Tuesday, January 2

SINGALONGAMAX

God, I’m glad that’s over. There’s a limit to how much enjoying yourself you can take at one sitting. Being sparkling and witty really takes it out of me. Not to mention the eating and drinking. And eating. And drinking. And drinking. I have partaken of beers Belgian and English, wines white, red, sparkling, fortified, chilled, hot, spiced and at room temperature, vodka martinis shaken and stirred, banjos, genever, juniper, bloody Marys, muscle Marys, Hairy Canaries, Christmas Fairies. My liver feels like it’s gone three rounds with Mike Tyson.

I’m now having a sober evening in with a glass of Madeira on the rocks and a Jools Holland “Later” DVD. I don’t normally watch “Later” as it’s on even later over here, with the hour time difference, and by the time it comes on I’m usually in the land of Nod, curled up in bed with my tartan comforter. I now realize what I’ve been missing, and a big thank you to whoever had the presence of mind to put it all on a series of DVD’s.

I knew of young Jools, of course, in fact I used to be great friends with his Aunty Miriam in Golders Green. But he has opened my ears to a whole new world. There was me thinking there was no decent music any more, only silly boys in baggy jeans and anoraks “rapping” or techno trance rubbish, and found myself drifting towards strange sounds from exotic lands due to lack of intelligent contemporary western music. Now I find it was there all the time, only on the box late enough to stay hidden from old fogeys like me who go to bed early.

Jools has filled the gap left by John Peel and Whispering Bob Harris as a showcase for new talent. "Later" is a sort of Old Grey Whistle Test for the new millennium. But it caters to all ages, which is nice and inclusive, and mixes new blood with old jazz-club-nice favourites such as Richie Havens, Bryan Ferry , David Sanborn and Dr John, who keep me company in my dotage. Some of the young singers seemed strangely familiar, then I realized I was a fan of their dad, as in the case of Rufus Wainwright or Norah Jones. That’s a bit depressing.

I’ve always been a bit behind the latest trends. I remember back in 1986 (twenty years ago! Ye gods) getting quite excited about a band with two very good looking young front men, only to find I had been watching the Wham! farewell concert. I usually wake up to talent shortly after they’ve broken up or died. That’s why I tend to stick to old favourites like the Rolling Stones. I know they’re pensioners now, but they’re not going to spring any surprises on us like changing style or anything. In my opinion that’s where it all went wrong for David Bowie. If he’s stuck with Space Oddity he’d still be popular.

Now I shall be a regular watcher of "Later" (unless of course the series has just been axed, which would be par for the course). I am quite taken with Antony and the Johnsons. And Amy Winehouse. And The Blue Nile. And the Zutons. Gosh! It’s like coming out of suspended animation. Except, sadly, unlike Austin Powers, I don’t have a body twenty years younger than my memory. As was proved recently when attempting to dance to Rod Stewart and nearly suffering organ failure.

I have a theory that as we get older, our musical tastes draw us inexorably towards our parents’ and then our grandparents’ musical tastes, and eventually Max Bygraves. It starts when you catch yourself smiling at a Jim Reeves song as you’re driving on the motorway and thinking “He did have a beautiful voice, didn’t he?” and the next thing you know you’re dancing round the ironing board to Tijuana Taxi,
going into a hypnotic trance when Strictly Come Dancing is on, and reaching for the Sanatogen. My old flame Lancelot Coot is a case in point. I have a vivid memory of the UV lights picking up the flying dandruff as he played vigorous air guitar to Smoke on the Water at the school disco. Now he goes to Jamie Cullum concerts.

It’s a funny thing, but even though some people in old
people’s homes are the same age as Bill Wyman, and would have only been in their early 30's at Woodstock, and in their 20’s when The King was doing Jailhouse Rock, you never hear Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or even Elvis played in pensioners’ homes, do you? It’s always Mantovani, Rolf Harris or … Max Bygraves. Songs from the war years are always popular, even though most of the residents were babes in arms at the time. The ladies all favour the same grey curly pensioner's special shampoo-and-set and the men wear their beige cardigans like a uniform. Is it a precondition for a state pension? Or is it some kind of audiovisual Ritalin, so they don’t get overexcited? I think I’d rather be a stylish bag lady and dance to reggae in the street. I might take up smoking dope in my declining years. I think skinning up at the pensioners' lunch club might liven things up a bit.

If anyone ever catches me singing “I’m a pink toothbrush” and looking like I’m enjoying it, you have my permission to shoot me.



20 comments:

zoe said...

i disagree about david bowie.

but then, i would.

Cream said...

Later is definitely my favourite music program!
Hah! You knew Jools' auntie Miriam, eh!
I knew Malcolm Gerrie, moi!
You don't know who he is?
Hah! He was The Tube producer. Remember that program? Very popular until Jools swore on live TV...

