Saturday, April 25

EVERYTHING'S CONNECTED

OAPs favourite

Barack Obama didn't come to Brussels. Three months slogging at the gym and all for nothing. Mind you, just as well I suppose, as I actually gained weight at the gym. I was told it was because muscle is heavier than fat. And as far as I can see, it takes up as much room, so what was the point of that? I have not renewed my three-month subscription, and I am devising my own summer exercise plan. This involves getting off the metro one station before the end of my journey to work and back and walking through a park at each end. When not dodging joggers it is tempting to amble along, stopping to smell the flowers occasionally, but it's exercise, and it is FREE.




The End is in sight

The rest of the time I'll spend running after the new computer, which should work off a few hundred calories a day.

Eurovision is but 3 weeks away.
The Spanish entry has been changed - it's not going to be Melody after all, so no chance of seeing the former child star with the seven sex gods of flamenco although they're still on YouTube. UK's Jade Goody sings Andrew Lloyd-Webber (subs: is this right?) but personally I fancy Armenia, who are putting up a jazzy kind of workout dance by the home grown version of the Cheeky Girls, one of whom has a voice spookily reminiscent of Cher, a daughter of Yerevan herself, who was once married to Greg Allmann, the composer of the theme to Top Gear which I featured a few weeks back. You see how everything's connected ?

Anyway, I will expect to be doing a spot of this dance in the park on my way to work in a few weeks, when it wins Eurovision.




14 comments:

Barlinnie said...

Be careful of any muggers in the park, especially those with hoods up, and cans of Special Brew.

...and the best fitness workout would have to be sex.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I distinctly heard the old harem pipe tooting away in the Armenian entry. Nice to know these medieval instruments still have competent players. Have you thought of joining an aerobics group, milady?

Madame DeFarge said...

I'm wondering (in an idle Saturday morning type of way) why these two ladies are dressed in carpet offcuts? I suppose it makes a difference from lurex and lycra, but it's very disconcerting.

And Eurovision will not be the same without Terry Wogan. I shall pine for his tones.

Pat said...

Muscle doesn't wobble but Heaven forfend that I should encourage you to join the other suckers in the gym. Walking is the way to go and at this time of year pure pleasure. Incidentally my son was impressed with by my uphill walking ability and I haven't been near a gym since school but I did drop the fags in '77.
Nice photos.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Hurray, for my money places like Armenia should win Eurovision every time! (But it's a shame they translate their poetic lyrics about goat-herding and carpet-selling into rubbish like "everybody move your body").

I'm unable float, which can only be because muscle is heavier than fat.

david mcmahon said...

Brussels? I know it well.

And Barack is coming there next month, specifically to say ``G'day'' to you.

He told me.

Joanna Cake said...

I hate gyms. So boring. Since I gave up work and was able to walk three miles or more per day on the school run, the weight fell off me.

Now you've got regular exercise into your equation, you have to look at the times that you eat. Having a big meal at 8.30pm when it has no time to digest is probably one of the biggest mistakes that most dieters make. Try to eat at around 6 and allow yourself one biscuit or a slice of toast later in the evening if you get peckish and see if it starts to make a difference. Muscle is definitely heavier than fat so the best way to see if you are losing weight is to take measurements and check them each month - waist, bum, boobs, thigh, etc. Good Luck!

Are we still in the Eurovision Song Contest? I thought we'd gone off in a huff over the voting?

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Daphne,

I would never utter the words "you need to" concerning you and exercise. I will only say, "enjoy the sights and sounds of your leisurely walk through the park".

The U has no use for gyms or fitness centers.

BTW: You know I'm in heaven because of your chocolate recommendations. Although I don't worship anyone, you have become a kind of hero to me. You are (as Madame DeFarge would say) "My blogging chum".

U

Zed said...

I remember the horror of finding out that I'd put on weight rather than having lost some when I first went to a gym. But it's those muscles that do it.

If you have anywhere to put a bicycle, you'll find yourself losing cms from all sorts of places. Highly recommended.

I thought the ESC had stopped because of the voting - it's no fun now. No politics mixed up with "if you don't give us douze points we'll bomb your little country."

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

The worst thing about the gym was the changing room, which smelled quite unpleasant and was full of wobbly women flaunting their nakedness in a brazen fashion. I managed to fix my gaze somewhere in the middle distance when changing but on one occasion looked up from tying my shoes to come face to face (so to speak) with what is called in French a "ticket de metro".

I really do not need that kind of thing on a daily basis.



Jimmy B, that's as may be.

GB, no.

Mme Defarge, because the dress designer paid for the video. She is the world famous Nina Hovnanian (New York - Paris - Yerevan). Her Yerevan office address is Abovyan 1 (upstairs). Classy.

Pat, I don't smoke enough to stop. Firmness is just a fad. I'm waiting for the Rubens model look to come back into fashion.

Gadjo, what is a norpar when it's at home? I thought some of the lyrics sounded vaguely like Hindi. Would any passing philologist like to chip in here?

Dave, a big welcome to anyone from down under. Obama tells you things like that? Really? Wow. Well at least you don't talk to Napoleon.

Cakey, welcome to you too. I know about eating earlier, I try to eat my main meal at midday during the week as I'm rarely home by 6.00. But the French and Spanish all eat late and they're not overweight.

U, are you fat?

Zoe, you NEED to put on weight. If you drank less and ate more you'd look better.



I'M NOT TAKING ANY PRISONERS THIS WEEKEND.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Norpar? No idea, Daph. At a guess, it's a goat cheese sold wrapped in a piece of edible a carpet.

Ms Scarlet said...

Oh crikey, I'm still munching chocolate... but walking and dancing to Euro tunes does tend to sort it all out...
Sx

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Any further suggestions as to what is meant by the word "norpar" in the line "jumping up to the norpar" from the song, and just what the words "jan jan" in the title mean and how they fit into the whole scheme of things would be most appreciated. If it is total gibberish in Armenian too, they're definitely favourites to win.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oooh yes, walking...it's fun and you feel so good afterwards. Keep your eyes and ears open, you'll see / hear some strange things.

As for losing weight, eating right has to go with the walking. I know some people who walk for miles and still gain weight. Because they EAT lots. And lots and lots and lots. They've told me this. Shamelessly, hahaha.

I'm skinny. I dream of looking like Beyonce.