
Yesterday was Europe Day, commemorating the date of the 1950 declaration presented by Robert Schuman, the French foreign minister, generally credited as the founding father of what is now the European Union. He has lent his name to the Schuman district of Brussels, where most of the European Institutions are to be found. If you want to listen to the voice of the great man reading his declaration, clickez-vous here.
Robert Schuman was born a German in Luxembourg, but became French at the age of 33 when his father's native Alsace was returned to France after the end of the first world war. He thus had the dubious honour of being on active service for Germany during World War 1 (although in a civilian capacity) and with the French resistance (after imprisonment by the Nazis) in World War 2. His idea of reconciliation and unity in Europe was based on a passionate conviction that member countries should and could never wage war against each other again. He was a sort of European Nelson Mandela, without the jazzy shirts.
Educated by the Jesuits, Robert Schuman was an intensely religious man and a Bible scholar, who remained single and celibate all his life. His possible beatification is actually under consideration by the Vatican, but for Euro civil servants who benefit from an extra days' holiday on 9th May on top of their huge salaries, he has been "Saint Schuman" for many years already, and every payday they offer a silent prayer to their patron saint.
Stanley Kubrick illustrated Schuman's philosophy to interesting effect in his seminal work "A Clockwork Orange". Jump to about four and a half minutes into the clip to get an inkling of UKIP's idea of Europe.
Robert Schuman was born a German in Luxembourg, but became French at the age of 33 when his father's native Alsace was returned to France after the end of the first world war. He thus had the dubious honour of being on active service for Germany during World War 1 (although in a civilian capacity) and with the French resistance (after imprisonment by the Nazis) in World War 2. His idea of reconciliation and unity in Europe was based on a passionate conviction that member countries should and could never wage war against each other again. He was a sort of European Nelson Mandela, without the jazzy shirts.
Educated by the Jesuits, Robert Schuman was an intensely religious man and a Bible scholar, who remained single and celibate all his life. His possible beatification is actually under consideration by the Vatican, but for Euro civil servants who benefit from an extra days' holiday on 9th May on top of their huge salaries, he has been "Saint Schuman" for many years already, and every payday they offer a silent prayer to their patron saint.
Stanley Kubrick illustrated Schuman's philosophy to interesting effect in his seminal work "A Clockwork Orange". Jump to about four and a half minutes into the clip to get an inkling of UKIP's idea of Europe.
17 comments:
I often hope that countries in the Indian sub-continent will emulate the European Union model some day and, thus, push away the threat of nuclear war, besides making it possible for the people, who have a lot of commonalities in terms of culture, language and food habits, to interact more with those from their neighbouring countries.
Are you sure he remained celibate during his spell in the French resistance? Women are often gagging for it in those sort of intense situations where life may be short. So I've heard. Even Stephen Fry tried it with a woman once. Don't bring gorillas into it, please.
Thanks for that ducks. Just what I needed at bed-time. He didn't half suffer for his art did he? That shot can't have been fun.
Sid, are you advocating a return of the British Raj? Unfortunately religion is the stumbling block: we're having a bit of umming and ahing here over whether to let Turkey in.
GB, where did I bring gorillas in?
Pat, I forgot to point out that the piece of Ludwig Van being played to him while he viddies the nasty films is the European anthem "Ode to Joy" -- but then you all knew that didn't you?
.... and Robert was very fond of his Gewurztraminer!
You didn't. It was a request rather than a complaint.
I always thought the Schuman district was named after his German composer namesake, and it was just some stupid Wallonian spelling that left off the second "n"!
I guess I probably ought to have known better, seeing as I have been renting an apartment in that very same district for about the last 4 years. So much for my observation and inquisitiveness.
Gambo, I'm quite fond of a Gewurztraminer myself, it slips down a treat when chewing on a knockwurst.
GB, your secret's safe with me, big boy.
Lynx, just for information, "Monnet" isn't the Walloon spelling of the French impressionist painter's name, but the other founding father of Europe.
Natch!
Good god woman, the thought of you chewing on a knockwurst is driving me nuts - I'm tempted to pop over immediately (via Alsace to pick up a good Gewurz of course).
One would think that he would be a 'Schu-In' for Sainthood?
*ahem
Do you have to be a celibate to get a sainthood?
Celibate here, celibate there....
(© Lily Savage, I believe)
Pat, I knew you would. You've got cultcher coming out yer earoles, innit?
Gambo, start your motor, I'll put the dishwasher on.
Donn, I knew that photo looked familier. You're really Noel Edmonds aren't you?
Sam, you know the famous saying of St Augustine of Hippo: "Give me chastity and continence... but not yet." So the answer would appear to be no.
'Lycus, celibate good times, come on! (Kool and the Gang, I believe)
AND I've just ordered 'Midnight's Children'.
Not to be a nit-picky arse or anything but Medvedev's the new president of Russia. And Putin's the PM.
Nit-picky and arsey, right? I just don't want you to get embroiled in anything steamy with any young man impostering as a PM, is all. You deserve the full president treatment, Daphne. ;)
Pat, I think you'll enjoy it, it's the most readable of his books. He's one damn clever-dicky.
Sam, you're absolutely right, of course, silly me. Have you noticed how the boy-President has even learned to walk like his master? That drop-shouldered pimp walk that Putin has adopted, like a Russian Phil Mitchell.
Post a Comment