Thursday, October 25

THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY?


I whizzed up to Antwerp on the train Friday evening to meet the esteemed Mr and Mrs Cream who were over for a wedding. What a delightful evening we had. Cream said he was hungry enough to eat a horse, so I took them to a restaurant called De Perdestaal where horse is the speciality of the house. Funnily enough, when it came to ordering, everybody suddenly decided they wanted fish, pork or something else. The food was delicious, but I must refrain from describing it in detail or else I will breach the terms of my exclusivity contract with UpFront magazine.


I hadn't been to Antwerp at all this year and was reminded, when I got there, of what a wonderful city it is and why it is Belgium's New York to Brussels' D.C., Sydney versus Canberra, Rio to Brussels' Brasilia, Lagos as opposed to Abuja. Brussels has civil servants, Eurocrats, grey suits, sandwich bars, whereas Antwerp has designer shops, nightclubs, enough restaurants to eat out every night of the year and never come back to the same place twice, broad boulevards, imposing architecture, lovely parks, a sense of grandeur, and ... a river! The Schelde is broad and majestic as befits one of Europe's biggest ports, and there is a maritime theme throughout the city, right down to the legend of Ant, the chap who saved the local citizens by cutting of the hand of the ogre Twerp and throwing it into the Schelde. Oh and there are the diamonds too.


One of the major sticking points in the current political impasse is, in the event of a separation of Flanders and Wallonia, who gets Brussels. Who in heaven's name would want it if you've got Antwerp? Perhaps they're arguing about who doesn't get Brussels.


Antwerp railway station, possibly the most beautiful example of grandiose 19th-century Leopoldian architecture, is being "modernized". The original marble concourse is undergoing renovation work, and I pray that when it is finished it looks nothing like what has been thrown up behind it in the working part of the station, which is appalling. Ultra modern, escalators, computer screens, shopping mall, ugly modern concrete blocks ... I thought I'd arrived at a different station. I came in on a platform about 100 feet below sea level, three escalators towering up in front of me and almost completely blocking the rear view of the main station. It now looks like London's Waterloo station. Well done Antwerp town council.


Despite the last fast train back to Brussels being slightly less comfortable than a cattle truck, I managed to nod off several times, notably between the Gare du Nord and the Gare du Midi, sailing unconsciously through the Gare Centrale where I had planned to get off. In fact if I'd woken up 30 seconds later I'd have ended up in Charleroi. And that's not where you want to be at one o'clock in the morning.


This morning the STIB (Brussels metro system) decided it would be a good idea to send the cleaners to wash down the steps to the platform with soapy water at 8.30, right in the middle of the rush hour. They also think it's a good idea to renovate all the platforms on all the stations at the same time, so all the passengers receive maximum inconvenience equally. I am in favour of the new big metro trains (sorry tree-huggers, but they make my journey to work much more comfortable) but why, oh why, do they only send them out in off-peak hours, and come the rush hour, we get the rattly old ones? Perhaps they don't want to get the new ones dirty.

Come back London Transport, all is forgiven.


7 comments:

Cream said...

Thanks for a great evening!
The wedding was international.
Enjoyed Antwerp very much.
Driving in Brussels? Mad!

Gorilla Bananas said...

The horse? We call it the stripeless Zebra in my part of the world. Strictly lion food. I would have ordered a vegetarian starter followed by a vegetarian main course garnished with fried locusts. Have you ever travelled by coach, Lady Daphne? I have heard that passengers sometimes amuse themselves by singing songs on coaches.

Pat said...

Isn't it lovely when you have a good blog meet? I've only had one but it was so nice. With Granny P and her beloved. I was nervous of there being two of them but he behaved impeccably and came from the north so I immediately felt at home. Penelope is a great gal. And a published author of course.

Anonymous said...

Must tell you the legend about Brabo and the giant Antigoon one day or another...
My chauvinist side inflates with pride at your loving words for our wonderful city. We are quite proud of our grand central station. We have no other choice than to be proud, we had to wait twenty years for a somewhat finished station (they're re-doing the façade now, for the umpteenth time).
But it is a long hike from Hades-level to the ticket counters. Seven minutes I am told.

Anonymous said...

I do not like to comment on a particular day, which as a result was very good.
For transport I have them escape (Subway, boulo, beddy-byes in Paris) not very jojo.
Ah! architecture, one can my domain, as history, but I do not know Antwerp!
Then the horse, even though it gives some iron for the anaemic (iron on horseback definitely sure) and that this done Roman bring us their barbaric usage during the conquest of the Gauls by thinking that the Celtic people it thinks of outdated prop finally!!

I hope not to be even the last??
An admirer

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Cream, it is I who thank you, dear friend. If you found driving in Brussels mad, how do you manage in Algiers?

GB. you have been reading about the charabanc, or perhaps you saw it in a Ken Loach movie. It's where the hoi polloi enjoy themselves on the works day out. A tradition which should be revived in the interests of maintaining a happy workforce.

Pat, I felt I had known Cream for years. Which I have in a way. He is also from the north - north of England and north Africa.

Adam, you are a bit of a pain, please go away.

Bart, the main building of the station is gorgeous, and I hope the renovations don't alter it. It's just that you can't see it when you arrive on a train now.

Crabtree, that comment was more obscure than usual. But it will serve as a good brain-teaser for my other readers.

Soup Waiter said...

I read that book "they shoot horses, don't they?" it's very good but it's not about shooting horses. There was a movie with Paul Newman too but that wasn't as good.

I sometimes wear a grey suit but I'm not a eurocrat, nor a eurobrat or eurotwat, could be a eurostar with a eurovision but more likely a beer swilling git in a grey suit. I don't know what the point of that was.