Monday, November 6

Chips With That??

I was laid low for the latter half of last week with a severe cold, and spent a guilty couple of days indulging myself. Staying in my negligée all day long, eating runny omelettes, spending the afternoon in bed with Philip Pullman, watching daytime TV, it’s good practice for retirement. Aunty Marianne and Scouse Doris dropped by with the full omnibus edition of His Dark Materials and a witchy herbal remedy, before dashing off to a coven meeting. It’s at times like this when good girlfriends are worth their weight in chocolate.

One of the great guilty pleasures of being home on sick leave is listening to Desert Island Discs on Radio 4. With my intense interest in all things culinary, I was avid to hear Heston Blumenthal, the celebrity chef who has been awarded 3 Michelin stars and Best Restaurant in the World award of 2005 for his restaurant The Fat Duck in Bray, Berkshire. His culinary creations are said to be most original. I must say the thought of snail porridge makes me heave, I have seen what they do in the garden. Entirely self-taught, he turned down the offer of an apprenticeship with Raymond Blanc, and worked as a debt collector whilst teaching himself French cuisine in the evenings from cookery books, in his mum’s kitchen. I learnt some very useful tips from this interview, for example that the best chipping potatoes (look away now, Pat) sink in heavily salted water, whereas those that float should be used for mashing. When I am next visiting Vera Slapp and Cyril down in deepest Berkshire I might be persuaded to have a nibble on his triple-fried chips. He has a very scientific approach to cooking, apparently. He is also, like moiself, an amateur of world music, and his desert island discs were an eclectic mix of exotic airs, rock and opera.

I am a great lover of fine dining. Do not be fooled by the number of times I mention chips in this column, my reduced circumstances due to my precipitated departure from Africa and arrival in Brussels as a refugee will not last forever. I am saving up my luncheon vouchers and will soon be seen again dining at the best tables in Brussels. THE table to be seen at in this town is Comme Chez Soi, where I have not yet had the pleasure, although Vi Hornblower has. In Paris the best - and most exclusive - table I ever graced was the British Ambassador’s. His Excellency has a famously well-stocked wine cellar, and a noble collection of single malt Scotch Whiskies which are offered as a very British alternative to cognac. I was only a little disappointed that His Excellency didn’t offer me any Ferrero Rochers. Budget cuts, I expect.

If a suitor really wanted to impress me (pay attention, Bert) he would book a table for two at El Bulli near Barcelona, this year's Best Restaurant in the World. This restaurant is only open for six months a year, and all bookings for 2006 were already closed by mid-2005. The menu comprises 16 courses, all of them tiny but exquisite and experimental. If any readers have managed to get a table there I would be most interested to hear about it. Or any other outstanding estaminets you may have visited. My future as a restaurant reviewer depends on hot tips.

One person who won't be eating at El Bulli is Saddam Hussein. His shouting over the judge who was trying to read out his death sentence yesterday rather put me in mind of Catherine Tate's Lauren. I wonder what is the Arabic for "Am I bovvered? Am I? Bovvered? Me? Do I look bovvered? I'm not bovvered! I'm NOT BOVvered!"


14 comments:

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

How very odd. No comments. I wonder if there's a problem with Blogger?

Anonymous said...

Had the same prob meself, Daffers. Either that or everyone's effed off and desterted me.

Glad to know you're alive and well, dear.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

In your case Tippers it's because your blog is misogynistic and offensive. God you men, you don't know what you want - one day you're complaining about unwanted attention, the next day that nobody loves you. Sort yourself out will you.

Pat said...

Daphne: what is the verdict on Kirstie? She's been getting a bit of flack and I haven't been paying attention. Re the snail porridge man; the Fat Duck was slated recently for never doing anything different although I would have thought said porridge was a step too far.
Do hope you are feeling better and don't imagine one's conscience allows one to watch daytime telly - except 'Neighbours' of course.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Kirstie? Is she in Strictly Come Dancing? I'm afraid I only have eyes for Mark Ramprakash where that programme is concerned. I am still a bit sniffly but back on my feet, and OH JOY!! online from home as of this evening. The sat tv might not get a look in for a while.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Sorry to hear to were indisposed, Lady Daphne. You sound like a woman who might benefit from a regular sauna to open up the pores and sweat out the toxins. The expert on single malt whiskeys is Kim Ayres, who is linked on my site as 'The Bearded Scotsman'. Alcohol is not for the apes: it just makes us dizzy.

Pat said...

Darling: Kirstie is the new Sue Lawley on Desert Island Discs. Did ya no notice the accent? Would that I could remember her surname. Her husband owns Babington House.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, when you get to my age you don't need a sauna, trust me.

PI, I hadn't actually noticed the change of accent, so intent was I on Mr Blumenthal's chips. Kirstie Wark is the only one I can think of. What's Babington House? (Sorry, but we expats get a bit out of the loop sometimes). I believe Ms Wark has been lambasted in Private Eye for something or other of a financial nature. Which is probably why she's hiding out on a desert island.

Anonymous said...

I have been watching our Charlton on telly and his anchovy ice cream sounds rather appetizing!!!
El Bulli is on my list of must-visit-restaurants!
Am I bovvered? in Algerian! Pousse avec eux!!! (Dez maaham!)

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Creamo, how did you guess I was a Charlton supporter? My formative Saturday afternoons were spent at the Valley. That's how I know so much about the offside rule.

If you are in need of a dining companion for El Bulli, I'm free! There was an ice cream shop in Majorca that sold prawn, roquefort and avocado flavoured ice cream.

Saw Indigenes (Days of Glory) the other night. Awesome. One of the best WW2 films I've ever seen. Debbouze is brillo. I bet the pirate DVD is already on sale in the casbah, n'est-ce-pas?

Anonymous said...

Daphnée, funny how I didn't mean Charlton but Charlton (Heston Blumenthal)! Daft Algerian humour!?!
Sorry your team is bottom of the premiership!!!
Can't wait to see Indigenes... I think the Casbah was a bit slow this time!
As for an El Bulli dinner date, my smashed kneecaps wouldn't stand the strain!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I saw you coming, vieux. Don't worry, we get altitude sickness if we go too near the top. They weren't known as Charlton Athletic Nil for nothing you know.

I take it that's a no for El Bulli then? Just as well, I don't think UpFrontwould foot the bill.

Anonymous said...

So, do you write food reviews for the expats then?
The local Mail allocates £40 for two meals! Beyond that princely sum, reporters have to dig deep into their own pockets! So you can imagine what kind of sh...eateries get into our local paper!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I don't think UpFront pays anything at all, so I'm going to review a different chip stall each week! I could do something on one of your many establishments Cream. I'll be in disguise though, so don't look for a woman with a fruit basket on her head.

Are we alone in this blogspace?