Gorilla Bananas said...

Do you know a song called 'Mad About the Boy' sung by Dinah Washington? It suits your blog personality to perfection. If I were your manager, Daffers, I would have it played every time you made an entrance.

Kim Ayres said...

Happy New Year!

Seeing GB posting above me, I'm suddenly reminded of his excellent post on The Most Evil Human Award. Surely Captain Black should be added to your previous post on Handsome Evil Bastards

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Same to you, DQ, and welcome back to the Big Sprout.

Zed, it's ... oh never mind.

Cream, was Malcolm Gerrie also known as Mungo? Big rock giants tradition in your part of the world, The Animals, two of whom went on to play with Hendrix, I believe. Had Jimi lived, he would have been an honorary Geordie.

GB, really, you make me sound quite the vamp. Strangely enough I was going to call this post "You're as young as the man you feel" but thought it might give people the impression I had been pulling a Christmas cracker. That song was famously performed by Yul Brynner in drag to startling effect. I think Eartha Kitt also did it in in the style of a black widow spider.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Kim you snuck in there whilst I was otherwise engaged. HNY to you too. Yes Captain Black definitely a handsome bastard. Wouldn't mind a no-strings fling with him.

Pat said...

I wanted to watch Later to see Joools do a duet with Adrian Edmondson, who's married to Jennifer Saunders, but bed called and although I can read quite happily whilst my husband is asleep it seems unfair to put the telly on.
And never Max Bygraves please. I still love Jimi, Ian Drury and Paul Weller.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Pat, there is a machine called a video recorder which will tape it for you. There is another one called a DVD recorder but you'll have to get the grandchildren round to work that.

Ah the late great Ian Dury, an Essex bard. Lines like "I got right up between her rum and her Ribena" will never fade. And who can forget his classic "A***holes bastards f***ing c**ts and pr**ks". I hope you play it very loud when the Bishop comes round for tea. We'll make a bag lady of you yet.

Dr Maroon said...

Not many people know this, but Max played piano on Lou Reid's 'Transformer' album and backing vocals with Bernie Winters for the New York Dolls.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Shocking that Yul Brynner would take such liberties with his image. Eartha Kitt makes a lot more sense. And I never even knew that Bernie Winters could sing.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have another go at this Daphne. Re music - I like the same stuff as my kids and I'm not pretending, and they listen to the guitar legends of the 60s esp my son who's a bit of a guitarist himself. La différence ma chère is that old people who listen to Max Bygraves, Abba and James Last just don't have good taste and never did. I guess the same is true in other areas like fashion, food, interiors etc. Too many people are just gay whatever their age. Gay is the vernacular for ... old fashioned if you don't hang with teens every day. I refuse to be it! Jacqui

Pat said...

GB: you know 'Mad about the boy' was originally Noel's and he really meant it.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I was aware that he wrote it, Pi, but I've only ever heard it sung by a woman.

Pat said...

Then GB you haven't lived! Actually come to think of it I'm not sure I have, I just have always associated it with Noel and his way of life.

MKWM said...

So you've been drinking beers & wines and stuff ... and drinking elixir of youth, probably... and if we ever catch you singing “I’m a pink toothbrush”, we'll just say "Way to go Daffers, pass that bottle"!

The Dog of Freetown said...

He's my brother, Sylvest, he's got forty medals on his chest - big chest.

That's in the same league.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Doc, it is a little-known fact that Lou Reed was turned down for a spot on the Black & White Minstrel Show.

GB & Pat, I have trawled YouTube but unfortunately there does not seem to exist the famous clip of Yul's drag number from the 1970 movie "The Magic Christian". He was gorgeous. Those cheekbones!

Anonymous Jacqui, thanks for introducing us to the new meaning of the word "gay". If it is old fashioned to be gay, this can only be good news for us single girls. But who would carry my handbag?

MK, a drop of a youth's elixir now and again does wonders for the complexion. Alcohol dries the skin, so my watchword is: Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

Kieran, happy New Year! Glad to see you are a fan of the naff song. Lancelot Coot is working on a French translation of "Ernie the Fastest Milkman in the West" but has got stuck at "milk float".

King of Scurf said...

Ian Dury also mellifluously rhymed

18-wheeler Scammels
Domenecker camels
All other mammals

Funny. I always thought the line involved bactrian camels.

Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to that superior Perrier advert Daphne couldnae find way back...

not
safe
fer
work
btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0Gh87y7L8&NR

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I know I'm late here...but I just HAVE to say, here's to stylish bag ladies dancing to reggae in the street. I don't want to age...I don't mean in the physical sense, can't stop that from happening...but in the sense where we think we're too old for joie de vivre.