Monday, June 1

BEIRUT

I've just got back from Polska and haven't had time to write up my hols, so until next weekend get your earholes round this band out of New Mexico who sound far too European for their own good. The combination of street brass band style, original composition and the amazing instrumental talents and pure vocals of young Zach Condon have left me quite gobsmacked. I haven't been this surprised by a band since I discovered The Blue Nile about 15 years too late. In my inimitable missing-the-boat fashion I find Beirut played Brussels at the beginning of this month. WHY didn't somebody tell me how good they were??? They're like the Divine Comedy meets the Ukelele Orchestra.

I couldn't decide which song was the best so here are three for your delectation. Tell me what you think.













13 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

A strong, manly voice from an effeminate face - just the thing to make the modern woman go weak at the knees. Their music has a Romanian peasant quality to it.

Manuel Estimulo said...

And to think he is only 15!

savannah said...

i'll have to look these fellas up, sugar! sounds like the music from underground. xooxo

Pat said...

Not my lucky day.It's fits and starts - probably my fault. Glad you're safely back.

Pat said...

How odd! It followed me and came out loud and clear. Most unusual.

Ms Scarlet said...

I'm all fits and starts today too!
I liked the middle one though... he looks cute...
Sx

Anonymous said...

When I do not know, I do not comment "à dessein" (intentionally !)

But for the pleasure !!!!
I shall not know how to to say why ! ;) My preference goes to Beirut-Elephant Gun !

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, I like that E.European feel, although the third one recalls a Mexican funeral band. Most poor countries have a brass band culture, you know what they say - where there's muck, there's brass.

Manuel, he is actually 23, but has a real baby face. Talented kid.

Savvy, qu'est-ce que c'est Underground?

Pat, perhaps your streaming was interrupted? Nothing worse.

Scarlet and Crabbers, you both voted for Elephant Gun - the clip is very French and artistique. Have you listened to the other songs on the sidebar? I'm kicking myself that I missed their visit to Brussels.

Anonymous said...

Yes !! I ironed " La Llorona by Beirut " Who also impresses me !

En fait tout est très bon !

Madame DeFarge said...

Yes, rather enjoyable (and I saw the Ukelele Orchestra a few weeks ago in London - what fun). I shall look them up and purchase what CDs they have available.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Ah, nice. I didn't have time to listen to them all but I liked what I heard of La Llorona best of all (and it sounds strangely familiar..) The brass could be Romanian, but it sounds like a version that Jim Jarmusch might use for one of his whacky films, so maybe the New Mexico aspect is not entirely surprising... just my tuppenceworth. I like it though.

Soup Waiter said...

I'm going to see Whitesnake on sunday.

patrick said...

Great videos - thanks for posting