Friday, August 18

A bunch of winkers

I have been winked at twice in two days, both times by young attractive men. Not that I'm complaining, but it seems to me a bit of a lucky coincidence. Unless Belgian men have congenital eye problems. The first was the young man in the branch of the bank where I have just transferred my account. The second was the owner of the hairdressing salon (or "hair arranger", in Zed-speak). I am feeling quite buoyed up, especially as my hair is looking gorgeous again. (Think Anne Robinson - who is a bit of a winker - with a soupcon of Lulu). Talking of Zed, her hair is looking gorgeous too. We did lunch today. Quarsan could do with a bit of a trim though. Now I'm looking so gorgeous, I am looking forward to a few more winks.

I can understand why older women (older than me that is - oh all right, old ladies) go to the hairdresser every week. First of all, for many who are alone, it is the only touch of a human hand they get, even if it is from an 18-year-old trainee who asks you if you've been on yer 'olidays yet. And secondly, having your hair done makes a gel feel good for a price even a pensioner can afford. It beats all that hanging about on the corner trying to work out which bloke is the drug dealer.

And if the
patron (who is a bit of a hunk) winks at you, well, it's worth every penny.





13 comments:

Cream said...

Daphnée, keep a lookout for the weakest wink. Blink and you'll miss it!

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Did you wink back?

Ooooh, I hope you did: Show the winker the winkee can play too.

Of course it all depends on the nature of the wink. If it was a leery, dribbly, shouty one it's probably wise to ignore it: Show the wanker the winkee won't be playing and he's been rained off.

Gorilla Bananas said...

The fellow who's seen your bank balance is probably a gigolo, but the owner of the hairdressing salon sounds more promising. Make sure he's not gay first, though. Ask him whether he has any Shirley Bassey records.

TheTart said...

Hey ... I sure hope you are not the type who sits around waiting for the "winkers" to come your way. WAITING for a guy is old school ... don't want to be left in the dust, do ya!

Go get um, sweetie!
Cute post. ; )
Found U via Cream's bloggy.

Smooch,
The Tart
; *

Anonymous said...

I was well shocked when my hairdresser mentioned he was going to Sitges for his hols. I thought that's a gay resort, only for bloggers and opera queens.

Then I remembered. He's a hairdresser

Pat said...

Winks are good. Well done! This old gel goes reluctantly every eight weeks for a trim and blow dry after years of having to go twice a week.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Cream, I bet you're a good winker. Those eyes look like they're just about to launch a wink!

Sam, it all depends on context. In these two particular examples it was strictly good client relations. Some other places give you a chocolate. I wink at Bert to make him wink back, which makes his monocle fall out every time. It's my revenge for his twuffle humour.

GB, the hair salon owner is definitely not gay. I have seen his wife, who is petite and blonde and tarty with black roots. Not a very good advertisement one would think. Sadly, he is not my coiffeur, but perhaps he'll take me when my gel is on 'er 'olidays.

Tart, welcome! Are you the Tart with a Heart? Love the pictures on your blog. Do you know Zed? She is a real tart.

Gert, Sitges is full of hairdressers. I had a very good coiffure done there during my holiday. Unfortunately it rained the next day, which is why I had to buy a gay umbrella.

Pat, do they give you a head massage? Mmm, I love them. Almost as good as a bit of how's your father.

The Aunt said...

I love being winked at, but I can't wink myself. Can't pull it off without looking gauche.

My hairdresser IS gay. And a genius.

zoe said...

the head massage is the best bit. i normally fall asleep.

the patron of your salon has an eye disorder whereby the nerves around his eye are forever twitching. i wouldn't take that wink too seriously, girl. but i can show some places where you get some real winks.

Cream said...

As a teenager I practiced in front of the mirror. And now I can wink with both eyes.
I also practiced raising my right eyebrow by holding the left one down. Comes in handy when you need to "raise an eyebrow"
We didn't have a telly at the time.

The Aunt said...

Oh, I can raise an eyebrow. I didn't practise though. It comes naturally, apparently.

My friends always burst out laughing.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Let me teach you a li'l trick with sunshades...if you're wearing them, hook your finger on one end of the arm [behind the ear], move the shades up and down, up and down, real fast, it looks like you're flirting. Makes a guy smile, everytime :-D

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

But don't do it with regular glasses or you'll look like Eric Morecambe.