Sunday, August 27

Room with an EU View

This weekend I gathered up my belongings from the bijou but frankly rather poky shoebox I have been occupying in the leafy but dull southern suburb of Brussels, and moved to my new abode in the heart of the pulsating metropolis. The new Wayne-Bough Towers has more room, and a stunning view of the EU Commission headquarters, enabling me to keep an eye on the buggers on your behalf, dear readers. With a high-powered lens I could probably see into Commissioner Mandelson’s private dining room.

I was assisted in my housemoving by an old//young friend -- Harold's erstwhile protege, the still fairly pungent new age traveller, anti-globalisation eco-warrier, professional protester, treehugger and hunt saboteur Scrumpy (see Wayne-Boughs’ World posts "Land and Freedom" and "Global Warning" ) who is taking the "Year of Mobility" seriously, and has turned up in Brussels for the purpose of being as much of a nuisance to the EU as he can, whilst applying himself to evading any form of paid employment with his usual grit and determination. In fact, I think he works harder at avoiding work than most people do at their jobs. (Particularly those at the Commission).

Scrumpy finds panhandling tourists pays better here than in Poland, and there are almost as many Poles here so he feels very much at home. He made himself very useful and helped make some room in my fridge by disposing of all the beer (down his neck). He’s a good boy, needs feeding up though, I shall have to have him round for a Sunday roast now that I have an oven and can let my inner Nigella out again. It was such a joy to unpack the 10-setting dinner service, the best silver, the lace tablecloths, the crystal and the porcelain, which I haven’t seen for a year as there was no room to put it. Daphne’s Dinners will be up and running again soon, mark my words. My soirées were legendary from Lagos to Accra. Before long the Commissioners will be badgering their assistants to get them an invitation to Chez Daphnée. Mr Mandelson will be peering enviously at my dining room window through his telescope!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fancy Mr Mandelson. Hehehehhe. I want to be his bitch. Can you murder that Brazilian of his?

Shyha said...

First of all - if you get those lens, let me know so I could borrow them :D
Second - I already like your 'determinded' friend :) though I'm (very) not into groups of self adoration :]
Third - I am hungry. Be sure that if I ever go to/through Brussels I will have to be fed. I feel like I am already appointed ;D

apprentice said...

I'm sure you'll serve guacamole and not mushy peas so Commissioner M will be knocking on your door in no time, but make sure everything is Fairtrade.

He'll maybe offer to help out with the rent/mortgage, as he's good with figures.

Dr Maroon said...

Shyha don't knock it till you've tried it. Nothing wrong with a bit of group self adoration. I know, I'm an engineer.
Do you find Daphne, that because you've gone foreign that your dinners are more English than the English? I only ask because I was once a guest of the chief government vet in Nigeria, a man called McMillan, at his second house in a place called Minna, or was it Makurdi? Anyway, apart from the sudden pitch black at 6:15 pm and the surprising chill, we could have been in Surrey. (Not Croydon.)

Frontier Editor said...

I see that your desire to support empty paras has resurfaced. Perhaps you might change that to French paras in support of the Lebanon peacekeeping mission?

Shyha said...

I used to :) but I'm just not a kind of guy who is able to get into such things for real. Call me solitaire :)

zoe said...

i fancy mandy too. invite us around - i'll get the kids to babysit the Twat.

Anonymous said...

Zoe

Mandy is mine. I saw him first!!! Go play with your laptop...oops, don't we call it notebook nowadays.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Banana, it must be time he traded the Brazilian in for a younger model. Come to Brussels and I'll get you a job in the Commission. You'll have competition from Zoe, though. Somehow I think you've got the advantage.

Shyha (alias Solitaire), if you're passing through Brussels, I'll make you a toasted sandwich. Young hungry men bring out my maternal instincts.

Apprentice, I think Peter has always known his guacamole from his mushy peas, despite being MP for Hartlepool. I hear there are a couple of decent restaurants up there now. ;)

Maroon, I nearly died cooking a goose with all trimmings one Christmas in Nigeria, with no aircon in the kitchen and we'd let Cook have Christmas off.

Fronty, an army marches on its stomach. Funny, I always thought that was called crawling.

Cream said...

Guess what! Mandy has had dinner at mine a few times!
Nice guy! I even shook his hand and said "Hi!" with a deep voice.
He was our MP after all!

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I can see Chez Daphne becoming a hub of EU Commision intrigue; a smoke-filled room (sans smoke, obviously, as per EU directive)where deals are done and delights are nibbled. All presided over liberally, yet discreetly, by our own Lady Daphers: a Mata Hari for the new century.

Pat said...

Scrumpy has now been pronounced as good as red wine for its anti-oxidants - which is nice for us in Zummerset. I hope you will be happy in your new abode and hope it isn't a sky scraper. A friend of mine had one in Paris and wouldn't allow his wife to see 'Towereing Inferno'. Love to the Paras!

f:lux said...

But Mr Mandelson is a monster! He wants to pass an extra tax on shoes - this is clearly no friend of womankind! Booo!

Anonymous said...

F:Lux

Duh!!! Of course he's no friend of women!!! What do you think!

f:lux said...

Not all gay blokes are misongynists, banana.

Oh, and as MP for Hartlepool he probably isn't keen on monkeys either...

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Cream, I should have guessed you would know the Prince of Darkness. If I ever meet him I shall mention your name.

Sam, you are obviously nostalgic for the Cold War. I don't think Brussels in 2006 is exactly Moscow in 1917, but I'm putting your accolade in my tag line anyway, it's too wonderful!

Pat, yes it is a skyscraper, although dwarfed by an even bigger one next door. I'm on the 5th floor, not high enough to get vertigo, but a bit too high to be sure of landing safely in the arms of a fireman. Perhaps a para chute is what I need!

f:lux and Banana, I shall whisper in Mandy's ear at the first opportunity and get him to drop both the shoe tax AND the Brazilian. Happy now?

Anonymous said...

Mandy's well-known as hag fag.

He has a certain charm

Yeah, quite fanciable

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ooh, ooh, a telescope. Reminds me of the movie Sliver. You never know what hot stuff you might see in the Commissioner's dining room.

zoe said...

banana, i've been lusting after mandy before i found out that he batted for the other side which means forever.

cream, i am extremely jealous. very.

The Aunt said...

Oh God I hope for you Louis Michel's office isn't on that side. He'd break your telescope lens.

Congrats on the move. Should be a choice location. Entirely too close to Schuman's pubs, though.

Anonymous said...

Really can't imagine anyone, male, female or undecided, fancying la Mandy. He looks like something you would fry chips with. Just somehow can't imagine him having a penis.

Love it when he's pretending to do "serious" on telly (to justify his no doubt enormous salary), but you can tell he's just dying to flap his hands about a bit and scream.