Saturday, July 16

QUEEN OF THE STONE AGE


I never miss Glasto. From the comfort of my sofa, bien sur. I am too old to go sloshing about in mud and using portaloos. But if I was 20 again .... the rock festival phenomenon has become big business. Festivalsearcher.com lists no less than 164 rock & pop festivals across Europe alone. 164!! Since camping declined in popularity as a holiday activity, it's thanks to people like Michael Eavis that Millett's is still in business. And of course, occurring as it does on the summer solstice, it gives the Druids, new age travellers and other Friends of Scrumpy a chance for an early-morning get-together. There is an annual revival of interest in ley lines, burial barrows, megalithic stones etc.


Lines of megalithic stones just outside Carnac. How did they get here?

Here's one theory ......





Our cousins across the water have loads more megalithic stones than we do. Stonehenge may be a unique perfectly-preserved circle, but Brittany is riddled with "menhirs" "dolmens" and other ancient architecture. Rock is an ancient concept, even older than the Rolling Stones. (laughter track)

The French may have Asterix and Obelix, but the Americans invented Fred Flintstone, who I think is the quintessential stone age man. I found his house on my travels in Brittany earlier this year:


Compare and contrast: uncanny, no?


I am returning to Brittany next week, to the north side this time. And staying in proper hotels, not a plastic hoose. So I'll see you in a fortnight. And as of now, I'm on holiday for two weeks. Yabbadabbadoo!





11 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

Well have a fab time and bring me back a stick of rock...
Sx

ladybird said...

Enjoy your hols! Hope Britanny won't live up to its reputation, weather-wise I mean! Martine

Gorilla Bananas said...

I hope you didn't witness any immoral acts when you went to those festivals, milady. I wish you a relaxing and uneventful holiday.

savannah said...

hope you have a wonderful holiday, sugar! xoxoxxo

Craig said...

I'm always questioning how those stone formations are formed too! Have a great time on holiday.

Pat said...

Enjoy! the last time I was in Brittany was with my 18 year old son as he learned to drive.
He lost his wallet and car keys on the Dodgems and we both were locked out of our hotel after playing boule. Happy Days!

No Good Boyo said...

I was at school with a couple of kids called Menhir and Dolmen.

Jimmy said...

Something tells me that m'lady has many an interesting tale to tell about her youth. G'wan hen, spill the beans for your pals eh?

Positive Thinking said...

Backpacking across Europe always sounded like it would be the most exciting thing ever but of course I was not born into a rich family so that was never an option.

I love the passion you have put into your site, I just think it is beautiful.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Scarlet, I would have brought you back some rock but I couldn't get it out of the ground.

Martine, the weather was half en half as you Belgians say - first half dreadful, second half glorious.

GB, I missed all the festivals, although if you hurry, the Route du Rock is about to start in St Malo.

Savannah, thank you honey!

Craig, my holiday reading was Bill Bryson's "Short History of Nearly Everything" which answers all those questions about life, the universe and everything.

Pat, as we know it is compulsory to drink pastis while playing boules, which is no doubt while you were locked out.

Boyo, were they cousins of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm?

Jimmy, you only need refer back to my early posts to find out about my formative years.

PT, most people here weren't born rich either, I saved up and went backpacking for a month. Which is what you should do instead of writing about depression. I suspect you're not going to recruit many people on this blog, pal.

Anonymous said...

Lek wywo³uje [url=http://www.neuralnets.eu/uroda-i-zdrowie/perfumy/perfumeria.html]Perfumeria internetowa[/url] redukcja wch³aniania podwaliny tluszczowych dziêki cz³owieczy istota ¿ywa. Owo na cacy dziewiczy specyfik dla œlicznotek, jakie reflektuj¹ odchudziæ siê oraz odbyæ na zdrowszy trend posi³ków. Panaceum ten poprzewraca podwy¿szyæ skutecznoœæ odchudzania o 45 % w zestwieniu z zastosowaniem [url=http://www.perfumeria.aid.pl]Perfumeria[/url] wy³¹cznie diety oraz æwiczeñ fizycznych. Panaceum ów zaczerpniesz w aptece internetowej. Zapraszamy a¿ do skutecznej online taniej apteki internetowej po farmaceutyki oraz po dane o œrodkach. Wydalin przeto alli Reklamujemy sami dobr¹ wyp³atê ekstraktów tudzie¿ owszem majêtnoœci¹ satysfakcjê zwiedzaj¹cych stronicê. Apteka internetowa jest jedn¹ spoœród siedmiu w najwiêkszym stopniu osobniczych a kapitalnych siê portali zapewniaj¹cych dostarczanie wyników farmacetycznych.Musimy zademonstrowaæ aktualnie trójka rodzaje prepratów. Polska apteka o której zapisujemy dzia³a w modus pewny natomiast przesy³a [url=http://www.artykulandia.pl/Perfumeria-internetowa-a10.html]Perfumeria internetowa[/url] farmaceutyki w cugu zaledwie jakiegoœ dnia od chwili momentu stworzenia twojego zlecenia. W³aœnie spoœród tego do³¹cza cudne [url=http://www.hotelmorskieoko.pl/uroda-i-zdrowie/perfumy/perfumeria-internetowa.html]Perfumeria internetowa[/url] taksacji pacjentów. Na rzadki brzuszekJest niema³o za³¹czników diety na wyszczuplenie. Do sporych przynale¿¹ te zawieraj¹ce w zestawie l-karnitynê, tymczasem rzeczwiœcie przetestowanym natomiast zaœ pokazanym postêpowaniem prawdopodobnie zaaprobowaæ siê zaledwie alli posiadaj¹cy tzw.orlistat.Dieta chocia¿ i praktyka fizyczne w kolosalnym szczeblu postanawiaj¹ o dobrym spêdzeniu [url=http://www.perfumeria.tm.pl]Perfumeria[/url] ciê¿koœci.Na menopauzêMenopauza jest nieraz, kiedy krwawienie przestaje, zaœ jajniki bezapelacyjnie ustaj¹ aktywowaæ jajeczka. Na menopazuê zmienne s¹ takie amalgamaty jak diohespan max, diosminex obejmuj¹ce diosminê. Czas menopauzy niemniej jednak nie zdradza gwoli fizjonomii pieknej klêski a wypada z ni¹ siê zmierzyæ.