Thursday, September 28

Souk and Ye Shall Find

If you have ever arrived in Brussels by Eurostar on a Sunday morning and wandered outside Midi station, you would be forgiven for thinking you had got on the wrong train and ended up in Marrakesh. Midi market, which sprawls over a vast area covering all the streets around the station, competes with the Stadium market in Warsaw for the title of biggest outdoor market in Europe. It was rumoured that you could buy a Russian army-surplus Kalashnikov and even an RPG launcher at the Warsaw Stadium, although I never saw anything more threatening than some very dodgy vodka. Almost every stall at Midi is run by Flemish-speaking North Africans, which in itself is fairly surreal, especially if, like me, you are sometimes not quite compos mentus on a Sunday morning. I like to fit in wherever I go, and so I sport my babouches (pointy Moroccan slippers) and a pair of harem pants, with a tasteful scarf skilfully wound around my Sunday-morning bad hair (what Zoe likes to call my Polish-cleaning-lady look – a bit like in my photo, but without the fruit).

Midi market is divided in two by the overhead train lines. On one side is the biggest collection of imported polyester tat this side of Guangzhou, on the other is the food section where fruit and veg is sold in 2 kilo lots at knock-down prices, and there are refrigerated vans selling cheese, fish and cold meats. I can never resist a spit-roast chicken from one of the two chicken vans - and when I say van, I mean a juggernaut-sized custom-built rotisserie with 150 chickens turning on the spit and six people serving. This being Belgium, each market has to have TWO chicken vans – one Flemish and one Walloon. In the interests of holding Belgium together single-handedly, I share my custom between them in an attempt at Geflügelpolitik.

In the centre of this court of miracles are about a dozen tables arranged in a constantly expanding rectangle, where a large North African family cheerily dish out pastries, olives, dates and dried fruits and banter with customers. At an improvised terrasse alongside, customers partake of mint tea and freshly-cooked pastillas from motherly ladies dressed in djellabas and headscarves. Another large fruit and veg stall with a prime corner position is manned by a bunch of comedians, one who runs, carries, serves, talks and short-changes you at 120 km an hour, while his colleague keeps up a running rap at full volume in recognizable gibberish, or possibly Berber. In the garden section you can get huge pot plants for the cheapest prices, and it is a common sight on a Sunday morning to see people staggering onto the metro carrying fully-grown trees in pots. I picked up a 3’ high Dracaena palm for £8, which fitted nicely into my shopping wheelie thing. There is also a Spanish sector where you can buy all manner of Iberian delicacies which will bring back memories of that holiday in Benidorm, another serving Greek specialities if you went to Corfu instead, and even a Havana cigar stall if you went to Cuba, which made me think of Harold, but only briefly. Bras for 1 euro, curtain material at 3 euros a metre, belly dancing costumes, paella dishes, carpets, all human life is here. I wouldn’t be surprised to see snake-charmers there one day. All this miraculously materializes in the early hours of Sunday and, just as magically, is completely gone by Sunday night. Even the rubbish.

Midi market is a far cry from my previous Sunday market in the leafy suburbs, which is a bit like a farmers’ market in the Home Counties, with organic mushrooms, Peruvian alpaca sweaters, home made quiches, designer chocolate, tasteful basketwork, etc. The only shopping trolleys you see there are proper wicker ones, steered unsteadily by elderly ladies in tweed suits. Big checked nylon bags are banned. Elegant straw baskets are the receptacle of choice. Stewed mussels are served with a glass of white wine for shoppers in need of an aperitif. I even saw the fish man serving his regular customers a glass of chilled white wine. They’re a well-heeled lot in that part of town, sporting Barbour jackets and promenading their matching pairs of pedigree dogs. A lot of English voices are heard. You might as well be in Tunbridge Wells.

19 comments:

The Dog of Freetown said...

That was exactly my experience. Pretty much everything around that station stank of urine. Now every time I visit the little boys room I think of Brussels. I preferred the Sablon. It was pretentious and decadent enough to suit my tastes. That Chocolate Museum though - bloody scam.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Your harem pants would have made me thump my chest in appreciation. I know a thing or two about harems. You really have the shopping bug, Lady Daphne. How much does a spit roast chicken cost?

Anonymous said...

It's Compos Mentis, dear.
Serves you right for having a pop at Zoe's spelling...
x

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Kieran, so you're pretentious and decadent? Lovely, you'll fit right in here in Brussels.

GB - 5,80 euros or 3.94 sterling.

Tippler - I think you'll find it was the waif-like one (cough!) who called MOI an IGNORAMOUS (sic) to start with. I decline to descend to that level of mud-slinging. It's so ... Belgian.

Anonymous said...

A couple of hours before f'tour and I am salivating over Pastillas and Thé à la Menthe... But a bowl of Chorba will do me!

Tanya said...

Oh I love a spit roast chicken moi...sounds divine Daffers and sounds like my local market on a smaller scale, I now have 6 belly dancing costumes and 10 paella dishes, mucho needed in these parts...any goat?

Pat said...

We never had such goodies when I was in Tunbridge Wells - alas!

zoe said...

if that bloody market wasn't so far away from me i'd be there every weekened. the last time i went i got lost.

tippler, there's nothing rong with my speling.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Cream, only another three weeks to go, then you can make a real halouf of yourself.

Tat, I think you should host the annual bloggers awayday weekend which I have just invented, your part of the world sounds gorgeous.

Pat, why am I not surprised that you used to live in TW? You're a gel after me own heart. I bet you like a nice doily too.

Zed: not lost enough, obviously. You found your way back!

Anonymous said...

Will I ever live down that description of Zoe?

More to the point, will she?

I'm gutted - to fail to be remembered for the many mesmorising sentences and pithy headlines written over my illustrious career but, instead, to be ridiculed for describing as 'waiflike' some bird with a big bum.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Perhaps you meant wraith-like?

Pat said...

Absolutely Daphne. but they have to be the ones handed down from Mum and Gran and they are getting a bit holey- er

Anonymous said...

i don't have a big bum, am not waiflike but ther is nothing rong with my speling.

Anonymous said...

and that was me, not my bf.

Anonymous said...

Geflugelpolitik. (Couldn't be bothered doing the umlaut.)

Love it. Just love it, Daphne dear. Haven't a clue what it is, but I love it.

You're very educated, I can tell that right away.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Has Doc Maroon gone completely barking?

f:lux said...

Finger on the fashion pulse eh Daphne? The Polish Cleaning Lady look is in next season, though at Prada they call them Turbans of course. Not sure about the bananas though ;)

Anonymous said...

MY Polish cleaner doesn't look like that.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Sounds wonderful
I was reminded of the social intracacies of living in a bilingual country (with the exception of Quebec) and the need to suckle at both teats to keep Mama happy.

I admire your dedication to blend in but personally I just look 'plain weird' in harem pants.

I wonder if an RPG fits in the trunk..you would probably have to let one end stick out of the passenger side window..hmmm.