
"My name is Daphne Wayne-Bough and I am a blogaholic."
Until exactly 12 months ago today I had never blogged. I was clean. My worst vice was a tendency to write restaurant reviews for Embassy magazines. And then, mad with grief after the loss of my beloved Harold, I read an article about blogging and a year ago today posted the very first piece on Chocs Away! about the Binche carnival. (Yes I know there's one dated August 2005, but I didn't actually post it until March 2006). Little did I know it would lead to an addiction which would consume most of my spare time and quite a bit of the day when I'm actually paid by someone to do something else.
I did not get a comment until my eighth post, on 18th May, and I placed it myself just to see what it felt like. It felt good. On my ninth post (20th May) Zoe of My Boyfriend is a Twat left a comment. She had to really, the post was about her. On the tenth post (21st May), someone said “I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.” It was that nebulous character “Anonymous”. My eleventh post on 25th May got two favourable comments from other users: Robin who said it was a “Tour de France” and Wrath of Dawn who said it made her scream. Whether from pleasure or pain was not clear. By June (15th post or thereabouts) Zoe had linked to me and I was starting to benefit from the patronage and pimping of blogging’s answer to Heidi Fleiss, with visits from Peter of Naked Blog, Pat of Past Imperfect, and Vicus Scurra of West Hampshire (VSOWH). Anonymous was still a faithful visitor, and kept telling me how much he or she liked my blog.
The first time my comments box went into double figures, 20th June, it gave me a "buzz", as I think the expression goes. The fact that the ten comments were a three-way conversation between me, Zoe and Peter is irrelevant. I was hooked. Sometime during the fateful 2006 World Cup I actually met Zoe and Quarsan, the world-famous Twat, in person. Vi Hornblower thinks blogging is giving me hallucinations and calls them my imaginary friends, but I know they are quite solid, some more than others.
By the end of June, Aunty Marianne, f:lux, ProblemChildBride and Cream had joined this particular circle of Hell. They linked to me, I linked to them, the blogging equivalent of sharing needles. On 6th July came the second landmark, 20 comments. I was starting to feel like Judy Garland in “A Star is Born”. An apt analogy, as it would turn out. In August the comments started to creep up into the high 20’s, and on 15th August the pinnacle of my blogging career – 36 comments for “My Gay Umbrella”. Never matched since. In October I jogged along at a steady 10-15 comments per post, and was getting more and more regular hits from the likes of Shyha, Banana, Frontier Editor, Dr Maroon and Calamity Tat. Sometime during that month I installed Site Meter and started to count hits. I remember being very excited when I went past 1,000! But of course I was already craving more, more, more. I was on a hiding to nothing.
By November I was occasionally hitting a heady 30 comments on a post, although sometimes as few as 5. I started getting careless, and made silly mistakes. I made a passing reference to a certain notorious North African head of state and was bewildered to find I had suddenly acquired a regular visitor from the People’s Jamarahiya. I ambushed him/her/it into betraying its presence, then deleted all references to the good colonel in every post and it disappeared. Proving it was a spy computer. Although I like to think of the great Muammar himself sitting in his pyjamas in front of his PC, chortling over my blog.
I made contact with more denizens of
In January of this year I turned my first 10,000 hits and in February my first restaurant review was published in UpYours UpFront, the
Last week I was proud to be a contributor to Shaggy Blog Stories, a compilation of blog posts sold for charity. Although this is some kind of temporary redemption, I feel almost certain to relapse. Blogging will be the ruination of me. I am therefore going into rehab this Saturday for a week, and hopefully will come out clean and rejuvenated. Until the next time.
The moral of this sorry tale is, for any disheartened novice bloggers out there, that a blogging habit takes perseverance. If you don't want to end up like me, don't even start. Just say no. If you do want to end up like me, however, follow the advice of Robert the Bruce, during a bout of cold turkey:"If at first ye dinnae succeed, try, try, try again. Git they fuckin' spideys awa', the noo."
Indeed, a few more tries would have come in handy last Saturday in Paris.
22 comments:
Robert the Bruce is buried in Dunfermline, a mere caber's toss from where I was born.
Perhaps this explains why I don't like spiders much either...
I always get freaked out by this kind of posts. Theys start by explaining how wonderful it's been, only to end by explaining why the blogger feels its time to stop.
Please don't!
Er, happy blog birthday?
Just wanted to say that I know how it is; 1 year ago I had no idea what the point with a blog was, and now I have 3 blogs and think about blogpost all the time. I feel like something would be WRONG with me if I stopped thinking about blogs or how to write about something. I am such a blogaholic.... should have a club!
