Tuesday, June 20

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Three cheers for the W.I. ! After the stunning nudie calendar which inspired a successful film starring the ageless Helen Mirren, they have now gone on the warpath against excessive packaging. I wholeheartedly approve. Apart from the fact that a plastic carrier bag is the height of scruffiness (unless it’s a green and gold one, and even then), all that plastic is really clogging up the planet’s arteries. I am old enough to remember when milk came in a returnable glass bottle, and fruit and veg were weighed out on scales with metal weights and poured into one’s wicker basket by a florid gentleman who would oftimes throw in one for luck. I am starting to sound like Prince Charles, or John Major, with his warm beer and cricket on the village green. I am listening more and more to the test match on Radio 4, even though I don’t know my LBW from my silly mid on. I find it soothing.

I am a relic from a gentler, more organic age. I empathize with the Edward G. Robinson character in a much underrated 1973 film called “Soylent Green” in which real food and the simple pleasures of nature have been usurped by a faceless military-industrial complex which feeds people unknowingly on the ground-up remains of human corpses dyed in various colours and pressed into tablet form. So far, so unappetizing. Euthanasia is encouraged as soon as people are no longer productive, and special centres are set up for the elderly to go and turn themselves in, their sacrifice rewarded by a gentle chemical-induced death surrounded by a 360° screen showing a sort of “Look at Life” (remember those?) film of the Earth as it once was, accompanied by Beethoven’s 6th symphony (aka the St Ivel butter advert).

I wondered what I would choose for my “dernière séance”, were I given a choice ? Woodstock maybe, or the Stones Steel Wheels concert of 1998 in Imax. What would you choose for your final reel, readers? You should write it down somewhere, you never know, truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Now, where did I put those frozen spinach chips again ….

10 comments:

Pat said...

I intend to have Purcell's 'Dido and Aeneas' played at the Crem as my coffin glides behind the curtains. Tthat bit where she sings in a haunting, plaintive voice 'Remember me'. Hopefully there won't be a dry eye in the house.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I'm crying already. But don't go yet Pat, you've got to finish the story!

I know what I'll have inscribed on my tombstone.

"BUT I HADN'T FINISHED!!"

Vicus Scurra said...

The Laughing Policeman.
Epitaph? "Move over in the next plot, fat bastard arriving".

Anonymous said...

Dusty Springfield singing "I think I'm going back."

Or anything by Jacques Brel, preferably sung by Scott Walker... maybe "Yesterday, When I was Young." (Shirley Bassey does an ace version of that one too.)

Talking of Shirley - Big Spender pops up as a distinct possibility... lighten the tone sort of thing.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Ooh yes, I love Dusty's voice, and as for Scott Walker - phwoarr. Whatever happened to him, anyway?

At my dad's funeral we played Frank Sinatra's "It was a very good year", which was very him. Even the vicar was trying not to smile.

Anonymous said...

He was chatting on the telly recently. He's done something rather odd, musically, but I can't remember what it is.

I first heard Dusty's "Going Back" when I was 19. Knew right then I'd need it at my funeral. Another hottie is Those Were The Days, sung by Mary Hopkin.

zoe said...

"barcelona", by Freddie and whatserface; that song about England - "Jerusalem", I think it's called - great song that my dad brought me up on.

well, he loves the song - as do I.

and another. probably by queen again, unless those brats of mine decide otherwise.

if they do, i'll INSIST on a robbie song.

not that i'd ever know as i get burnt to ashes. death: inevitable - and all i wish is to have a large party of people celebrating my death - which they probably will anyway.

the best way to go.

zoe said...

peter - i thought those days would never end .... ;)

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Actually dear hearts, I wasn't talking about what you'd like played at your funeral, but what you'd like to be surrounded by audiovisually as you are chemically helped into the beyond -- in other words, what would you like the very last images and sounds to be as you're shuffling off the mortal whatsit? But OK let's have what you'd like played at your funerals instead. Maybe there's more chance of that being realized.

I'm so relieved to hear Scott Walker hasn't shuffled off yet.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Zoe - I think you'll find that song about England is called "Three Lions on a Shirt".

I've just thought of a better final curtain, I can't say exactly what, suffice it to say it involves George Clooney and the music would be Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert. That would certainly send me off with a smile on my face.