Sunday, April 13

NUN BUT THE BRAVE

Monks have been very much in the news lately, first in Burma, then in Tibet. I wonder if the Dalai Lama is really such a wise man as people think -- he giggles an awful lot.

I have been fascinated with the monastic life ever since seeing The Sound of Music. I identified not so much with the squeaky-clean Maria, but with the crafty old Mother Superior who hid the Nazis' spark plugs under her habit. My rendition of "Climb Every Mountain" has reduced grown men to tears.

Pope Benedict XVI is currently in the USA, and is starting to come out of his shell. JP2 was a hard act to follow, but notoriously shy Benny is starting to wear the look of a man who's just realized he's irresistible to nuns.






10 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I've always had a soft spot for nuns since Bad Lieutentant. They could do a lot better than Pope Benny.

Anonymous said...

De Sœur Sourire ( Jeanine Deckers ) à Sister Act (Whoopi) everything bursts me !!
Sœur Clotilde,ballade en « deuche »

zoe said...

Nuns. They're bloody everywhere. That's what happens when you live 5 minutes away from a nunnery.

That and the bells.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Gamb0 said...

Is Benny on a recruitment drive in the States then Daphne? Apparently the number of Catholic nuns worldwide declined by about a quarter during the reign of Pope John Paul. I must say that I haven't spotted any down the Valley in recent years!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, I liked Sally Field in "The Flying Nun", I always liked nuns who could do tricks.

Crabtree: Dominique, nique, nique, la la la la la la la .... Et merci mille fois pour l'extrait du Gendarme de St Trop' - La bonne soeur conduit comme moi! (J'ai appris à Paris - un tour de l'Arc de Triomphe à la première lecon, ca s'appelle un bapteme de feu).

Zed, if you are really destitute it's nice to know you have a charitable institution nearby. Does Q lope around in tights with one eye shut shouting "They made me deaf, you know!"?

Gambo, all Catholic nuns support Celtic, don't they?

Anonymous said...

Moi aussi j'ai fait le tour Place de l'Étoile ,et ensuite la Petite Ceinture ( les boulevards extérieurs )et puis de Porte D'Orléan la N 20 .
Et je confirme c'est bien un baptême du feu !! C'était en 73 .


Sœur sourire est l'autre surnom de ma dulcinée ,pour cause elle se nomme Dominique ,et elle a un certain caractère ,euh ! non plutôt un caractère certain !
De plus elle a une conduite irréprochable ,enfin ? Quelques accrochages « indépendant de sa volonté » !
Elle a déboîté le portail de la mairie de Royan , six Mètres de large par trois de haut , celui-ci peint en vert se confondait avec la verdure environnante ??
De plus notre voiture n'était pas équipée de par choc latéral comme sur les auto-tamponneuses ??
Une autre fois dans le centre de Royan près du marché ,les services techniques de la ville avaient ,les imbéciles !
Posés des plots en fonte pour soit-disant embellir le pourtour du dit marché ,et bien entendu la voiture prise d'une envie soudaine c'est précipitée frénétiquement sur l'obstacle ?? Huit chevaux ça ne se maîtrise pas facilement!!
J'ai eue une Lancia delta HF turbo de toute beauté qu'elle a bien entendu conduite aussi , en reculant sur le parking d'une grande surface ,une petite Fiat toute fofolle surgissant d’on ne sais où, s'est jetée bêtement sur la boule d'attelage ??
Pauvre petite ! Elle fut coupée comme avec un ouvre boîte de l'aile AV droite les deux portières et l'aile AR droite !La faute aux constructeurs qui font les carrosseries de plus en plus fragiles!

Pas plus de Pape que de Saint-Christophe au rétroviseur !!

Anonymous said...

The Leaping Order of St. Beryl About 2 or so minutes into Not Only...But Also.

And the song from the original Bedazzled film.

Screamingly funny.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Nuns have been around all my life, friends of the family they were.

And I attended a Catholic high school. Apart from one extremely sour nun who eventually left to get married, the nuns were really cool, quite easy-going.

Pat said...

OK you be Mother Superior but can I be Maria? I do a great Julie Andrews. After she lost her voice.