Having lived for over six months within spitting distance of one of Brussels' best chip stalls, I had to do it. On my wobbly and unsuccessful search for a doctor's surgery (I will rant about the overrated Belgian health service on another occasion) I felt the need for a sit down. Martin's frietkot was within my sights. So I did what a woman had to do. I went and queued up for a portion of allegedly the best chips in Brussels.I stood behind two young men who put in an order for something exotic sounding. I heard the word "andalouse". Spicy. Oriental. They were discussing the football while they waited. I stood on tiptoe to see over their shoulders. Martin was busying himself with great half-baguettes, and taking his time about it. Would this be some kind of Belgian kebab he was putting together? What kind of spicy sausage would be going between the halves of French loaf? During the good five-minute wait, I noticed with approval that his chips were being cooked lovingly in time honoured fashion, in two separate vats of oil. The first to cook the potato, the second to crisp. The penalty, I learned from the lads, was a diabolical liberty.
I was intrigued when I saw Martin slathering pink sauce onto the bread, and then gobsmacked when I saw him pile chips into the two halves of baguette, and serving the boys three massive chip butties. A Frenchman would have fainted dead away.
I stepped up and ordered my small frites for 2 euros. Martin took a scoop full from the pre-fried batch and double-fried one portion of chips especially for me. Well you can't complain they're not fresh. They were served in a paper cone, with a dusting of salt. I did not wish to adulterate them with mayonnaise, sauce "andalouse" or otherwise. (Funny that they never have vinegar in Belgian chip shops. The continentals threw the baby out with the bathwater when they dismissed British cuisine thirty-odd years ago. Between the wobbly jelly and the overcooked Sunday roast, there are still a few gems of British cooking, and Sarson's malt vinegar on chips is one of them).
I sat on a bench in the Place St Josse and ate some. They were good. They tasted of potato. They were golden and crispy. But, as someone once said (I think it was Pat): a chip is a chip is a chip. As an accompaniment to a nice haddock fillet in breadcrumbs, with some brown bread and butter and a nice cup of tea, they would have been fab. But to be honest, when you've got the tail end of flu, sitting on a public bench in February eating chips is not really where you ought to be. I ignored the poster inviting me to take my snack into a scrotty bar across the road to eat whilst being ogled by a bunch of lumpen riff-raff, wrapped the remainder of my chips carefully, and finished them off at home with a good dollop of tomato ketchup.
Some Belgians will tell you that the only way to eat Belgian fries is outside in the open air, out of paper. There really is a gap in the market for a fish and chip restaurant in Brussels, I feel. Where is Harry Ramsden when you need him?
33 comments:
I thought I'd left chip butties behind when i left Lancashite -that's Lancashire. The only comfort is I know you will eat your double carb double fried snack elegantly. Be warned! I have just had to change my slimming Laura Ashley trousers for New Look which means I can breathe without it all hanging out.
Hope you're feeling better.
there is, apparently, a fish and chip place in tervuren - i've never been myself. and i've always been told that the best fritkot is at place jourdain - although i don't know if it's still as good since it burnt down (and was rebuilt).
sauce andalouse - yum, and sod the french when it comes to frites - it's a belgian specialty. i once bought a belgian cookbook for someone leaving the country and i'd show you how to make the perfect 'frite' but the book is out of print :(
anyway, i hope you're feeling better now.
In the last few years Harry Ramsden nearly had his chips...
There was a massive one near the Metrocentre but it ended up being trimmed down due to a lack of clientele.
I still prefer a fish supper from our local chippy although the chips aren't as good as the double-fried ones.
We serve a mock Andalouse with our Boureks... Mayonnaise with added Harissa! Mmmmmmmmm...
Double-fried chips? Sweet Jesus, what a stroke of genius!
You're right though, chips without vinegar are like a day without sunshine.
Good to hear you're feeling a bit better, Daphne.
Chip butties in Belgium? You'll be telling me next you can get Heinz Baked Beans at GB.
The only way to eat chips in Brussels is loitering round Rue au Beurre/Grand'Place on foot with frites mayo from Fritland. Especially in the rain.
Glad you're feeling better.
sugar plum, i was delighted reading your chip bit about all the sauces or vinegar you could put on them without the dread ketchup---and then you went home to it. i'm so disappointed, my dear. i do think the best of your choices would be cream's harissa mayo. i like the local chipotle mayo best. please, loose that disgusting chemo-sugar ketchup! love, mme chapeau
Harry Ramsden? They opened one of those in Embra a few years back; it was posilutely amazing. Sadly, it was also in the middle of nowhere and we never did go back.
Get well soon.
x
Pat, I crook my pinkie when eating out of paper, just to show that I don't usually resort to such primitive practices. At the place Jourdain frietkot they give you a little fork to pick your chips up with. But it's much posher in that part of town.
Zoe, Antoine's is more impressive and has more things to eat with chips, it's true. I do not wish to learn how to cook chips, there seems little point when I can walk down the road to buy them, and am only likely to do that once or twice a year.
Cream, my Marie-Rose sauce is similar - mayo and the dreaded ketchup! In fact I made some for dipping prawns in last night and it was delicious.
Sam, do you still call them Freedom Fries over your side of the pond, or is all that silliness dying down?
Mrs T, you have obviously spent some time here in the big sprout. I suspect there's a lot more about you worth discovering, but you are not going to drop all seven veils at once.
