Our street-wise friend Scrumpy (who I note has a bit of a fan club already!) has the right idea. He travels light. In his backpack he carries nothing but a full-sized duvet and a ghetto blaster (he doesn’t believe in MP3’s or iPods, he likes to share his music with friends and anyone else within a hundred yard radius), and a length of string, in case he finds a stray dog to tie on the end of it. Such freedom! I would never be able to live like that. I can manage with a small holdall for a weekend away. But that’s just for my make-up. My trunk full of clothes is sent on ahead. Ballgowns can be required at a moment’s notice, and a girl doesn’t like to be caught unawares. And as Princess Zoé will confirm, you never know which size of tiara is appropriate for a formal function, so it’s best to pack three.
Of course I can do “smart casual” for popping down to the supermarket – you know, a little Chanel suit over a cashmere sweater with just the one string of pearls, and matching shopping caddy. But I do like to dress up if the occasion demands, and bustles can’t be squashed into a suitcase, not even the largest one that Louis Vuitton make. However, I pondered, as I surveyed six different kinds of fish knife, am I ever going to be hosting nine-course dinner parties for 20 again? Does a footloose and fancy-free city girl such as I require three dozen crystal champagne flutes? Large gatherings are so passé, the trend is more towards small informal gatherings where one eats sushi with one’s fingers from hollowed-out bamboo sticks whilst lounging on Moroccan divans and discussing the latest hors d’oeuvre of Michel Houellebecq with the likes of Salman and Melvyn. I decided to follow the teachings of St Bono of Geldof, and donate my unwanted possessions to the poor.
Scrumpy directed me to a charity warehouse called “Les Petits Riens” which was enormous and stacked to the rafters with second-hand furniture, clothing, books, carpets, electrical equipment, musical instruments, paintings, even computers which were surplus to somebody’s requirements, and had been donated for re-sale.
At a guess, a good deal of it had been salvaged from house clearances, and there was some remarkable period furniture, particularly from the 1970’s formica era, which is already back in fashion. The warehouse is like Ali Baba’s cavern, and you could get lost in the maze of rooms which led from one collection of slightly dog-eared treasures to another. I was so entranced by it all that I completely forgot to leave my excess baggage, and purchased a crystal chandelier, an oil painting in the style of Rolf Harris, two Rimini chairs, a trombone and a life-sized plaster statue of the Virgin Mary. Oh well, charity begins at home.
27 comments:
Love the statue. I have a room full of icons, madonnas, crucifixes and rosaries. I think it is my grandmother influencing me from on high.
Good for you with the chandelier and don't get rid of any good linen or crystal. They give such pleasure. I just know you packed all your clothes with the finest acid free tissue paper. There aren't many of us left.
oh good god, woman, make sure that plaster statue of the virgin wotsit is hidden away on saturday or else i won't come around.
oh, and i'll need a bed for the night so you can have the floor.
I've always wondered what those Parisian arty/literary salons would have been like, you know, an evening chez the Edith Sitwells or whoever. Do people still do that kind of thing (but with sushi), or is it time they came back into fashion?
Fish knives! So redundant nowadays.
If you find yourself in an old manor that still uses them, watch out for Sole Véronique à la mode de 1970!
I thought only bad girls got plastered, not virgins!
You're the second blog I've read today that mentions Michel Houellebecq. Clearly I need to be reading him to be in with the cool bloggers
Is one allowed to smoke in your salon? I'm sure you are not going to stop "Wellbeck" from smoking in your salon if he decides to hold court there.
Oh gosh, Daph, I know. Tiara etiquette is a minefield. Should it be smaller than the hostess's to the detriment of one's outfit? What to do if you get tell-tale leaves in it after a late-night tumble with the gardener? Is it ever OK to use one's tiara as a tooth-pick?
