Oh to be in England, now that April's here. I spent my rehab week back in Blighty, visiting friends and marvelling at the beauty of the English countryside in spring: lambs gambolling in the fields, daffodils in bloom - I marvelled for hours, stuck between junctions 6 and 10 of the M1 where the traffic was at a virtual standstill due to road-widening works. I went into therapy to cure my blogging addiction. Retail therapy. I swept through M&S, Boots, W.H.Smith, Virgin Megastore, John Lewis, New Look and Sainsbury's like a locust. My Belgian Visa card went into meltdown and I had to resort to the spare. I met Vi Hornblower for lunch in Debenham's, where we took the weight off our credit cards over a couple of sundried tomato and goat's cheese filo tarts, washed down with an iced frappuccino and a freshly-squeezed cranberry and passionfruit smoothie. Gosh, it seems centuries ago we used to meet for a cup of tea and a buttered scone.
I spent a couple of days in London, and managed to squeeze in a trip to the Zoo where the new Gorilla Kingdom had just opened. It's terribly stylish, I think Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen had something to do with the interior, as the residents didn't look too impressed. I gazed with wonder at the large silverback alpha male, who stared back impassively. He appeared to wink. Probably just a tic. However, I nearly had apoplexy when he vaulted the fence, loped up to me on his knuckles and shook my hand politely. "Lady Daphne, I presume?" he inquired in a surprisingly posh voice. I don't know why, but you'd rather expect a gorilla to sound a bit like Phil Mitchell, wouldn't you? Gorilla Bananas (for it was he) introduced himself. He was in London on monkey business, and had recognized my trademark fruit basket hat, which he advised me to remove before the other gorillas mistook it for breakfast. When I had recovered from the shock of meeting the Great Ape in the flesh, I invited him for tea. He is certainly a most eloquent animal, and I was charmed by his delightful manners and the way he crooked his opposable thumb when he drank his tea.
I returned to Brussels to a rabbit stew bubbling away merrily on the stove, in the form of a comment on my last post from an old hoofer I worked with in Paris many moons ago in my previous incarnation as a dancer. I used to be a little coy about my former artistic career, for fear of Harold finding out, but now I don't have to worry. Or so I thought. Bette Noire claims to have seen my late husband in Milton Keynes, at the wheel of an Audi TT! A beige one, I shouldn't be surprised. I cannot believe my beloved Harold would have done a Lord Lucan. And to find out he might still be alive, just as I was coming to the end of the traditional African mourning period and was looking forward to wearing French knickers again. The shock has been so great that I fell from grace. I lapsed. I had to resort to a stronger crutch than chocolate. I am a fallen woman.Readers, I am blogging again.
14 comments:
Here via Gorrila Bananas. Have a strange feeling that I have absolutly not idea what I just read but I loved every eccentric second of it!
You will be blogrolled! So it is written so shall it be!
Thank Heavens that you did not succumb to charms of that great, hairy, ape and jump the barrier in a fit of Spring Fever!
The dominant male Gorilla has a harem and tiny testicles and all of the other fellas are out of luck (or so he thinks).
I somehow doubt that you would enjoy being a 'kept Girl-rilla'.. how tedious.
The Glenn Close stew imagery made me a bit queasy...now who will deliver all of the chocolates at Easter? HUH!?
Don't believe everything you read about gorillas, Homo Unsapiens. Nice to see Freelance here, but where are the Sprouts?
The Brussels bloggers, you mean? Search moi. Perhaps they've all followed my example and gone into rehab too. God knows some of them need it (and not just blogging rehab, if you know what I mean).
I hope you enjoyed you Civet!
glad to see you blogging again - i guess i won't see you til the 19th, although i'm literally free whenever.
it's strange working in an office with only one other person.
Oh Daphne, I rejoiced at the news.
Glad to hear you finally met the Great Ape in the flesh.
And never mind Bette Noire's allegation, it shouldn't stop you wearing French knickers again.
Christ, I come on here and I get is posh gorillas and bunny boilers.
It's enough to make a chap turn vegetarian.
Welcome back!
Tell me Daphne, is Mr Nanas everything we hoped he'd be. Is he as witty and erudite in the flesh? Is he (gulp!) really, really hairy? Oh go on, tell us how hairy he is!
Lovely to have you back, Lady D.
I would love to see the new gorilla space. I always want to blow kisses at them which makes my husband nervous.
I wonder if you were a Bluebell but i think you are too young to know Jolene? I'm so glad to be compatible with you - blog wise.
Stick with it Cynic, you'll be as barmy as the rest of them before long. Thanks for the link, I've returned the favour.
Homo(if I may), I wish you hadn't told me that about GB's testicles. I will never be able to look him in the eye again with a straight face.
GB, I can't look you in the eye. (Pffffff!!!!!!)
Cream, I used to make a great rabbit stew. Harold used to like me to leave the head in so he could fish it out and suck the brains out noisily in front of our dinner guests.
Zoe, make sure they don't all sneak out on the QT and leave you to pay the rent.
MK, French knicks are so much more becoming (and comfy) than a thong, which feels like a mirror image of dental floss caught between your teeth.
Tippler, you're slipping. That post was all about exotic dancing and French knickers, and all you saw was a gorilla and a rabbit.
Sidhusaaheb, welcome sahib! How delightful to have a visitor from the subcontinent. At least now there will be one person in this comments box who can write proper English.
Sam, he's about as hairy as you would imagine, and twice as posh. But see what Homo Escapeons says about his testicles - it might change your perception of him.
Pat, you blowing kisses might make the gorillas nervous as well. You're not supposed to sing at the baboons either, it says on the sign. I wasn't a Bluebell, and Betty Boothroyd pipped me to the lineup of the Tiller Girls. I would love to have gone round on round on that carousel wearing a sparkly swimming costume and feathers on my head. Ours was an altogether more - ahem - FRENCH type of cabaret.
The masculine gorilla dominating a harem has the tiny testicules dixit "Homo Escapeons" sic and re sic!
But it has big hands!?!
Joyous Easter lady Daphne
Sorry, I'm nieced out. Talk soon.
Post a Comment