Thursday, June 22

Forza !


Italy appear to have won the World Cup, to judge by what was going on in the centre of Brussels late this afternoon. The entire Italian community of BXL was out in their cars blocking the main artery, Boulevard Anspach, between Gare du Midi and Place de Brouckere, which I suppose is the nearest thing Brussels has to the Champs-Elysees, hooting and waving flags. The centre of town came to a standstill, the cops were out in force looking fed up, a few shy Ghanaians joined in the fun, and a morose North African man gazed miserably and said "There's going to be a war". If they win the Final, Brussels will explode (along with many other cities outside of Italy). I will certainly be down there to join them for a celebratory drinky, although I suspect it might be difficult to get a pizza that night.

But I'm still keeping an eye on Ghana.



6 comments:

zoe said...

it's all fun and games at this time of the year, when the football is hot. i remember squeezing into that godawful oirish bar (that was closed down during the last Euro due to 'ooligans meeting up there, or summat) and watching italy vs .... another team. t'was a while ago, when my colleague who now studies in shanghai was here.

it was a great night. i can't remember who they were playing against, though. and i've probably got the wrong year.

Anonymous said...

You should come to London when England win! You would also have the same but worse.... They won't shut up... they still go on about when they won in 1966!!

Gorilla Bananas said...

There's something very familiar about your style of writing. Are you related to the Baron Crapulence? Fanny Cradock was one of the few women that could scare a gorilla.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Well hello big boy, nice of you to swing by. There's something familiar about you too, I think you remind me of my ex husband.

Pat said...

You dont fancy our chances then Daphne? (UK)
Can't say I blame you. I think we've lost the knack. But I do love David - as long as he keeps his mouth shut - well - doesn't speak I mean.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I can tell you're not really into football, Pat. Our team is not UK, but England. After seeing Brazil's second half last night I'm not optimistic. But I agree about Becks - thick as a plank and beautiful, just how I like 'em.