Sunday, November 12

My Little Army


One more picture for Remembrance Sunday and then I won't mention the war for another year, I promise.

My grandmother and her three brothers circa 1916.

Their mother called them "My Little Army".


4 comments:

MKWM said...

This reminds me of 'Saving Private Ryan' film. Photography has that mark of a great invention, hasn't it? You sure have a fine family tree sample here, Daphne.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

M, none of them were killed in the war thankfully, although one was wounded in the head and spent the rest of his life in a hospital, and another died in the flu epidemic of 1919. Grandma survived to see another world war.

Pat said...

Thank goodness I could see that - I couldn't see yesterdays. She has such a sweet face and they all look such individuals. She looks a little like great aunt Rose who nursed in France in WW1

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Thought you would like that one, Pat. My gran was one of the first women to sign up in the newly created Women's Royal Air Force, I've just googled WRAF and found that it wasn't created until 1918 so this photo couldn't have been taken in 1916 (I was guessing). She wasn't in uniform long!