Sunday, January 4

DEJA VU

So that's another festive season survived. I always have the most immense sense of relief when it is over, and usually so does my credit card. Remarkably, I did not spend a fortune in the UK as I had anticipated, as I was not near any shops at the right time, and the one afternoon I had free they were mobbed and I ran away to Tesco. However, when the Visa purchases I had made came through translated into Euros, I thought seriously about getting right back on Eurostar. If this exchange rate lasts, I shall be needing a frequent traveller card. I have also been catching up with Christmas TV which my lodger was kind enough to wake up and record while I was away. Hamish Macbeth, the History of Scotland, Rab C Nesbitt ... now I am a great fan of bonny Scotland as you know, but I have to say his range with the remote control is a bit limited.

Paul Merton's retrospective of the work of Morecambe and Wise was a joy. Pure genius. How weird is this though: I had planned to post the Greig's Piano Concerto sketch, and entitle this post with a quote from the sketch, "For another four quid we could have got Edward Heath". This rang a vague bell, so I checked my back catalogue and found that on 4th January 2008 - i.e. exactly one year ago today - I had posted the same clip, with the same title (and the same mistake in the quote).

I think I'm on a loop.

Oh what the hell, it's still funny.





17 comments:

Autolycus said...

Ah, poor Mr Preview - did he ever get his date at the Palace?

"All the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order": it could almost be a blog title, don't you think?

Gorilla Bananas said...

The little face slap of Mr Preview near the end was a delight. I forgot that was one of Mr Morcambe's trademarks.

Ms Scarlet said...

Nothing wrong with repeats Daphne, as long as they're not the burping kind...
Johnny Vegas is the latest to rip off a M&W sketch in the latest PG tips ad.
Sx

Lulu LaBonne said...

I adored that pair and I get intensely irritated when I see Reeves and Mortimer doing their talent-drained version of Morecombe and Wise.

Pat said...

Talking of repeats and deja vu I must be on the same loop - see tomorrow:)

Kim Ayres said...

Always worth a repeat :)
Happy New Year

Kevin Musgrove said...

Nice.

I could have done with more M&W and Eddie Braben and less guest stars to connect with the tweenie audience. Ah well...

Mr Farty said...

I love a decent repeat. I think it's the sprouts.

Happy New Year, Daffers!

Gadjo Dilo said...

I hadn't seen them for years, thanks! "Follow that with the sealions" - I'm with Kev in crediting the gag writer.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Mr Preview looks absolutely bloody awful these days. He was attractive but in a weird way when young, now he looks like something out of special effects. That's what being married to Mia Farrow does for you. However, he was brilliant in the sketch, stayed deadpan throughout.

GB, they had many trademark gags that people have forgotten - the curtains, the paper bag trick, and who could forget the immortal song "Boom-ooh yattatatah" ?

Scarlet, ladies do not burp. At least not in polite company. One goes out into the rose garden if one has to. I checked out the Vegas/Monkey ads on YouTube, have to say I cannot see any connection to M&W at all, unless there's a new one I haven't seen.

Lulu, Vic Reeves is not worthy to hold Eric's paper bag.

Pat, at last! The happy ending we've all been waiting for! Everyone, get over to Pat's now. It'll make you go all crinkly.

Kim, it will be compulsory viewing on this blog.

Kev, quite right. And Merton didn't include the Boom-Ooh-Yattatatah song.

Farty, you .... oh happy New Year to you, too.

Gadjo, that whole sketch is studded with gems. My favourite line is "I'll get my baton ... it's in Chicago."

Ms Scarlet said...

It's a new one Daphne... My rose garden [bit of patio and a deck chair] is covered in snow at the moment, so I will try to keep my burps in.

Ms Scarlet said...

Here's the link for Johnny Vegas doing the M&W breakfast stripper sketch.
Sx

Anonymous said...

I have just eaten the last of the chocs, Daphne dahlink, stuffed in and sucked, mmm, mmm, delicious, the chocolate melts and then the centre oooozes gently out over my tongue. Thank you so much.

The advocaat I am eating with a spoon. A tablespoon. At great speed to ensure that Desmond doesn't get any.

Mwahahahahaha.

Best,

Vi.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Lady Daphne! May it be ticklish in all the right spots.
x

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Scarlet, Johnny Vegas is no substitute for the chimps.

Vi, so glad you enjoyed them dear. I am also eating advokaat out of a jar, as the heating has, predictably, broken down. Did Desmond like the book? Jacques Delors is essential bedside reading, I feel.

Achilles, go and stand in the corner. We'll have none of that sort of thing here, thank you very much.

Sam, thank you dear, and all the best to you and yours over in OchAye, CA.

Madame DeFarge said...

Ms W-B, thanks for dropping by my blog.

I am impressed by your selection of M&W sketch. It is one of my absolute faves. They are comic supremos and entirely suitable for mature women like ourselves. No inappropriate smut. Or appropriate smut either.