Mme Chapeau, I am sorry. I only eat ketchup with one thing - chips - and I don't eat them very often. Oh yes and I put it with mayo when I have prawns, which is also not very often. It just so happens I did both this weekend. I remember you once showed me how to make mousseline de mayonnaise, a recipe which I may feel compelled to publish on this blog at some stage.
Mr Farty, I believe up in Scotchland you call it a "fish supper". Why is that? We just go out for fish and chips. And then come back with curry, a pie or a saveloy or something that is patently not fish.
mrs T, oh but you can! and some darling reader of mine informed me that at his local GB you can even buy branston pickle. i'm over the moon, as one can imagine.
Glad to hear you're well enough to venture outdoors, milady. Chopping into pieces, double-frying, dipping in sauce? Sounds like cruelty to potatoes. My friend Ray Mears would just cook them in an underground oven.
Daphne & Zoe - I have indeed spent an extended sojourn in the Big Sprout, not too far from Wayne-Bough Towers. I was most upset to find an English food section at GB in Cours St Michel that did sell Heinz Baked Beans and tomato ketchup. Do any of you Bruxellois(e)(s) remember The English Shop with the delightful Mrs Phillips?
hi there. this may be taking things a little too far but belgian fries dot com will help you get your very own frietkot up and running. not sure where they stand on the vinegar issue however...
http://www.belgianfries.com
p.s. i can wholeheartedly recommend the canterbury fish and chips at the marie josef on the Brussels fish market
I'm not keen on Canterbury fish'n'chips... All you get is a load of fish tales!
Marie-Rose, oooh you posh lady! Try adding a drop of Worcestershire sauce, a grind of black pepper and a dash of dry white wine...
mrs T - i tend to avoid any english shop over here. over-priced and besides, when in rome ... etc
hercé - if i were to go back to the marie josef, the last thing that i would order is canterbury fish and chips! that restaurant is so over-priced. i wish 'la truite d'argent' still existed :( but the owners are doing fine with it's transformation into a rather twee little hotel.
The chip shop that I occassionally visit has vinegar - that of the Sarsons brown variety, which can be purchased from Cauliflower (sorry - Colyrut).
As for the place jourdan fritterie - 3 words - bag of shite
Disagree. Antoine's place was named after moi and is therefore, by definition, the tastiest friterie in Brussels.
Probably.
Wow, hold up! There is a fish and chips restaurent in Ixelles, we go there on Sundays. It is lovely. nice and clean and you get to sit in and get served the grub to your table.
As for the frite baguettes, I love them, they do a special with burger, chips, mayo and ketchup. I love it.
DQ - well tell us where then!
Dearest Daffers, the addition of any type of vegetable (even potato* which is technically a tuber) to a meat dish automatically makes it a full meal. Since this particular meal is generally consumed in the evening, it becomes "supper". Hence "fish supper", "haggis supper" or (only for those with arteries of Teflon) "deep-fried Mars Bar supper".
*Or potatoe if you're an illiterate Merkan Vice-President. Oops, oxymoron.
zoe - it is over-priced but there is something charmingly boat-like about it. that must count for something..
OK guys, spill the beans - UpFront's premier restaurant critic wants to know where is (a) the fish & chip place, and (b) the Marie Josef?
marie josef - opposite Citadines hotel (but on the same side of the Square) on the Pl St. Cathérine. Over-priced - last time I ate there was .... 17 years ago ? my father used to swear the 'François' was the best restaurant there and don't go anywhere near either of the 'Rugbyman' (even more over-priced than the mj - and not that good, either). if the 'visman' still exists, that's not bad - and 'cheaper'.
Chez Francois is one of Bert's favourites. I suppose it is the nearest thing to Harry Ramsden's. Except you don't get a cup of tea and brown bread & butter.
The frite baguettes are called 'mitraillettes'. Apart from chicken, you can have tasty fish & chips at Hector's.
Antoine's chips are not that special anymore but the good thing is that you are welcome to eat them in all the surrounding cafés with a good Belgian beer.
The best chips are the ones you make at home, and of course, I know the recipe. However, I'm glad with any traditional cornet de frites I can eat while sitting on a bench or walking around, with or without the plastic fork. That would also be sauce andalouse for me.
Here we've done something extra with the good ol' spud...we boil, mash, then roll the potato into balls with hot, spicy batter, fry. Aloo...that is, potato ball. Laced with green mango and pepper sauce.
zoe - could it be the 'vismet' that you are referring to? also reminds me of a boat - but then again perhaps i just have a bit of a nautical obsession. 'vismet' is apparently local dialect for vismarkt (fishmarket), the name of the square on which it isn't actually situated. excellent grub, although unfortunately they don't wrap the meals up in old newspapers.
hercé, it was so long ago that I went there - i just remember it being very narrow with lovely old stone walls - i'm pretty sure it was the 'visman', as in 'fish man'. but i'm old and frail and doddery these days.
Brown bread and butter, Daffers?
BROWN bread? Christ woman, where were you dragged up?
Oh, happy St David's Day. Daffodils. Daffers. Geddit?
Ok, I'll get a cab...
zoe - i'll bow to your greater knowledge on these matters. think the visman might be gone now, much like the lamented 'dick fish' fishmongers on the same square...
Its on Chausse d'Ixelles. Just at the start if you are coming from Flagey end. . .
Maybe see you there one Sunday.
[url=http://hairtyson.com]Phen375[/url] are tablets that help abridge confederation weight. Everybody of these tabs has to be enchanted with water, round 20 minutes ahead of a collation, twice a day.
Post a Comment