Saturday, April 5

PUBLISH AND BE DAMNED



Ring out the bells! Le tout Brussels welcomes the reappearance of UpFront after a four-month absence, in a new handy format (somewhere between A4 and A5), with lots of colour photographs and a much more professional look. This is almost certainly down to the influence of new Art Direct Suki who has applied her architect's expert eye to the layout and general appearance, and additions to the team such as Andy Carling who is not only an ace photographer but writes quite well too. Editor Tony Mallett aka Tippler who is sadly missed in the blogosphere for his deep and insightful views on, er, football and Slovakian barmaids, has managed to put his stamp on the new improved UpFront, as can be seen from the front cover photograph. From little acorns mighty oaks do grow. Perhaps that is not the appropriate proverb, given that a few trees probably had to be pulped to produce this issue, but being old enough to remember when Time Out was a mere listings rag, I am excited to be a contributor to this soon-to-be Esteemed Organ. And by the way I've got a restaurant review on p.36 which you can soon see on my food blog, Daphne's Dinners.

I do hope the film "Hippie Hippie Shake" will be shown in Belgium when it is released, even though it won't mean anything to any non-Brits or indeed any Brits under 50. The Oz Trial in 1971 was one of the seminal influences in the awakening of my radical consciousness. I think I even bought a copy of Oz once, just to annoy my elders. What a shame I didn't keep it. Young people today (oh dear it's a bad sign when you start a sentence like that) don't realize what an exciting time the late 60's and early 70's was. It was so easy to rebel against one's parents, everything upset them. Nowadays parents want to dress like their kids and listen to their music, which is no fun at all. Parents, please play the game! While your kids are growing up and going through that necessarily rebellious phase, pretend to be an old fogey. It's no fun for you, but it's enormous fun for them. Homer and Marge Simpson should be your role models. Once they have flown the coop you can start listening to Amy Winehouse and wearing Converse again.

I missed out greatly on pop music in the 1980s, due to (a) having no kids and (b) living in France, where they play the songs on the radio without much commentary, so you don't get to know who's who. Hence I spent many years thinking that the singer of "Money's too tight to mention" was a black woman. (No really, try listening to it while watching an M People video with the sound turned down). I was also distracted by my explorations of French popular music, from Gainsbourg to France Gall via Brel and Johnny, and the seeds of my love of jazz and weld music were being planted by the marvellously eclectic Parisian radio station FIP. Hence I didn't pay too much attention to the UK charts for many years. I got quite excited once, in the late 80s, at the sight of two lovely perma-tanned Young Men in shorts on the TV jumping about singing "Wake me up before you go-go", only to find the French were showing the video to mark the end of Wham! Missing the boat seems to be an occupational hazard for me.

My years in the tropics during the 1990s didn't help me to catch up with the UK charts, but did broaden my appreciation of African music. At the end of the 1990s, I found myself in Poland which was still stuck in the 1970s and to play a gig in Warsaw or Gdansk was a sure sign of There Go the Remains of My Career for any visiting bands, Jethro Tull and Rick Wakeman to name but two. Hence I arrived back in the UK just after the turn of the millennium and looked at the lineup for Glasto with total bewilderment. I didn't recognize one name on the bill apart from Donovan.

Now I have access to the BBC again, sadly TOTP is no more, and Jools Holland is on too late for an old fart like me with an hour's time difference to boot. However I am lucky enough to have a younger person in my household who keeps me up to date on the music scene. McChe (for it is he) grew up in the era of punk, which was never really my cup of tea, although I still maintain that I invented the fashion for wearing safety pins on the outside of one's clothing back in 1974, when I could not be bothered to hem my jeans properly. My wee lodger often calls my attention to something new. "Hoots mon, Daff-bags," he will shout, usually while I am trying to watch Eastenders, "Come and have a listen to this!" And I will have to put my knitting down and shuffle across to the computer where he will plonk the headphones on my head and make me listen to something horrible. "Well it's not exactly King Crimson, is it?" is my usual response. But sometimes I will go back and have a listen when he is asleep of an afternoon, and occasionally I revise my initial harsh judgment. Of course he won't ever know this, as he no longer reads my "stupid blog" and has now gone back to hacking into the Kremlin. But I have to confess to singing along to Radiohead in the metro the other day. There's life in the old girl yet.




