with the sun directly overhead, get headaches, and cannot read. My earholes are malformed and the earpieces of an iPod will not stay in, so if I wish to listen to music without disturbing others I have to use a set of BBC radio producer headphones which makes me look like some kind of DJ doing an outside broadcast, and I am constantly pestered by youngsters bombarding me with requests for Busted and The Streets. The other alternative is to take my “ghetto blaster” as it is popularly called, and I will be the first to admit that not everyone likes Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.


As for the sea – ugh! Don’t get me started. Like many people of my generation who saw “Jaws” when it first came out, I am very wary of the sea. Even around Clacton you can’t be too careful, especially with this global warming business. All sorts of unexpected things could be popping their heads out of the water. I was once swimming in the sea when I glanced down and saw a great black thing underneath me. I didn’t know I could walk on water until then, but I literally ran on the surface all the way back to the beach, before realizing that what I had seen was my own shadow.

Swimming in the sea these days is like volunteering to immerse oneself almost naked in a sewer. Not to mention what the sea does to one’s skin and hair. Salt has its place, and that is in the kitchen. After a day on the beach I come off looking like a lobster that’s had an electric shock. I will probably have been bitten by something nasty, stubbed my toe on something septic, and have swallowed some sea water, which doesn’t bear thinking about.


I came across, in a manner of speaking, this early 19th century woodcut by Hokusai which shows the sort of unspeakable things that lurk in the ocean. It's put me right off calamari, I can tell you.




18 comments:

MKWM said...

Daphne dear, I'll be back as soon as I've cooled down. You did it again, making me giggling, that is...

Cream said...

Now, I know why this James Bond film was very popular.

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I can't take the beach for anything other than a long fully-clothed and waterproofed walk or a bit of a canter on a pony.

Sunbathing's not for me and with my colouring, sunbasting is more what's going on. And anyway, bits of beach get in your sandwiches, toes and gets places now where I don't ever recall getting it as a child. Too hot, not comfy, can't read book. I might be able to tolerate a well appointed hammock, but I don't run in well-appointed hammock circles here.

Can you get other flavours of julep? I've only ever heard of mint.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Stay in the shade is my advice. A hammock under a coconut tree is the idea location on a hot day. The sea is for the fish...and women hoping to find an octopus. I assume her last request was to be eaten out before being eaten.

Anonymous said...

Le logo Coca-Cola, j’adore ! L’un de mes beaufs...Qui a un teint d’albâtre porte des marcels « débardeur » (tricots de peaux) à trous lorsqu’il retire la chose, je m’éloigne de lui le plus vite possible pour éviter la contagion, et surtout le ridicule!

La dame toute en rose ! Est-ce une pub pour des chewing-gums Malabar? Ou est-ce un message subliminal?

Et le bien heureux calamar, prend- t-il le poulpe de la belle ? La pieuvre que les gravures du 19ème siècle par Hokusai ne manquaient pas d’esprit de sel (Très corrosif, il faut toujours le diluer dans l'eau. ...)

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Just for information, the woodcut is called "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife". That octopus is no fisherman's friend.

SpanishGoth said...

Not the most flattering photograph methinks.

I'm not a fan of the beach either - all that sand and stuff yuk. Prefer to sit under a nice canopy bu the harbour watching the waves come in, then I watch them go away again.....

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

MK, you obviously got so hot and bothered that your English deserted you. "Making me giggling ..." ???

Cream, is it a Japanese Blowfish?

Sam, I might be tempted down to a California beach just to watch the surfers. Sporting interest only, you understand.

GB, standing up in a hammock is my next challenge.

Dip-Dop, la dame rose s'appelle Bubbles de Vere, je vois qu'elle t'interesse. Je vais essayer de vous mettre en contact tous les deux.

Goth, if you don't quit the insinnuendoes, your next gig will be as Squiddly Diddly with Bubbles de Vere as your trumpet.

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Spot the falsies is what most Brits like to play on the beach when they come to visit. I am champion with 6 definite fake boobs in a 1 hour period - 6 pairs that is, not 6 boobs. This wasn't on a particularly busy beach either.

The Aunt said...

That. Was. Your. Best. Post. (in Brussels) EVAH.

I am going to be crying with laughter all evening.

Even though I now won't be able to eat my calamari.

SpanishGoth said...

BTW - is that the new poster for OctoPussy?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

STREWTH, Goth -- Cream made that joke second comment in. Do keep up, dear.

Anonymous said...

Je trouve la dame bien amusante voir LEGEREMENT fofolle, elle ne s’habille pas chez monsieur tout nu ?? Je n’arrive pas à l’imaginer dans Un Tailleur Valentino ou un tailleur de chez Dior, couleur rose ?!?!

Allez ! Grosses bises à Bubbles

MommyHeadache said...

Actually I would like to be ravaged by that octopus. With all those hands, it would be like having a group grope from a bevy of French rugby players...but without the chance of contracting STDs!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Yeah, but do you think it would make you smell of fish? (I'm sorry, I had to get that in before Tippler did).

Tippler said...

I resemble that remark.

Anyway, here's the sick squid I owe you...

Pat said...

Them's my sentiments eggsackly. And when you reach a certain age you will be thankful you resisted lying on the beach like a beached whale.

Tippler said...

Reminds me of a joke.

A bloke is walking along the beach when he spies a lovely young lady who has been buried up to her neck by a couple of mischievous kids.

"Help," she says. "Will you please get a spade and dig me out of here?"

"What's in it for me, luv? "asks the guy.

"Sand," comes the reply.