Last Saturday night I took the Hornblowers out for a meal, as they are finally leaving Brussels and going to vegetate in deepest Bucks. They arrived with their small grand-daughters Hermione and Hepzibah, who are very well behaved in restaurants. Most of the time. They arrived more or less on time, only because I had phoned ahead and woken Desmond up. The narcolepsy isn't getting any better. Once he fell asleep in the middle of a conversation with Harold. Mind you, who hasn't?We met at the Pizzeria Paradiso, on Museumlaan in Tervuren, which I think is one of the best Italian restaurants in Brussels. Pity it is right out in the English ghetto on the far eastern edge of the city. The food is scrumptious, and the service is always friendly and efficient. The restaurant was packed with diners, which speaks for itself. The owner-waiters speak at least four languages fluently - French, Flemish, English and Italian - and probably a few more besides, and are brilliant with children. And with Desmond.
To start, Desmond ordered a tuna carpaccio which looked absolutely mouthwatering. I tried a little bit - it was scrumptioso, wafer-thin slivers of fresh tuna drizzled with truffle, I mean twuffle, oil. I have had beef carpaccio but will certainly try tuna carpaccio next time. Vi had calamari fritti, and I had garlic prawns - one of the nice things about being single, you can eat what you want and the pillow won't complain - and was served a dish with six huge butterfly prawns sitting in a pool of melted garlic butter. Hermione and Hepzibah had home made tomato soup which was delicious, if unadventurous. But they are only 5 and 7. For main courses, the children shared a pizza carbonara, Vi had tagliatelle in a cream sauce, Desmond had a huge thin-crust pizza, and I had Saltimbocca alla Romana, delicious veal escalopes with ham and cheese in a very tasty sauce, and a plate of chips on the side which were more for the children than for me. Oh and two litres of red wine, most of which Desmond and I managed to dispose of with ease.
The Hornblower family have the appetites of birds. Vultures. Desserts were ordered - "Dames Blanches" for Hermione and the grandparents (vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce). Hepzibah was doing an Elton, didn't like any of the desserts on offer, so the waiter-boss brought her a "surprise" which she didn't like either. I would have liked a home-made panna cotta, but the boss said I needed to order it in advance, so instead I had a chocolate mousse which, like everything at Paradiso, was fait maison. A coffee and some complimentary amarettos, and we rolled out of the restaurant sighing and patting our tummies.

The Hornblowers will be sadly missed. Mostly by the owner of the Paradiso and the wine section at their local GB store. But I shall miss my GNOs (girls' nights out) with Vi, and will never be able to pass a raunchy underwear shop without thinking of her. Deepest Bucks is about to be hit by an earth tremor in a leopardskin thong. And Desmond will probably sleep right through it.
24 comments:
Can you believe it? Our 'quite good ' Italian restaurant is closed
Can you believe it? Our 'quite good ' Italian restaurant is closed
Can you believe it? Our 'quite good ' Italian restaurant is closed
contd: for a FORTNIGHT IN AUGUST! Very typical of hereabouts. You are probably the only person i could breath on today without you blenching - last night's organic beef marinated in wine and masses of garlic - courtesy of son and grand-son. Sorry about the split comment but nothing to do with me guv! It's sad to lose a kindred spirit isn't it? But you seem very well served thre in Belgium with the gels.
I would have ordered un-souped tomatoes, followed by a gigantic dessert combing fresh fruit, ice cream and chocolate sauce. Don't you need to have "buns of steel" to look good in underwear like that? We gorillas have buns of steel, but don't need underwear.
GB - that's your opinion, mate. The rear view of a gorilla is only exciting to another gorilla. Still it's better than one of Germaine Greer's dogs with visible bollocks.
Back to the food - Daffers, when are we going to eat together? And can it be there?
When we went to Cuba we discovered that quite a few restaurants were closed for New Year. Then we went to Altrincham, in deepest Cheshire-don't-call-it-Manchester, and discovered a restaurant closed for Christmas AND New Year.
Only been to Brussels airport on transit!
Un de ces jours, peut-être!!
If ever you find yourselves in Edinburgh, look up a great Italian restaurant called La Partenope! Excellent cuisine!
So good that I am heading back up North with my French friend Didier!
That's not real leopard-skin is it Daph?
I'm afraid I just find that cruel, especially since there are so many tabby-skin alternatives these days. The tabbies are humanely farmed and have scratching posts and everything and they say it's just like the real thing...
marianne, we'll have to get together and have a girlie evening out with daffers. you'll regret it, but you can't die before having done it.
and i still can't bloody publish my post(s). GAH.
Pat, you seem to be having a bit of a problem with posting comments! Either that or you're repeating yourself. Garlic does that to you.
Fluffy, you might get into the Savoy Grill without underwear, but do remember to wear a tie.
Ready when you are Aunty. Not this weekend though, I'm moving to the nouveau Wayne-Bough Towers.
Gert, I won't go to Cuba for New Year then. I won't go to Paris either, after last year's fiasco when I got there and discovered it was about the only city in Europe that wasn't doing fireworks.
Cream, did you know there are (allegedly) more Michelin stars in Brussels than in Paris? There's a street with about a thousand restaurants, mostly seafood - called Rue des Bouchers. Mais bien sur!
Sam, I wouldn't put it past Vi Hornblower to have a real leopard down her thong. Now that really is cruelty. I suspect it's viscose though. I can't work out which way round it goes.
Zed, see response to Aunty above. It will be like the witches scene from Macbeth when we finally get together. Paradiso is a worth the detour.
Sorry to lower the tone and all that, but I've been looking at that thong for a couple of days now and can't work out where all the bits go. Are some parts missing? I am an engineer.
Yes. Is that dangly thing in the middle meant to nestle between buttocks or front-bum?
And when you 3 gals get together, you must all 3 blog it :-D
I agree with GG. I'd like to read that!
I think that thong must be a crotchless one and we're not seeing the back bit 'cos it's stretched round something white. the dangly bit - I haven't a clue. It looks like it would tickle wherever it goes.
sam, that was what i thought about the thong. the dangly thing is a portable sex-toy. Crikey, after wearing that who needs a man ?
Clever girl Sam, it is indeed a CROTCHLESS G-string: I was unaware that such a thong existed. Have a look at some wince-inducing models at http://www.undercoverexperience.co.uk
(Not you Maroon, I don't think you're heart would take it).
It's always an educational experience visiting your place Daphne. But you'd have to be Barbie to wear one of those things.
Barmy, you mean.
Eighteen quid for a bloody torn handkerchief? Are you crackers, woman!
I checked the site and one pair of boxers nearly punched my lights out: £12!
I can go to Matalan or Asda across the road and get meself 8 pairs for that!
Who the hell's gonna get to see them anyway?
I can’t see many women wearing them out to the bingo. Having said that, there seems so much fun about them that my opinion on them has shifted 180 degrees. Well done.
I really should get out more.
“...unaware such a thong existed…” my God, you’re good.
All a gal has to do is tear a piece of fabric and wear it, why pay so much for a piece of cloth and elastic?
Well I wouldn't and you wouldn't, and Cream certainly wouldn't, although Maroon is thinking about it I think.
Eighteen quid for a bloody torn handkerchief? Are you crackers, woman!
I checked the site and one pair of boxers nearly punched my lights out: £12!
I can go to Matalan or Asda across the road and get meself 8 pairs for that!
Who the hell's gonna get to see them anyway?
Post a Comment