As I understand, be.bart, this is only a one-week sabbatical. Perhaps Lady Daphne will confirm as much for her fans' peace-of-mind.
I was tempted to leave a comment on the delightful Binche Carnival post, if only because of the reference to Randall and Hopkirk. I never did find out whether old craggy-face Randall mated with the widow Hopkirk. Does anyone remember the last episode? How do you feel about widows mating with their late husbands' work colleagues, milady?
I'm very glad you are addicted. I was under the impression that you had been going aeons longer than me. Just goes to show how very professional - blog-wise - you are and lang may ye bide. Just read be-bart. Don't even think of it!
Well, I am very glad to have met you near the beginning of your fabulous blog and witnessed the birth and flowering of Lady Daphne.
I'm glad Nanas said you were only away for a week. For a minute there I thought you were doing an Ivan the Terrible and quitting at the year-mark. Don't quit, Daphne. Here's to the past year and the years to come on Chocs Away!
Though you can't see it, I'm raising a forkful of macaroni cheese to you. Macaroni cheese is my Wednesday morning breakfast food of choice. Seriously. I'm hungover and only this will do.
Speaking of Judy Garland there is an exciting and popular new group on Yahoo called THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE. The group features hours of ultra rare and unreleased audio files by Judy, great photo’s, lively discussions, and more! The membership has the most ecletic gathering of Garland fans anywhere and includes fan's old and new, Judy’s family members, friends, people who worked with her and saw her perform, directors and producers of Garland related projects, authors of Judy biographies, historians, and more! The only thing missing is you. Please stop by our little Judyville, and check it out, you may never want to leave!
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/
Nice merry widow smile, Daphne. Looks like you're rejuvenating already with this new picture. Your blogaholic friends' moral support is granted during the forthcoming rehab week.
Tippers, I imagine you know a bit about tossing. The caber, I mean.
Bart, it's not adieu, it's just an au revoir, or "Hoi" as I think you say oop north.
f:lux, thank you, it's hard to believe it's only been a year, I've made so many good friends.
Welcome Elisabeth, I think we should form a support group, we might even qualify for some lottery money.
Quite right, GB. Just a week in the Priory and I'll be back among you. As for mating with Harold's former chums, neither Bodger nor Fatty Fortescue are my cup of tea.
Pat, you are also a rising star of the blogosphere, no.3 in the Battle of the Blogs, I fear we might be in competition for a Bloggie next year (if Zoe will keep her promise to butt out).
Sam, macaroni cheese is one of my favourites too, but not for breakfast. But I'll bear it in mind for the future.
Dan, thank you. Are you a friend of Dorothy?
MK, time everyone saw my teeth. They cost a fortune.
remember who linked you first! well done, daffers - and i'm not running for next year's bloggie, so fight it out between those of you who i nominate :)
happy blog birthday - and don't stop.
xxx
I believe I did mention that in paragraph 2, Zed. I owe my early success to you (although I think the trainer wheels are off now) and I shall pay tearful homage to you when I am doing my acceptance speech for the Best European Bloggie next year!!
We also befriended each other. It makes me sad that you forget. . .
Oh and don't quit. Everyone needs a break. Cept I hit my limit before you did and came back all refreshed. Well done on preserving. . .
You've done us proud in your first year, Daphnée.
I am sure though that it is only "Au Revoir et à demain..."
Cos blogging is like chocolates.
If I could just intersperse here without being impolite, I have promised never ever to enter any blogging Battles ever again. Not never. My family would kill me! And it gave me palpitations
Hang on, so your blog birthday falls on the same day as Aunty's real birthday?
Did she invite you round for the office bread bun fight?
Congrats me dear - but to the Priory? Jeez - you must be loaded (but I suppose that's how people end up in there anyway).
See you when you make your Prison Break (hope you didn't get any silly tattoos to use as a map)
May your blog live long and prosper...
I think that's what they say?
Congrats Old girl, been great reading all along.
Has it only been a year? I feel like I've known you forever. Keep up the good work. Stiff upper lip and that.
The Brussels Blogscape is enormously enriched by your presence, and I for one am proud to hail you a thorough Blogess.
I suspected as much, about the eco-warrior. Come on, 'fess up. You've been John and Yoko-ing for months, haven't you.
I am reminded of the song Batdance (OST: Batman)...It says something like "Keep bursting!"
Post a Comment