It has been nothing but party, party, party recently. I finished off my summer season last night with a trip to Antwerp to see Femi Kuti, the multi-talented Nigerian musician and bandleader, older brother of Seun Kuti who I saw at Couleur Café last month, and eldest son of the late great Black President, Fela Anikulapo Kuti (Woyayah! Praise be to his ancestors!) the scourge of many a Nigerian dictatorship. I saw Femi play once before during my days out in the tropics with Harold, many years ago at the Peninsula Club in Lagos. I never got to see his esteemed father (Femi’s, not Harold’s) play at his Lagos club The Shrine, as it took a lot of organisation and security in those days to make the trip across town at night, and in any case Fela never came on stage before 2.00 a.m., which even back then was way past my bedtime. I regret it now, as Fela died in 1997. Femi is his father’s son, and although the concert started at 8.30 with a warm-up band, he didn’t come on until 10.00 p.m. The concert was at the open air theatre in the Rivierenhof park, a delightful location, and luckily it was a dry evening and not too cold.Femi is accompanied these days by an 11½ piece band – a 5½ piece brass section (the ½ being Femi’s 10-year-old son, quite a mean sax player already, promising the continuation of Afrobeat for another generation to come), no less than 3 percussionists, 2 guitars, keyboards, not to mention the trademark dancing girls (3) in African tribal costumes, who are probably the most popular part of Femi’s band, especially among his male fans who welcomed them with a great woyaya. They are solid young ladies, with thighs like rugger players, and worked extremely hard for the duration of the concert, their versatile backsides shimmying like a windfarm in a Force 9 gale. Femi did a stonking set, and a large number of the crowd were on their feet from beginning to end, waving their herbal cigarettes in the air. I didn’t find him quite as danceable as his brother Seun, Femi having moved towards a jazzier variation on their father’s Afrobeat sound,
but it was great music, and Femi is still a fine figure of a man, especially when he takes his shirt off to reveal a six pack that Jagger can only dream of (the ladies cheered at this point). Femi’s songs are still very political, and several of them mentioned President Obasanjo in a less than flattering light. I don’t know why, the Pres got an award last year, for running the most corrupt country in the world or something. He must be doing something right.
A few words about Antwerp before I settle down once more to dismal monotony. I am dead impressed. It is worth going there for the railway station alone, which is like a cathedral. Last time I went it was a national holiday, so the shops (apart from the diamond merchants) were shut. This time everything was open and I discovered an exciting, vibrant city with what has to be some of the best shopping in Europe. Some of the designer clothing made me stop in my tracks – and I’m a C&A girl as everyone knows. I must have been distracted, as I managed to lose my umbrella without even sitting down! There are more restaurants than you could manage to eat in if you stayed there a year, and of an amazing variety – South African, Indonesian, Argentinian, Croatian, Cuban bars, Irish pubs, karaoke clubs, you name it, there is something for everyone in Antwerp. Even the people were better-looking than in Brussels, particularly the gay men. (Was that the sound of Peter's suitcase snapping shut?). Although I do not speak or understand Flemish, all the waiters and shopkeepers and even the bus drivers speak English and French. I shall definitely be going back there frequently, especially as I plucked up the courage to venture into a diamond shop and get some prices. Dangerously reasonable. There’s a little ½ carat honey up there with my name on it. You will be the first to know.
14 comments:
What a jolly time you are having. Films can be great - I dimly remember - but live concerts are something else and really get the blood rushing round. Am enjoying your doings vicariously. Musn't get too excited.
Isn't 'Femi' short for 'Olufemi'? I once met a man called Olufemi Babatunde Oyetunji. He tried to sell me a coconut.
Pat - me neither. I've mislaid my angina pills.
GB - of course, as an African you would know these things. Beware of Mr Oyetunji, especially if he tells you he has 20 million coconuts in storage in Switzerland, and just needs a down payment from you of 20 thousand coconuts in return for which he'll cut you in. You wouldn't be the first to fall for that one.
See, when I tell people Antwerp is the nicest place in Belgium, they call me a chauvinist.
Glad you didn't drown in the parc. Was it easy to get from and to the station by tram/bus?
Bart, you're quite right, I think Antwerp is fabulous! I am even thinking of buying an apartment there and commuting to Brussels like you do. The tram was dead easy, stopped outside the park and ran very late. It was a bit spooky walking through the park at 11.30 at night, but the 12.26 train back to Brussels was packed with people so was fine.
In the words of Arnie -- I'll be back!
i told you antwerp was great. you never listen to me, you old bat.
thanks for visiting my blog. you make me laugh. you are a wicked vixen. keep up the good work!
Zoe: when?
Banana: don't tell anyone about my true identity, I'll lose my Saga membership.
Hi Daphne and thanks for thinking of me and good-looking men in adjacent sentences. Sadly I have put these matters behind me. Never did enjoy that sort of thing much, anyway. Just kind of filled in the time when I was bored.
Sex is hugely overrated. How I wish I could have just one percent of the time back that I wasted on it.
"Put these matters behind me" -- Snigger!! I'm too old for luscious young men too but it don't stop me having a good ogle.
OOOOH, YOUNG MA-A-A-A-AN!!!!
So much happening out *there*. Makes me think sometimes I live in a place that should be called Dulltown.
[Just me, having a little whinge today, Daphne].
Don't fret GG, in the winter you can laugh when we are shivering in the cold and wet and you are basking in the sunshine. We pay a price for all this excitement you know.
I love Antwerp. Was taken to a pub there once that's over 600 years old. Now that's class.
Just a reply to the Gorilla Bananas guy...
You need to be careful with the scam artists. The one you spoke to gave you the name of a completely different person (Olufemi Babatunde Oyetunji) is actually a respected actuary and businessman in Nigeria. The scammer was obviously hoping you would do a search on that identity and come up with the idea he was trustworthy....
Post a Comment