Friday, April 11

ISN'T IT ICONIC?

An old leather bag. And a Louis Vuitton case.

Keith Richards has left it a bit late in the day to become a poster boy, but, persuaded by royal snapper Annie Leibovitz, he has finally agreed to do an ad campaign for Louis Vuitton, of all things. He was chosen not, as you might think, for the similarity between his face and old leather, but for his "iconic" status. A 21st century icon is something to be. Apparently expensive travel goods evoke an enviable lifestyle of luxury hotels, limousines, and unalterable chic. Well, if you can't marry a President, I suppose advertising suitcases is the next best thing.

Louis Vuitton is a brand that I never got. Its colour scheme of mud brown and mustard doesn't go with anything. And its bags are made of vinyl. VINYL. I have been known to purchase vinyl that looks like leather, usually on a market for about a fiver. But vinyl that looks like vinyl ... ? At those prices? I can't imagine Keith actually owns anything made by a company whose initials also stand for Luncheon Vouchers. But at least he's proved he's not doing it for the money - he's donating his fee to Al Gore's Climate Project, and did not have the bare-faced cheek to advertise the fact either. I had to dig around on the web to find that out.

Not so self-effacing Jerry Hall, Dennis Hopper and a bunch of other "peepol" (as the French call celebs) have accepted to endorse Mandarin Oriental hotels in return for advertising loudly the fact that their fee has been donated to a charity of their choice. Ahhh bless. Although I cannot knock the good works, it smacks of the Bono School of Philanthropy -- it does almost as much for the charity as it does for their image.

Luggage is the new ... er ... Barclaycard. French smoothie Jean Reno sits on his Samsonite in a becalmed wooden boat on the Seine, like some kind of drug smuggler waiting for a pickup. The words "iconic" and "identity" are batted around in the blurb for these campaigns, often under a pithy heading, such as "Life is a journey", with intensely meaningful subtitles like "Character is all about retaining a strong identity". Deep or what? For heaven's sake -- it's a flippin' SUITCASE!


Jude Phwoarr, sorry Law, advertises something for Dunhill although it's not clear what. I think it's "lifestyle", a nebulous product beloved of those who eat polenta and pancetta, and who have papparazzi rather than petunias in their herbaceous borders. I suspect these ads work their charm better in the Far and Middle East, where Jude Law is probably revered as some kind of god. I remember a time when a Dunhill lighter was a status symbol. Now I don't know anyone who owns a posh cigarette lighter.


Luxury goods companies are trying to out-do each other with their "new face of". Away with those pouting hair-flicking French footballers, young British actors are the flavour of the month. Keepin' it real, y'know? Euan McGregor, once yer actual fairtrade eco-warrior, is now the face of Davidoff's "Adventure". His motorcycle trips round the world bestowed upon him the aura of a rugged adventurer. One hopes that thanks to his new friends at Davidoff he smells a bit nicer than he probably did for most of that journey with Charlie Boorman. I don't know if he donated his fee to anyone, perhaps Bikers for a Free Tibet?

I wonder why they didn't ask Michael Palin? It must have been the bike that made the difference. A man with a big throbbing machine between his legs will always win out. Poor old Henry Cooper is left looking oddly disappointed in this 1972 Brut ad:





22 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Keith Richard reminds me of the six million dollar man before he was rebuilt: "A man barely alive" as they said, but still looking better than that grinning twerp Barry Sheen. Now what was his girlfriend's name? "Hotpants" something?

Sidhusaaheb said...

Here, in India, we have movie-stars selling almost everything, right from toothpaste to biscuits to soft-drinks to motorcycles to cars. :D

SpanishGoth said...

Of course Richards advertises suitcases - who else do you know with crocodile skin?

Pat said...

Keith used to be beautiful. A before and after photo would be a great ad for a no-drugs campaign.
I agree with you about Vuiton - dreary sludge - reminds one of rexine 3 piece suites of the thirties.
Isn't that the actor who played 'Leon' in the boat? Great film.
Jude Law: I don't love ya cos your head's too big.

Gamb0 said...

Keith is still beautiful. He's just a bit battered. Reminds me of my world travelled Uncle's old leather suitcase that was plastered with scars and stickers from all sorts of strange places, and defunct airlines like BOAC, who were once great. Don't think he ever carried a bottle of Brut in it though!

