Saturday, February 7

NEVER MIND THE SITUPS

In these lean and austere times, a generous embonpoint might be construed as an unnecessary and cruel reminder to the have-nots of the social divide that plagues our society. Purely as a gesture of solidarity with the undernourished of this world I made a New Year resolution and on 2nd January renounced chocolate. I gave my last box of Corné Port Royal to a malodorous old drunk, and got nothing but abuse for my trouble, but I turned the other cheek and resolved to transform myself into a lean, mean blogging machine. Or at least get back into my ballgown. Can you believe that since I've been living in the land of chips, beer and chocolate I've put on so much weight I've gone up a shoe size? (Yes we can! - Ed.).


I must admit to a few lapses on the chocolate front, but have not binged since the beginning of the year. And, readers, I joined a gym! A proper one, with tellies and everything.
I must say keep-fit has changed a bit since I last donned a pair of plimsolls. No piano or vaulting horse. It's all electronic contraptions and swipe cards. I was a little afraid that I would be upstaged by ice-blonde Ukrainian supermodels in sweatbands and lycra, balancing their Evian bottles on their finely-chiselled buttocks. But fortunately this is Belgium, not the Cote d'Azur. My fellow fatfighters are a motley crew of lumpen and lumpy flaxen-haired and ruddy-cheeked Flemish office workers in tracky bottoms, with a faint smattering of sleek and gleaming Africans in singlets and running shorts doing a steady 30 mph on the treadmill and not even breaking sweat, to give us something to aim for. I try to position myself on a machine just behind the shiny black ones, purely for the view. Of the telly, I mean.


Of course, just because one is working out at the gym doesn't mean one should wear one's old gardening trousers. I had to actually go and buy a pair of trainers, since I don't go in much for "leezhure wear" as the Americans call it. Tracksuits are just pyjamas for going to the shops in. Personally I favour a more track-and-field look when I am on the treadmill. FloJo is my inspiration. Even when you're glowing with effort, girls, you should try to look elegant. An extra couche of Estee Lauder Maximum Cover before going into the gym will make sure you avoid that just-boiled lobster look.


I got a free hour with a personal trainer, a slim young man with eyelashes to die for but very poor customer skills, who only managed to look interested at the point where I was supposed to sign up for his services for an extra monthly fee, so I am muddling along on my own. I tried a group session, which was disastrous - wearing varifocals, I couldn't see the instructors through my legs, they were going much too fast for me to keep up with the movements, and I kept getting vertigo and having to stop. It must have looked like an sketch by French and Saunders. I decided group exercise is not for me.

I must confess to a dirty little secret. I have a weakness for the smell of a sweaty male armpit. You can keep your endorphins. The pheromones wafting along from the guy on the next machine keep me on a "natural high".

I am taking it very easy to start with. I don't want to keel over with a heart attack. I set the treadmill to the lowest setting, "sitting down". Only when I feel I am ready to move up a notch will I progress to "shuffle to bathroom", then "aimless meander to the end of the garden with occasional stops to smell the flowers", before working my way up to "leisurely stroll to the cake shop". I am preparing to feel the burn.

Meanwhile, I would recommend Mr Bean's workout routine for the faint-hearted.



22 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Well bravo, Lady Daphne, but I hope you don't overdo it to the point where your thighs resemble those muscular nutcracker handles.

xerxes said...

Chiselled buttocks, gleaming Africans; milady, your fans grant you those, and grant them happily, without cavil or demur. But please don't tell us that you have a thing for Rodney Atkinson, or whatever tf his name is.

Autolycus said...

As I recall, the original Daphne didn't fancy running (fair enough), nor getting caught by Apollo (what on earth was wrong with the gel?), and preferred instead to become a vegetable:

"Heavy numbness seized her limbs, thin bark closed over her breast, her hair turned into leaves, her arms into branches, her feet so swift a moment ago stuck fast in slow-growing roots, her face was lost in the canopy. Only her shining beauty was left."

So be careful, Ms WB, you never know....

Madame DeFarge said...

Ms WB - your gym sounds rather more entertaining than mine. As mine is attached to work, I only manage to see my dishevelled colleagues in a state of advanced sweatiness. I fear that we need some of your companions to grace our presence. And we're only allowed to watch the BBC New 24 channel, such is our dedication to duty

Ms Scarlet said...

Not to worry Daphne... I have an award for you at my place.
Sx

Pat said...

Don't lose too much embonpoint - there aren't many of us left (and I'm not talking plastic titties). The trouble with group exercise - if you have a very healthy diet - as do I - there can be little moments of unplanned flatulence during unfamiliar exercise which brings a warm glow of shame to one's cheeks.
Don't go mad!

Zed said...

It ate my comment! Your blog will start putting on weight at this rate - does it go to the gym too?