14 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

It's posts like this that make me wonder what happened to Kid Creole and the Coconuts. Was the Oz trial about the exposure of Germaine Greer's hairy crannies? It all seems pretty tame these days.

Autolycus said...

Yes, and nowadays you can't get her to put them away...

It's just struck me that life is so much easier with classical music. There's so much less to have to keep up with.

Soup Waiter said...

Jools Holland and his blues band were at Ancienne Belgique last night, a gang of us went to see 'em. Great night.

Sidhusaaheb said...

Upfront...Hmmm...The cover photo shows what is upfront too... :D

The contents appear to be about eating and drinking and then bedding down in a hotel, with a lovely lady like the one in the photo... :P

Er...why take the trouble to go to Brussels, when one can do that in almost any city in the world? :D

Gamb0 said...

Nice blog Daph, and best wishes for the relaunched Up Front mag. I'll grab a copy before my next trip across the Channel.
You can always record Jools of course - I'm usually nodding off by the end myself these days and have to catch up at a later date! A terrific show for music lovers though. Did you know that he is an Old Shootershillian also? Other than his ex music teacher he does not have much good to say about the old place.

Anonymous said...

"Wake me up before you go-go" was a seminal (queer word if ever I saw one) moment in the post-punk proto-ironic zeitgeist that was 1983.

And those bastards at the Kremlin have gone and changed their password again.
Now I can't access their "Important Western Leaders XXX" porn folder they keep on their desktop anymore.
If you thought Major & Currie was sick-making, wait 'til you see the Lawson-Maggie-Tebbit bondage video .
It's awesome - in the real sense of the word.
*spoiler* - Maggie isn't the Dominatrix !

Ah well..off to hack the Great Firewall of China.

Free Tits er Tebbit er Tibet, and all that...

Anonymous said...

...there's also a Tony and Cherie video, but honestly, it's really dull.

Bloody catholics.

Pat said...

I'm not keen on Hucknall's appearance but I like his voice and a lot of his songs and used to play them in the car.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ha, living this far from most things I fret about being able to keep up with what's going on *out there*. Maybe I should just wallow in my far-away-from-everything-ness. Nah, I want to know.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

...about NOT being able to keep up, I mean...

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, I'm surprised Kid Creole never played the Congo, with a backing group called the Coconuts. Mind you that's probably one step lower than playing Gdansk. Coconuts is probably what they'd have been paid in.

Autolycus, that's the same argument that my late husband Harold used for always wearing beige cardigans.

Jake, I'm sorry I missed that. Especially now I know he's from my neck of the woods.

Sid, UpFront is a listings mag aimed at expats living in Brussels. You wouldn't get much further than the front cover, I suspect.

Gambo, I don't think you can get it in W.H.Smith, but I'll send you a copy if you e-mail me your address. Are you planning a visit to the Big Sprout? We may have to organize a blogmeet welcome for you -- it's like finding yourself wearing a red and white scarf at a Millwall match. Well I never, Jools an old Red Lion Lane boy. I believe he still lives in Blackeef, alongside Glenda Jackson, Sandie Shaw and Terry Waite.

McHackey, you ... oh never mind.

Pat, I preferred him when he had the long red hair and looked like the Lady of Shallott. These days he looks like Martin McGuinness's successful drug-dealing pimp younger brother. (No, Mr McGuinness, I didn't say your younger brother WAS a drug-dealing pimp, honestly, please put that gun down, I only meant... )

GG, I remember that feeling of isolation from my days out in Africa before we had satellite TV and stuff. BBC World Service is not really in tune with the street. Time to invest in a sat dish perhaps? Zed has a couple she wants to get rid of.

Anonymous said...

A wonder of post

Mon dieu !!
Si j'aurai su j'aurai pas v'nu !!
Non ! c'est une blague ! j's'rai un vieux chnok ?
Moi qui sous mon casque d'argent ( chevelure ) écoute de la sicmu déjantée et Tutti Quanti.
Moi qui joue encore de la console ( Prince of Persia , Zelda , Final Fantasy )
Moi qui met des futales jeans , sweet et pompes dernier cri !

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Zed's friend will bury my head in the shed if I take that there dish!

Anonymous said...

I find it really insulting that everyone thinks the tits on the cover were T's idea ( ;) )...it is a fab piece of art on a hotel wall, and yes it was my doing.
And I am not ashamed...