These are questions for the modern tiara-wearer that they just don't teach you in school these days. So I just threw up my hands in despair at it all and now I wear mine all day long: doing the hoovering, grocery shopping, in the bath. I've found that, when I'm on the treadmill, it tends to slip a bit and make me look silly so I don't do that any more. I won't part with my heels though, exercise or no exercise!
It wasn't until I returned to the jungle that I donated my four poster bed to the poor. I now live simply with no possessions other than a Gucci toothpick and a Panama hat.
gert: I didn't even know Michel Houellebecq until now :)
Daphne: it doesn't matter if you left some stuff there or bought - you gained some success as you brought them some money :)
Pat, I was almost lured back to the fold after watching Pope JP2's funeral - what a show! Catholicism is very becoming in the older woman. I'm trying on black lace mantillas as we speak.
Zed, are we going to the Paradiso with Marianne on Saturday? Well I've only got the one bed so this could be interesting. Do bring Q won't you?
f:lux, the Salon is about to make a comeback in Brussels, with a vengeance.
Cream, my dinner parties will be totally 1970's retro chic - prawn cocktail, Sole Veronique, and Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (Bert's favourite!) for dessert, washed down with Mateus Rose. Cona coffee and an After Eight to finish, with glam rock background music. Everyone in tank tops and cheesecloth. Groovy!
Gert and Shyha, Houellebecq (or Wellbeck!) is quite racy, sort of intellectual soft porn, but with some interesting political ideas, not all of them fashionable.
Banana, yes but only black Sobranies.
Sam, I see you and Princess Zoe are of the same mind about tiaras.
GB, I can't get the picture of you in a Panama hat out of my mind. Can you post a picture? Mind you I couldn't see it because I can't see anything on your blog after Wyatt Earp. Somebody is trying to keep us apart! (Possibly Maroon).
Where will quarsan sleep?
I must say if you're going to the Paradiso with me on Saturday, the least one of you bints could have done is to ASK me if I'm free.
As it happens, I am.
But I could have been whisked away on a dirty weekend by Dominique de Villepin.
are you free Marianne ? Oh, you are, goody.
banane, i think it's going to be a foursome.
I'm sorry to hear that, milady. I've posted three bulletins since then. See if you can link to them directly below.
One
Two
Three
Our local Indian still serves Mateus Rose, Cona coffee and After Eights!
A regular Friday night treat!
I skip the Blackforest!
But Daphne! You've changed! You used to be pinker. You haven't got that thing Michael Jackson's got, have you?
This is appalling service from Blogger. They it was who recommended I change my template, and I STILL can't get my latest post up without editing, and can't even see my new decor. HELP!!! Daphne in distress!
OH FOR F***'S SAKE!!! All my previous posts now come up with the new frock on, and the current one is still in last week's colours, but the blogroll has gone. (Don't worry, I'll put it back as soon as I get this glitsch sorted).
looks like it's sorted!
yipee - i am doing a happy dance.
does your IP allow wordpress or summat ? if so, i know of peeps in high places who can help you there .....
(we can't install anything other than blogger so basically, we're fucked.) the Twat says: "get some web space and i'll help yer, yer fat lass."
are you sure you want him around on saturday ?
I don't get it! one minute it's pink, then it's not, no new post but the paras have bogged off - yay Twat! someone to sort you out Daphne, definitely. Under Zoe's supervision of course-ish. Oh, and have a good weekend!
Does the Twat know it's Brussels beer weekend? I don't think we'll be seeing much of him once he finds out.
he's not a big beer drinker, luv - unless he's down t'pub with tony.
I have 4 girls Daphne, I need an elephant to carry our luggage if we go away for just a day !!!
Little nothings. I like that, and that's important.
I can help you with your template if you're still having trouble--
Zoe has my email address : )
--Joanna
Joanna, I did try to e-mail you the other day but you obviously didn't get it. Thanks for the offer, but I fixed it ALL BY MYSELF!! Bloghelp forum is quite useful.
it fucking isn't.
Post a Comment