Romeo Morningwood said...

HAHAHA!

I would love to see your perfectly manicured FloJo talons...Grrr.

If one had to exercise in the midst of a portly spongy populace then Belgium sounds like the place to be. Since 50% of my DNA is pure stout Belgian chocolate it has been busy gobbling up all of the tall blond chiselled German/Swede components..like PacMan..up and down my Watson & Crick they go chomp-chomp-chomp-chomp-BEEP

Kudos for not schlepping in the gym. There is no reason to look like you feel and let's face it, people are there to leer, gawk, and satiate their inner voyeur.

Your keen ability to sense the scent of hornymones is damn-near Vampyric...your ability to contain your desire to feed is admirable.

underOvr (aka The U) said...

DWayneBough,

I too have at times renounced certain things which I now realize were for the better. However, I draw the line on chocolate! I do not consider it an addiction although I have participated in routine binges which I refer to as "Chocolate excursions".

I have admiration for those who make these annual pledges to change, re-invent and right-size their life. It is quite admirable and noble. When change is necessary for me, I will change; as long as I keep my chocolate.

underOvr

Anonymous said...

Mr Bean's ankle disclosure really cracks me up.

(I'm a big fan of the sweaty armpit too - but it has to be a particular person - not just random man's)

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, my thighs don't need any work, however it's very difficult not to exercise them as every damn machine seems to be leg-powered.

Inky, no I don't although I suspect I looked a bit like him in the group class.

Lycus, that was a fairly accurate description of the effects of a half hour on the treadmill.

Mme D, what I wouldn't give for the BBC while I'm working out. It's usually Angela Lansbury dubbed into French.

Scarlet, why thank you dear! I will come over and give a Gwyneth-like thank-you speech tomorrow.

Pat, you obviously need to work harder on your buttock clenching.

Zed, my blog's eating to compensate for the calories I'm burning.

Donn, I'm up to a smart marching pace now. I must get some military music for my walkman.

U, as usual, British vernacular is somewhat less wholesome. If you are planning any chocolate excursions in the UK, stay away from Old Compton Street.

Myra, I rather like his putting-on-stockings move. I don't get off on random armpits, but I can detect the right kind of pheromone right across the dojo. Usually emanating from very ordinary looking men, too. It's an animal thang.

Gadjo Dilo said...

I've always had a thing about armpits (ladies armpits) too and had assumed that I was alone in this! Can you get me the phone nr. of that Afro-Belgian lady athlete pictured? I bet she has a couple of them like burnished bronze chalices.

Ms Scarlet said...

Some group exercises can be fun...
Sx

Brom said...

I still do circuit training, in a mixed class. I miss the '90s tho. Then it was all cycling shorts and thong leotards. The girls looked quite nice too.

Ché l'écossais said...

You can still find those old Jane Fonda videos on Ebay, about 20 cents a pop I should think.
Who says VHS is dead ?

And I'll sell you a couple of old bricks I'll steal off a worksite tommorrow, 15 €.
Much cheaper than those step-on, step-off gadgets they flog on the shopping channel, more environmentally friendly too, and they come with a delightful rustic finish.

Sidhusaaheb said...

I didn't know that the 'settings' on a treadmill could be so innovative.

:D

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Gadj "Burnished bronze chalices" - such poetry! Do you have lyrical descriptions for other unfashionable body parts?

Scarlet, which one were you thinking of exactly? Twister is my favourite.

Brom, I wish you hadn't said that. I can't get the thought of you in a thong leotard out of my head. I feel slightly sick now.

Ché, I've got a better idea. You lie down on the floor and I'll step on and off you. If you lend me your Doc Martens I'll wear them to do it.

Sid - long time no see! Happy New Year. Yes, these newfangled machines are great, the newer ones even have built-in TV screens and a coffee dispenser.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Oh, and Ché - 'on the shopping channel' - WTF ??????

Anonymous said...

Just bring a nice civilising G&T along with you when you exercise, hun'. You'd be amazed how much fun exercise is with a water-bottle full of Gordon's.

xerxes said...

Sam, no, no no no. Never gin, it's a lethal depressant. Vodka is safe, I don't know why.

Ché l'écossais said...

You wouldn't want to ruin a decent pair of Doc Marten soles with toxic slime like me.

The shopping channel offers hours of harmless* amusement and rare comedy. I won't hear a word against it.
Great bargains too - I'm buying* you Mr T's LoFat IncrediCooker, in almost washable AcryLickan, for the incredibly lo lo price of - oh, it's impolite to price gifts...but it comes with lots of FREE accessories.






*Harmless until I finally manage to hack your credit card number, anyway.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

If you get tired of gyms try yoga. It's slower, people are nicer...are supposed to be. I can't imagine doing yoga to Mick Jagger though. Hm.