I realized with horror this morning that Christmas is a mere four weeks away, and set off in search of Christmas presents. This year everyone is getting something in the shape of the Mannequin-Pis. Even if I have to bake it myself. The Christmas lights are up on the Rue Neuve but there was not much of a Yuletide atmosphere, it was much too warm to get festive. There was a strong wind, but the temperature was 18 degrees Celsius! And we’re nearly December. I'm not much of a one for Christmas, to tell you the truth. Much as I like tinsel and sequins, I dislike being marshalled into being jolly once a year on command, and usually end up going the other way entirely, being quite grumpy and miserable. More than usual, that is. This year, like last, I will be without Harold, which is one reason to be a bit more cheerful I suppose. At least there's less chance of the Christmas pudding having to be put out by the local fire brigade. (See Christmas 2001 in Warsaw).
The South American pan pipe band were playing soporific rainforest music in the Place de la Monnaie dressed up in the full wigwam, looking for all the world like a trio of extra large turkeys with their trimmings on, ready for Christmas dinner. Brussels sprouts optional.
As the light faded I wandered down the Galeries St Hubert where the Christmas decs this year are very minimalist. Last year they were bizarre in the extreme and slightly erotic. This year they are just plain onion-shaped glowing lanterns that change colour. Very boring. The chocolate shops in the gallery had their Christmas collections on display, but I bravely looked the other way. What I love about the shops downtown is the number of specialist shops selling just hats, or just gloves, or just walking sticks. You don’t find those in UK any more.
A number of bars were already serving “vin chaud” which in the present greenhouse climate is tantamount to serving mulled wine in the south of France. I do hope there’s at least a bit of frost for Christmas. I have spent many a festive season in tropical climes and I can tell you it’s not the same. Oh Come All Ye Faithful has to be sung at below room temperature otherwise it doesn’t sound right. Caledonian Societies still insist on doing full tartan Hogmanays in equatorial climes which is just plain bonkers. It’s far too hot and humid to do the Dashing White Sergeant with any gusto, and the mosquitoes get right up yer kilt.
I continued on to the Grand’Place where as usual there was something wacky going on. The nativity stable (which last year had real live animals!) was erected but not quite ready, it will open on the first day of Advent, 1st December. Night had just fallen, and to a soundtrack of dreamy electronic music a group of stilt-walkers in elaborate Venetian carnival costumes were trying to glide gracefully around, although it is not easy to glide in stilts on cobblestones in a Force 7 gale, albeit a warm one. It reminded me that after the gluttony and anticlimax of Christmas comes the lunacy of Carnival, when Belgium turns into Brazil minus the sunshine. On my way back I came across a carnival shop, stuffed to the gunnels with costumes, masks, wigs, what the French call “Farces et Attrapes”, magic tricks, false noses, that sort of thing. I brushed a tear from my eye when I saw a Zorro outfit, as it reminded me of Harold. I bought a little plastic dog turd to remind me of my dear lamented mythomaniac husband and his love of practical jokes. It's sitting on the mantelpiece as I write this. It's almost as if he were here with me.
19 comments:
I don't know what the problem with Brussel sprouts is - I always loved them. I couldn't find 'mythomaniac' in my jungle dictionary but I get the idea. I wish I was there to give you a big warm hairy hug. Do you like being strangled? Just curious.
Bless you GB, you just did my old darling. I'm feeling all virtually hugged and warm now, with a slightly sore virtual neck. I'll hoover the virtual hairs up later.
I don't suppose sprouts would be a problem in the jungle, I've heard you apes are very liberated about your gaseous emissions.
In Southern California snowmen are popping up in the middle of lavishly watered green lawns and the sun glancing off the faux snow on the tree on the way into town has dazzled me into nearly missing the turn into the supermarket more than once.
Violet, it hasn't taken you long to upset half the village and force you to move to the other end ... is that the end where the poor people live? Or has Desmond fallen asleep in the Chinaman's front garden once too often? As for your suggestions as to what to wear under one's burqa - don't they already?
Sam dear, hasn't Arnie brought in hosepipe bans yet? He's even being feted by rank lefties here for his eco awareness.
those animals are the same ones every year - i'm sure of it. well, the sheep never look any different.
i wonder what the grand place is going to look like this year ? 2001 was .... a disaster. And two years ago it was all sponsored by electrabel - bloody madness.
Sorry I wasn't there to share this all with you. . .she says, one finger typing. . .
Zed, when you've seen one sheep you've seen 'em all.
Queen Vic, but you will be here this year! Don't miss the Christmas markets, they're huge fun - especially when you've had a few banjos (vins chauds).
Shall we do Bloggers on Ice this year?
I sometimes think Christmas just serves to make lonely people feel lonelier but it's not easy to ignore it with ten grand-children. My most happy, fulfilling Christmases were as a student nurse with no off-duty and nothing to worry about but the childen. But I'm just an old grouch!
I LOVE Christmas. I'll be rattling tins and singing carols in about 11 languages for charity, it's worth coming just to see the Polish wince and we've got gluhwein.
I'll teach you to enunciate "Gdy sie Chrystus Rodzi" perfectly, the Polaks will drop their gluhwein in amazement.
Pretty Daphne, how you determined it beta blogger fact my a joke!
I the sadness in your purposes smells, have the tattletell you?
A big hirsute embrace of Gorilla banana! I shall not dare, and however!
I like to stroll on the big boulevards
Has so many things, so many things there
So many things to be seen
They have only to choose haphazardly
They make blisters
To zigzag among the crowd
I like shacks and pigsties
Shop windows, raffles
And the talkative hawkers
Which debit you their fibs
This gets the time
And they forget his tattletell
Yves Montand
Another small song be going to say to you me?
Fate of chocolate
I address you, pretty Daphne, my sincere friendship
Fata cioccolata ya ya
Io Lady Marmalade ....
you know the rest.
Merci, Dip Dop! You never fail to put a smile on my face. You are like a French juke box. Did you write that song sung by Renaud "Eet ees not because you ah-arr, I love you, because I do ..." ? Keep singing my favourite songs - Nougaro, Dutronc, Gainsbarre, etc.
If you have to bake something in the shape of Mannequin-Pis, bake 'cougnous' or 'cougnolles', the famous sweet buns in the shape of new-born Jesus.
Strictly come scating date?
daph. love, you may hate xmas, but i do know you love boxing day. you taught this yank how to celebrate it properly with pimm's back in the quatorzieme in paris. wish i could find pimm's in new mexico.
meanwhile, our indian summer finished yesterday and the snow is aswirling...
Snow in New Mexico? And it's abnormally warm here. It's the beginning of the end, I fear ... pass the Pimms.
Warm here? I so can't climatise, its freezing and I'm from blooming Scotland. . .!!
Freezing? It was 18 degrees the other day!! The Bond party isn't till Friday, you don't have to run around in a bikini now, DQ!
Goddam and there was me thinking we had to have a weekly run up, tell you what the boys at work have loved it. . .
7 inches of snow, and it's still swirling down....
thank goddess i paid the gas bill and have good heat burning. mme chapeau
Post a Comment