Anonymous said...

I was persuaded that with your "p'tit" hat your "p'tit" coat and your glasses of star whom you had a "p'tit" bag Vuitton , to see a copy!!!

" J'adooorrreee tes lunettes !!! "

Anonymous said...

How well placed Ewan's hands are...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Funny how, with the right images and sounds, people can be persuaded to buy anything! The fact that Annie Leibovitz herself snapped that shot will persuade many in some unconscious way.

Vinyl? So the fake LV bag someone gave my grandmother ages ago, might be the real, genuine vinyl-thing? I still don't like it.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Spot the over-50's: anyone who thinks Keith Richards is and was beautiful! (Me included). And can remember BOAC.

I've seen worse adverts for not doing drugs. Kids of both sexes, now as then, would still rather be Keith than Barry Sheene. Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde both modelled themselves on Keith.

Anonymous said...

Ai je commis une bévue une faute de goût un crime de lèse majesté ???
My most sincere excuses !!


Keith Richards " A rolling stone gathers no moss " ( Dans un voyage, le plus long est de franchir le seuil )

Le Samsonite de Don Juan Moreno y Herrera Jiménez ou Don Juan Moreno y Jederique Jiménez, (JEAN RRENO ) navigant sur Le Grand Bleu "Dit Léon" ,ou Victor "le nettoyeur",est un agent spécial du gouvernement !!

Krimo said...

Keith is looking more and more like Manitas de Plata nowadays.
He plays the guitar nearly as well as him.

Anonymous said...

Class ad from the 70s! Love it!

I spent a half hour or so talking to the original Old Spice sailor at a party last Christmas. He's aged well, and went on to father Matthew Perry. I didn't ask if there was any Old Spice involved in the conception though. I wouldn't want him to feel awkward about brand loyalty or anything. I'm thoughtful like that at Christmas parties.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

If you lot don't believe Keith is immortal, watch this. Ho ho ho and a bottle of ... vodka.

Crabtree, all the better to see you with, my dear. They are my trusty Vuarnet glasses with pink tinted lenses, to see "la vie en rose".

Krimo - I saw Manitas several times in concert in the 70s, and even sat next to him once in his club in the south of France. He looks more like Germaine Greer these days. He can't really play, just does warming up exercises really fast ad infinitum. Paco de Lucia is the Man.

You should introduce Old Spice to Posh Spice, Sam. Does that mean Chandler is Baby Spice?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

This is for Gambo and Pat: Keith gets to be centre stage for once, with his own band the X-Pensive Winos, at Seville '92. It's six minutes of sheer Keithness.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

He reminded me of someone in that last clip. And it wasn't Johnny Depp. Do you think he has a twin sister?

Anonymous said...

I am an imbecile ! The effect Impulse , sans doute ?

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."

Gamb0 said...

Oh Daphne, you sure know how to satisfy a man. I love 'goin down'!
I paid about 2/6 in the late 60's to see the Stones in London and a bl**dy fortune to see a 'Bigger Bang' in Cardiff last year. That's inflation for you - worth every orgasmic penny though.

Pat said...

Keef forever! Yeah! that got me goin' and it's only 6.30am!
BTW my sister was a stewardess with BOAC and received an award from Sir Miles Thomas. She has just upped sticks from the US of A and gone to live in Italy - aged 80 - alone.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Crabtree, sadly all too true. Men don't make passes at me even when I take my glasses off.

Gambo, you are close to my ideal. Charlton supporter, Stones fan, and loves "Goin' Down". What more could a girl ask for.

Pat, that was worth the cost of the hearing aid wasn't it! You've allayed my worries about us all getting closer to Max Bygraves as we get older. Rock on, gran!

Gamb0 said...

Well, well Pi. My (much, much older) sister has just reached her 6th decade, put her Notting Hill flat on the market at an exorbitant price, and is swanning off to Italy to teach young men English. She is under the impression the men prefer older women! How about a little sibling freeloading this summer, via Brussels to pick D up of course?

Romeo Morningwood said...

Keef is a miracle of modern..um..better living through chemistry! That's it!

That guy did look like Palin..and why was he smooshing half the frickin' bottle on his breasts?
Anyway Brut was for sissies, real men wore Hai Karate!

Romeo Morningwood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.