I'm off tonight to Warszawa, Poland. Yes, some people might prefer Antigua or Mallorca, but Poland's got its own charm. It's not always about sea, sex and sun. Tarquin de Folle is joining me on Sunday, and we're going to paint the town pink. Poland, land of Chopin and Copernicus, with the grey balconies of cabbage-smelling Communist-era apartment blocks transformed by brightly-coloured cascades of flowers from May to October; grey pasta, smokey sausages, gingerbread, pickles and cholesterol in a jar; suicidal taxi drivers re-enacting the doomed, desperately heroic cavalry charge of legend; black-clad clergy and mafiosi; ghosts, graveyards, and family packs of votive candles; horsedrawn sleighs and skiing nuns; an impossible language where Mario means Maria and no means yes; battered, scarred, trampled, betrayed land which got its revenge, cold; Catholic churches filled to overflowing and condom machines in the street; ice hockey on frozen lakes in winter and fruit trees dripping apricots in summer; officer cadets in impossibly tight trousers and supermarket checkout girls dressed for clubbing. I think I've rather been missing the old place.
Anyway, this is where I'll be on Sunday afternoon. Yep, that's me with the gay umbrella sitting on the bench. Tape EastEnders for me, will you?
Anyway, this is where I'll be on Sunday afternoon. Yep, that's me with the gay umbrella sitting on the bench. Tape EastEnders for me, will you?

17 comments:
Don't forget the late Pope Ringo when mentioning Poland's most distinguished citizens. It's wonderful that they allow nuns to ski, these worthy women deserve some excitement in their lives.
What a lovely spot to listen to his music. May the sun shine for you.
My DIL goes to Poland sometimes on business and said we'd love it and my step grand-daughter has a Polish boy friend. Does that count?
Are you going to the Polish Sandals resort?
Sx
P.S Have a nice time.
But it wasn't even raining...
For some reason I am unable to see the picture, but your text does an admirable job of promoting the place. You forget to mention Marie Curie and Joseph Conrad, but any Poles commenting here will certainly give us the full list.
Franco Pole, our famous pianist !! Son of an officer of the Napoleonic army and a noblewoman Pole.
Other Poles of origin ...Jean-Pierre Mocky ( Mokiejewski ) ,Gérard Krawczyk ,Vincent Lindon ,René Goscinny,Guillaume Apollinaire !!Georges Charpak ,finally I stop there, the list is long !!!
Un très bon séjour ,Ma Lady !
Very nice.
Sounds delightful. Enjoy your adventure.
I would love to go to Poland. and not just because they manufacture really nice stockings
I live 2 doors down from an old man to whom I refer as the North Pole.
His last name is virtually unpronounceable in my tongue, could use a vowel.
I can't understand much of what he says but his wife tells me that he "huz greatz zauzage".
Monsieur Crabbers, thanks for your effort but I detect that you are not yourself a thoroughbred Pole, any of whom would have known that about half the famous people in the world are actually of Pole origin when you analyse their hereditary enough and would have given us the full list even if it took him all bleeding night. Respectfully yours, etc.
Dear sir , Gadjo Dilo Thank you !
Do you think to put me in door-to-false ?? Soit ! you say me that "the half of the renowned people are of Polish origin and that I am not a pure Polish blood" this is more probable! My list is only exhaustive and not done reference that to some renown French, not you déplaise!
But to please you know that the Homo habilis, our older identified ancestor (3 millions of years), is situated in the African cradle !! Want that I establish a list ? Which reassures me, you are not not more a pure blood, and again less a Polish!!!!
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely !
And all this in the cheerfulness :))
Oh, you're not back yet?
Sx
GB, JP2 is still Pope in Poland. They don't recognize the usurper Ratzinger.
Pat, the sun did shine - on one day. It pissed down the rest of the time. Your DIL is right, you would love Poland - it's full of flowers, and lace, and old-fashioned hospitality and gallantry. Your step grand-daughter should hang on to her Pole, so to speak. I was going to extrapolate on that, but it made me laugh so much I thought I'd leave it as it is.
Scarlet, I'm thinking of opening a resort in Poland called "Wellies".
Kim, a gay umbrella is never gayer than when the sun is shining, gaily.
Gadj, Marie Sklodowska Curie and Joe 'the Pole' Conrad are just the tip of the iceberg. Luckily Shyha doesn't hang around here any more, or we'd be here all night.
Crabbers, what about Michel Polak, Kosciuszko-Morizet and Prince Poniatowski, heirs to the throne of Poland? This Franco Pole, is he related to Franco Assassino?
Kevin, thank you dear.
Lydia, not so much an adventure any more, more an ongoing relationship contemplating marriage.
Myra, do they? Did they buy out Wolseley?
Donn, I brought back a pair of great Polish sausages with me. I think Tarquin may have sneaked one or two into his undercarriage too.
Gadjo and Crabbers, stop brandishing your nosegays at each other and get out in the forest with the pistols at dawn.
Scarlet, I am now.
My Lady : I did not add politicians ,fortunately !!!
You have some memory !!!! It is the third time ,It is necessary to be Scottish to have courage !
L’ironie fait partie de ces notions embouteillées : plus on tente de la manœuvrer, plus on se trouve bloqué dans les bouchons tant sont nombreuses les voies d’accès qui y conduisent !
L’ironie peut en effet constituer un processus bloquant !!
That's why I invite him on the ground of his choice ! Chez moi ;)
Monsieur Crabbers, I am once again in awe of your courage and your syntax! Sir, to prove I am no coward I accept your thrown gauntlet and shall be galloping my stallion to your Gallic hideaway posthaste. But then the weapon of choice is for me to decide: I have a large battered euphonium, which I intend to straighten out by use of your very person. Have at you.
Gadjo Dilo : In the only marathon the first ones are awarded a medal, what does not mean that the following ones are less deserving!
In other words, the courage of some does not imply its opposite!
The courage is the happy medium between the audacity and the cowardice,you are not indeed a coward !
I am afraid of not making the weight for your "tuba tenor" twisted ! I possess well a mandolin what is very convenient for the saeteros,but your choice concerns to a wind instrument, regrettably I have only a pipo!:) I am not going to run off, keep your stallion in box, the weather to take my armor and to saddle my proud destrier! And I am at you !!!
In any well any honour
Post a Comment