Thursday, May 17

THE ONLY WAY IS UP


Today is Ascension Day, a holiday in most of Catholic and not-so-Catholic Europe. We get a day off work, and it's usually contrived to fall on a Tuesday or a Thursday, so we can make the "bridge" and get a four-day weekend. I shall be ascending into the heavens myself on Friday courtesy of Iberia. Over the years I have overcome my fear of flying by repeating the mantra "I trust the man, I trust the machine" -- the man being the pilot. I was a little disconcerted once on a LOT flight where the pilot turned out to be a lady. A number of male passengers in my vicinity discreetly crossed themselves.

Not many people have a clue what the Ascension feast day represents. It is about Our Lord Jesus Christ physically rising up into the sky to join his Father in Heaven, causing great surprise to the Apostles, even doubting Thomas, who thought he'd seen it all and bought the T-shirt. The things some people will do to get out of paying the bill. They say what comes up must come down, but to this day, despite manifold promises, OLJC has not come down again.

In these irreligious times, the Church needs to broaden its appeal by celebrating everything that ascends. The festivities would involve fireworks shooting up into the sky, and people could decorate lifts, ladders, and staircases with flowers and ribbons. The symbol would be the arrow, and congregations could join together in singing "Stairway to Heaven", while a team of archers fired arrows into the sky trailing silver ribbons.


Any sport involving elevation would become a sacred and religious activity on Ascension Day, and high-jumpers, pole-vaulters, and rock climbers would be feted and appear on a special edition of A Question of Sport. Mountains and hills would become places of pilgrimage, and Arthur's Seat would be besieged by the faithful, filing religiously to the top singing "Nearer my God to Thee".


Popular songs extolling the joys of ascent would become hymns, such as "Get on up (like a sex machine)", "Higher and higher", "Up up and away" and "Come fly with me". Richard Branson would become the High Priest for a day and would fly over England in a hot air balloon. Competitions would be held all over the home counties for the most original way of ascending into the sky. NASA would make a commemorative launch bearing celebrities who would broadcast from space. Paris Hilton in zero gravity would be something to see.

Oh it's really taking shape now. I'm writing to the Vatican immediately offering my services as spin doctor and events coordinator. If you can think of any other events that would make New Ascension Day a popular festival and bring people flocking back to the Church, please let me know. I'll make sure your name is put into the hat (or mitre) as a candidate for sainthood.

In the meantime, let's help to celebrate New Ascension Day by Getting Up something today!




21 comments:

Shyha said...

Hahahaha!

Great. I think getting up of bed is something worth notifying as well :D

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Indeed it is, Scrumpski.

Where is everybody tonight? Oh that's right, they're all down the pub.

Anonymous said...

Stupeur ce matin en me levant..., comment cela est il possible???, j’ai constaté que !!!Non non, oh pardon ! J’allais dire une bêtise!
Un concours de lancé de chapeaux ça c’est bien !
Loin de se transformer en « Tarzan », le parcours aventure ou l’Accrobranche, tel un …je réfléchi, gorille ! C’est bête ?
Mais cela me laisse le temps de trouver quelque chose d’original.
Nous avions, lorsque j'étais haut comme trois pommes assises un jeu barbare, nous prenions un hanneton ont lui attachait une patte, et c’est à celui qui le faisait monter le plus haut possible qui gagnait, la petite bête qui monte, qui monte Cruel non ?
Surement que l’expression « pas piqué des hannetons »viens de la ! Pour exprimer une certaine intensité, une qualité particulière
Chez les Berbères, il est le symbole du mouvement, de la rotation et de l'envol.
Avoir un hanneton dans le plafond : être fou, avoir l'esprit un peu dérangé la tête en l’air.

Sidhusaaheb said...

I'm reminded of Billy Joel's song, titled 'Uptown Girl'.

:D

Tippler said...

Did my best, Daffers.

Spent the day in bed and had to CARRY Laura to the pub...

*winks*

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

We could all get together, join hands and make stuff up. Make it way, way up.

Or we could send bullets up at high speed to lodge in the breasts on seagulls.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'll represent the tree climbers. Evel Knieval is obviously the man to be put in charge of this. He's got the ascending experience and he found Jesus last month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Knievel

Brom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brom said...

Remember, "What goes up, must come"

Brom said...

Oh, forgot the going down bit.

Pat said...

I'd like to getup the nose of the Aga person who phoned me in the middle of this!

MKWM said...

I have become a Greek Goddess and didn't even know about it!!
So, New Ascension Day and Getting Up something? Oh dear, I guess this means I should take the Stairway to Mount Olympus...

SpanishGoth said...

Does lifting count. I like lifting, mainly because I hate stairs

Anonymous said...

Tête en l’air que je suis ! J’ai le cerveau lent ?

Je ferai le tour du monde flottant au gré
Des brises, des cyclones, des rafales et du mistral
Pour qu’une fois revenu je puisse te raconter
A quel point cette Terre et ses gens sont presque immoral

The Aunt said...

Let me see if I can rise to the occasion by bringing in some modern languages. The German for Ascension is Christi Himmelfahrt.

I think that's elevated the tone sufficiently. It's certainly always cheered me up.

alex said...

http://prieslar.info/?search=Tomasz+Rudolf
http://prieslar.info/?search=www+dzwonki
http://prieslar.info/?search=Schwarzkopf
http://prieslar.info/?search=Spolium
http://prieslar.info/?search=www+bramka+sms
http://prieslar.info/?search=torrenty+dla+dzieci

alex said...

http://prieslar.info/?search=aukcji+internetowych
http://prieslar.info/?search=taniec+z+gwiazdami+dominika
http://prieslar.info/?search=Ogranicznik+napiecia
http://prieslar.info/?search=Gospodarka+planowa
http://prieslar.info/?search=Wojciech+Zagorski
http://prieslar.info/?search=nabor+na+aplikacje

alex said...

http://prieslar.info/?search=50+cent+teksty
http://prieslar.info/?search=czity+do+pobrania
http://prieslar.info/?search=gacek
http://prieslar.info/?search=Stepien
http://prieslar.info/?search=pantofle
http://prieslar.info/?search=Lozano

Richard Wintle said...

Ricardipus said:

you've got a spammer.

Also, I missed Ascension Day, does that mean I have to Go Down instead?

/argh joak mode

alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.