Body revived and mind reslain. Or is it the other way round? I have just staggered off the Thalys high speed train from Paris, feeling exhausted, jaded, hungover, and bloated. A good weekend, in other words, despite the disappointment of the match result. I may have contributed to Scotland's defeat slightly by cheering every time France got the ball for the first 20 minutes. It was that "Ecosse 2007" written on their shirts that confused me. I was growled at by the great hairy Scotsmen all around me, and Angus McSporran only cheered up when he saw the result of the England v. Wales match.There were also lots of people in funny hats who were not Scottish, from the Commanderie du Clos Montmartre, or friends of the Montmartre vine, who made interminable speeches about the Auld Alliance, firewaters French and Scottish, and initiation of various dignitaries into the ancient and sacred brotherhood of the raised elbow. We were about to nod off when we were rudely awakened by the warlike drumming of Clan an Drumma, a bunch of fierce and wild-haired tattooed Highlanders who made a hell of a noise, amplified even more by the acoustics of the elegant Town Hall atrium. I had slight palpitations, partly brought on by the drumming, but largely due to all the men in kilts.
On Saturday morning before the match the Police Pipe Band entertained the Parisians in the Place des Abbesses. The timing could have been better. They arrived just as the church bells started ringing. And ringing. And ringing. Eventually they decided to start playing, in competition with the very loud bells.
Not usually being one to blow my own bagpipes, I must overcome my natural shyness and urge you all to go ahead and buy Mike Atkinson's Shaggy Blog Stories, in which you will find contributions from such leading blogueuses as three-time Bloggie winner Zoe of My Boyfriend is a Twat, three-times a night man Tippler Does Brussels, and three times a lady Peter of Naked Blog. I think I also spotted Vicus Scurra and one or two other reprobates in the list, although the post-Parisian fog hasn't quite cleared yet so I'm not sure. Oh, did I mention that I'm in it too? £4 or something per book goes to Comic Relief, so click HERE. Now. Go on, you know it makes sense. And while you're at it, go and visit Mike on his own excellent blog Troubled Diva.I'm having an early night. Too much enjoying oneself at my age takes it out of you.
18 comments:
Ho !ho !ho ! Restons « fairplay » et bons joueurs, honneur au vaincu et à son public !!
Hi !hi !hi ! Les Vignes du Seigneur chez les gueux de Montmartre !
Avez-vous été intronisée ?
Shaggy Blog Stories !!! OK dès qu’il parait en français j’achète ! Et ensuite viendront les félicitations, pour l’instant cela reste exclusivement du domaine de la communauté british « bloggeuse » je ne suis qu’un chien dans un jeu de quilles !! c'est un peu arriver comme un cheveu sur la soupe!
Mea-culpa
Ne culpabilise pas cher ami, all is fair in love and war. Je ne pense pas que le bouquin sera publie en francais, c'est un projet special a but charitable, mais je me demande si quelques uns de tes histoires sont des shaggy dog stories, peut-etre apres avoir bu un hair of the dog!
'three times a lady' peter at naked blog - i think i nearlly weed. and yes ma'am, you're in at n° 71 - right after me, to bring back some class and proper writing to the book.
glad you had a good weekend :)
Glad you had a nice weekend but 3 times a night Tippler? You're having a laugh - 3 times a year is pushing it.
Congrats again on the red thingy though ;-)
Felicitations!
Sounds like a great weekend!
And congratulations!!
Zo, watch your back. I'll be right on your tail in the Bloggies next year (if I remember to pimp).
Goth, it was tongue in cheek.
Lux, thanks! You can do my portrait for the dustjacket if I get a book deal!
Cream, a change is as good as a rest to a blind bat.
I'm not so sure about 'well meant hospitality'. The French love to encourage Brits to get drunk and make asses of themselves.
I shall look forward to the book but why do they charge you in dollars?
You can switch it to euros or pounds with the arrow, Pat. Although it didn't like my Belgian Visa card, had to use my British one. Being an international money laundress comes in handy sometimes.
I'm sure it was just the knowledge that these were polis men that prompted the French to hand over free beer. I've seen bottles of spirits and brown envelopes handed over the bar at Christmas time, to cops in uniform!
I must have been having a Nelson moment - I saw no ships er arrow! Anyway they didn't reject it so it shluld be OK.
When one of the boys was marrying a French girl we were warned that the naughty French would try to get the young men legless and so I warned them all and you guessed it - they all got completely legless and the French had a great time. C'est la vie!
You're in the book, félicitations!!
Now then, where have I seen those Scots before...
Mais je suis charitable ! Je vous félicite, et je pense bien qu’il ne sortira pas en français !
That would break the charm !
When to hope that I can compete, I do not there think even! I am too shy, Hi! Hi! (For the moment)
Félicitations Daphne
Congrats on the Shaggy Blog thing Daphne - most well-deserved.
I find it very hard to fancy anyone in a pipe-band but there are more and more of these Celtic rock bands comimg up with their wild-man ways and their fusion music; they will gladden the housewife's eye all right.
daffers - i think it's time for me to move over and let others win, so i won't even be watching my back, let alone where i walk.
Did you know Pat came 3rd in the Battle of the Blogs? This circle of bloggers has some quality material!
Glad you enjoyed whooping it up with my fellow countrymen in Paris.
I have a dastardly plan Daffers, re Shaggy Blog Stories, by the way...
Mwa ha ha ha!
Daphne, you're on! When's the book coming out then? :)
It's out already, flux. I think Daffers has put a link up somewhere...
*signs virtual autograph with special message for flux*
Post a Comment