Sunday, June 22

TO A THISSULL



Last week the giant thistle growing in the front garden disappeared. It was over 4' high and in full bloom, its great purple hairy things bursting out all over. The gardener obviously didn't realize it was the national symbol of Scotland. Why should he, he's Moroccan.

McChe was inconsolable.
While I searched vainly in the CD collection to find something Scottish and mournful, finally having to settle for Lulu's Greatest Hits, McChe stood in the open window overlooking the empty space in the herbaceous border and, clutching his can of Irn Bru, recited a verse from Burns:

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,

The trembling earth resounds his tread.

Clap in his walie nieve a blade,

He'll make it whissle;

An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned,

Like taps o' thrissle.


If you wish to leave a message of condolence, pop over to McChe's art blog which he has just revived by popular demand - oh all right, a passing enquiry from Tom Joad. If you don't, may I suggest you listen to "Gift of a Thistle" from the soundtrack of Braveheart, a beautiful piece of music, on my sidebar. Well you don't have a choice, actually, as the new Deezer embedded thingie switches itself on automatically. This could cause problems if you're reading this in the office. I was planning on putting some Ian Dury on next week.

14 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Ah yes, the Scots were always fond of a wistful dirge. I suppose it soothes the aches and pains after a night of heavy boozing and fisticuffs. Are thistles edible? There's often taste flesh beneath prickles.

Sidhusaaheb said...

One of my favourite remnants from the British raj are bagpipes! It is always a treat to listen to an Indian army or police band play those.

So, I rather enjoyed listening to Scotland the Brave from the sidebar, besides A Gift of a Thistle, of course.

:)

Sidhusaaheb said...

...and Amazing Grace.

:P

Kim Ayres said...

We're not short of thistles round here. Nor cow pats for that matter.
Nor midges, come to think of it.

Gamb0 said...

I expect your Moroccan gardner would appreciate a few tracks by Nass El Ghiwane to accompany your blog. I'll guarantee he will tend all future thistles with loving care.

Anonymous said...

"Well you don't have a choice, actually, as the new Deezer embedded thingie switches itself on automatically."

Never heard of NoScript, then ?

I pee on your English sentimentality.

>:+P

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, not much flesh on McChe. Think he'd taste a bit stringy. As for prickles, let's not even go there.

Sid, bagpipes was the worst aspect of colonial rule. Makes waterboarding look like a day out at Center Parks.

Kim, could you DHL us one? Gift wrapped if poss, McChe's got a birthday coming up.

Gambo, he may have a grudge against the Scots because of Caid MacLean.

McFirefox, sentimentality didn't build empires. Anyway the film was made by Americans.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly the reason why I put the loudspeakers off...

Believe it or not, but thistles are illegal in Belgium: you can get a fine if you don't destroy them because they're considered a harmful weed.
I don't know if this means that you should weed Scottish people too.

Romeo Morningwood said...

"Sex and Drugs and taps o' Thrissle,
is all McChe's brain and body needs"

Is it really illegal to have them in Belgium? The 'weeds' will still be here long after 'we've' gone.

Mr Farty said...

Jings, crivvens and help ma boab, that fair brought a tear tae ma een. The noo.

They can tak oor thistles but they cannae tak oor freedom, as oor great Australian/American folk hero might have said.

Kim Ayres said...

A thistle, a cow pat or a midge (or an arty combination of all 3)?

Soup Waiter said...

luckily I'm muted so I haven't heard it. I played the pipes once and even though I can't play them, I don't think anyone noticed.

I'm really lucky I meet a lot of polite people.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Bart, why does that not surprise me? McChe is more of a harmless weed.

Donn, I think he was planning to smoke it. Now he knows it's illegal he will want to smoke it even more.

Farty, where is Bill Wallace when you need him? He's the only man who will lead the people against Brussels.

Kim, thissull, nitwit, although after what Bart has told us, you might have to disguise it as a marijuana plant, which probably is not illegal in Belgium.

Jake, if you played them as well as you play air guitar, nobody would have noticed.

Scouse Doris said...

Sorry about the thistle McChe - now the neighbours will be able to see you all dancing in the window with no obstructions.

Looking forward to the Ian Dury though.