
Congratulations to a nice Young Maaan on winning the Democratic nomination. He's got a smile that makes the lilac wanna grow, a voice that loosens knicker elastic and Bruce Springsteen singing his campaign song. With his well-cut suits and his lovely tan he has brought a new elegance to American politics.
I'm not sure how I feel about the possible future President of the United States being younger than me, but as a daughter of Hibernia (I'm a Harridan on my father's side) I can't help cheering on a fellow ethnic minority. He's Irish, you know. I'm not sure which part of Ireland the O'Bamas hailed from, but he looks like a Kerry man to me. The O'Bamas were not very good at geography, and instead of joining the hordes heading for America, went the wrong way and settled in Kenya. I do hope he has not inherited their sense of direction.
He may not even win the race against the Republicans. You can say what you like about John McCain, but this superb campaign video will appeal to blue-collar workers and people of Belgian extraction.
I'm not sure how I feel about the possible future President of the United States being younger than me, but as a daughter of Hibernia (I'm a Harridan on my father's side) I can't help cheering on a fellow ethnic minority. He's Irish, you know. I'm not sure which part of Ireland the O'Bamas hailed from, but he looks like a Kerry man to me. The O'Bamas were not very good at geography, and instead of joining the hordes heading for America, went the wrong way and settled in Kenya. I do hope he has not inherited their sense of direction.
He may not even win the race against the Republicans. You can say what you like about John McCain, but this superb campaign video will appeal to blue-collar workers and people of Belgian extraction.
19 comments:
I am waving a placard that says, "Obama for president!", even though I don't live in America and the Americans can't see it.
:P
From the very beginning, he has seemed to be the most sensible person among all the candidates, democrat or republican.
How come they can quarter the US for 18 months and still look out the bandbox while after a day away in Croydon we look like refugees?
And Irish? You’re having a laugh. He’s Scotch, everyone knows that. Very good family, had that big Morris garage in Kirkintilloch, cousin played for Partick Thistle in the seventies.
Isn't McCain Irish as well? I heard some people from Ballyphehane calling him "Jahnny McCoin" or something.
And Dr Maroon, a cheeky girl from Dundee had the nerve to tell me that Scotch was a drink not the name of her people. Her name is Nichola and she made one of the last comments on the Fee-fi-fo-fum post.
There used to be a middle class tartan convention that comestibles from Scotland tomatoes beef whisky lamb lettuce were scotch while we were Scottish. What a crock. Ask any American, my cousins for example and they will assert they are “Scatch” and proud of it. The truth being they are as “Scatch” as I am American.
Lol!
Vida
Gosh that is so clever! All these years I've been subliminally primed for McCain to become president.
Perhaps that's why I had no problem with Bush (the elder) coming to power when I was in my 20s...
'Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has been told he must pay Tesco £86,000 to put his concerns about chicken welfare to the supermarket's shareholders.'
Come on Daph, chip in a few bob to help the poor chap out.
Boy, the credit crunch is really hitting hard. I'm betting that last month these chippy dancers were all top executives with six figures.
Obama is a Hebridean, plain and simple, but not plain and simple in the way Dubya is. He's really a MacBama, you can tell by his sexy, loose lope and his easy, salt of the croft manners.
A Democrat in the whitehous? Obama dead body!
Not this time anyway, this Bush clan is most corrupt bunch of wrong'uns I've seen in years. They'll make sure their man gets in.
Sid, I used to think that about Tony Blair, and then ... it all went horribly wrong.
Doc and GB, Scots and Irish are kissing cousins - my two grandfathers were called Pat and Mick, but one of them was Glaswegian.
GB and Doc, Scotch is also French for Sellotape, although technically it is the TM of the 3M brand of ruban adhesif. "Scotcher" is now an accepted verb meaning to tape up with sticky tape.
Kim, how do you think Boris managed to win the London elections? Two million babies' bottoms can't be wrong.
Gambo, Hugh wrote to me, and I have sent a few quid to help his campaign. Gosh, democracy isn't cheap, is it? No wonder the rich usually get their way.
Sam, I think my next campaign will be to get O'McBama into a kilt. I'm sorry, I'm drooling even as I write that. If he fails in the Presidentials he can always do a Reagan-in-reverse and become a movie star.
Jake, I just hope Barack has some strong kevlar underwear under that elegant suit. He's too much like RFK for comfort sometimes.
I think the whole world came from Ireland - if they look hard enough. Whoever takes over- having watched a Panorama prog last night - there's a lot of murky stuff to be cleared up.
Looks can be very deceiving. This man is a politician!
I'm sure the whole charm thing gets put in a glass of water by the side of the bed at night.
Pat, the Celts go back a long way -- and originate from somewhere like Afghanistan. Wouldn't it be awful if Mr Bin Laden turned out to be an O'Sama? Even worse, one of the DONEGAL O'Samas?
Doris, a politician, deceiving? Surely not! But if we don't have politicians, how else are we going to keep the world turning? Answers on a postcard, please ...
Oh crap, I deleted that comment and don't remember what I said, I wanted to change something.
I was singing praises Obama's smiling.
And saying something about me being cynical about people who do politricks, but I believe in giving people chances too.
And Doris should meet a cousin's ex, not a politician, but definitely deceitful.
By the way Daffers, I have finally started posting again. I will have to keep the home front up whilst the Aunt is away!
GG, true, deceitfulness is not restricted to politicians, why should we expect them to be any different from the rest of us?
Doris, you couldn't stand not being on my blogroll any longer, admit it. I am expecting the Aunt to blog more often from the jungle, expats only work three hours a day in the colonies, everyone knows that. Then it's orf to the club for Singapore slings and tiffin.
Once again I am humbled to be in the prescence of such an astute observer of world events.
As a person of Belgian extraction I can say without fear of contradiction, that the McCain ad capmpaign had me from Hello.
As for the young Irishman with the great tan, there's always 2012, and hopefully that crazy lady who tried to ruin the Democrats chances (and may have already irrepairably suceeded) will stay home and try to keep her old dog on the front porch.
How those Americans can stand those insufferable 3 year campaigns is beyond me?
((GAWD!))
I see Obama's been practising his smile in front of the mirror like me for the local paper!
Post a Comment