Sunday, June 11

Some people are on the pitch

Bert is of course away in Germany for the duration of the World Cup. Did you see him on the pitch at the opening ceremony? He was the fourteenth pair of lederhosen in the seventh row. I’m supporting several teams this year: Poland, of course, for old time’s sake. France, increasingly reluctantly (especially since the exquisite Mr Cissé now won’t be playing). Ghana, my outside chance. Australia, for the relatives in Queensland. Germany, because of Bert. Oh yes, and England. My money’s on an England-Germany final. And ve vill vin.

I have just done one of those 50-things-to-do-before-you-die things. Under pressure from Millicent Tendency, I have joined a trade union! I can’t tell you which one, but if you know anything about Belgian unions, let’s just say that green suits me better than red. I do hope they don’t have any more demos like last year. Walking through the centre of Brussels dressed in a bin-bag is not going to do much for my gravitas. And as for blowing a whistle – I’ll just rattle my pearls as loud as I can, that’s the best I can manage.

I’m obviously not a natural revolutionary, but my maxim echoes Voltaire – “I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”. Well not DEATH, obviously. But the odd clenched fist and a bit of shouting. Let it not be said that I don’t know the meaning of the word solidarity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

be bailed to, after a weekend in a brands of tiny and tailored shorts. Waikiki. The most contaminated beaches come out in the open and become a topic sense to simply move more of skid rows

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Gaudencjusz, your translation software is duff. Try that again in Polish, it might make more sense.

Pat said...

Germany and England final - dream on dearie!

Anonymous said...

i've yet to see germany play, but if they beat the poles ....

i find red is a great union colour. the green trade unionists look ... ill.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Poland was robbed! Plucky little fellas held out to the end against the mighty Germany, with only 10 men in the last 20 minutes. Then somebody shouted "Free vodka!", they all turned round, and Germany stuck one in. They always get stuffed by Germany, and not just in football.