
I dislike New Year's Eve. I put it down to my childhood, when I was subjected year upon year to the torture of Andy Stewart and the White Heather Club Hogmanay Party on black and white telly. For the first seven years of my life I thought I lived in Scotland. I never could work out how we could be at Trafalgar Square in half an hour on the train. As a result of this trickery I know all the words to "Donald Where's Yer Troosers" and have a morbid fear of sporrans. This year the Powers that Be have cancelled the fireworks (thanks to Flying Rodent for that last-minute news) so it'll be just me, Jools Holland and perhaps a small sherry to welcome in the New Year. If I can stay awake that long.
Following an invitation to dance from Doctor Maroon, who is admittedly a Scottish gentleman, though one who would not, one hopes, presume to thrust a sporran in my direction, I will be pitching a new idea to Bruce Forsyth in the New Year. Strictly Bloggers
Come Dancing! The last series of "Strictly" was tedious, I didn't know who half the D-list "celebrities" were, they're really scraping the barrel now. Who is Alesha Dixon? Let's face it, how do you follow Mark Ramprakash? (His wife's detective agency may be able to help here). I think it's time to take reality TV into cyberspace. There is hidden terpsichorean talent in the blogosphere. We know Sam cuts a mean Highland Fling, and I'm sure Pat would be able to turn her dainty feet to anything, but can she be persuaded to dust off the WLA uniform and dance le rock with Crabtree? Che is practising his Argentinian tango in the cellar, Cream our own son of the desert is surely a maestro of the sand dance, while Spanish Goth is odds on to execute the perfect pasadoble, making elaborate use of his cape. My speciality is of course Latin American, and I bet you can't wait to see my cha cha. Yes, I think this could be a new direction for "Strictly". Even Gorilla Bananas is working on a new production of "Riverdance", as illustrated in this film clip:
I wish you all a pain-free Blogmanay, and see you all on the other side.
Following an invitation to dance from Doctor Maroon, who is admittedly a Scottish gentleman, though one who would not, one hopes, presume to thrust a sporran in my direction, I will be pitching a new idea to Bruce Forsyth in the New Year. Strictly Bloggers
Come Dancing! The last series of "Strictly" was tedious, I didn't know who half the D-list "celebrities" were, they're really scraping the barrel now. Who is Alesha Dixon? Let's face it, how do you follow Mark Ramprakash? (His wife's detective agency may be able to help here). I think it's time to take reality TV into cyberspace. There is hidden terpsichorean talent in the blogosphere. We know Sam cuts a mean Highland Fling, and I'm sure Pat would be able to turn her dainty feet to anything, but can she be persuaded to dust off the WLA uniform and dance le rock with Crabtree? Che is practising his Argentinian tango in the cellar, Cream our own son of the desert is surely a maestro of the sand dance, while Spanish Goth is odds on to execute the perfect pasadoble, making elaborate use of his cape. My speciality is of course Latin American, and I bet you can't wait to see my cha cha. Yes, I think this could be a new direction for "Strictly". Even Gorilla Bananas is working on a new production of "Riverdance", as illustrated in this film clip:I wish you all a pain-free Blogmanay, and see you all on the other side.
10 comments:
Those chimps are ever so good, but they'll never match the "hey, ho, hoy!" dances of the kilted men. Are you really going to show people your cha-cha, Lady Daphne? It might be better to save that for an ageing billionaire in return for a little something in his will.
Ah Andy Trewsers! Those were the days. Not!
I had pencilled in Jools, also, if I can keep awake that long . We usually start the champers about 5pm. I had a nasty suspicion we had taken it all to Sussex but MTL had a hidden store.
Will be toasting your dear self and hope 2008 will be happy and healthy and lotsa fun. xoxox
Jings, crivvens and also help ma boab! Dancing, drumming, is there nothing Mr GB cannot do?
Orrabest fer 2008, Daffers!
You're quite right to be wary of sporrans, they can be unpredictable things, with all sorts lurking beneath. And I don't mean liquorice.
You've given us a year of top-drawer blogging fun, dear Daphne. You're a treasure and a treat to know and I feel very lucky to have blogmet you way back when. May the New Year be filled with every good thing for you. I'll be drinking to your splendid self along with the rest of the gang tonight.
See ya, 2008!
The year of the rat cometh...
'Njoy!
Daphnee, I know I am a cowboy but this is the first time I've been called the Sand-Dance Kid!
Hope you enjoyed your Reveillon despite the flu.
Meilleurs Voeux pour 2008.
Happy Hangover!
Sorry, was that too loud?
I couldn't help but look up the complete lyrics. Somewhat worryingly:
"Well I caught a cold and me nose was raw
I had no handkerchief at all
So I hiked up my kilt and I gave it a blow,
Now you can't do that with troosers"
Yuk! Dirty boy!
All the best to you for 2008 Daphne, keep up the good blogging.
What a fantastic clip. My sides hurt.
Happy New Year!
GB, in my experience ageing billionnaires leave all their money to busty 20-something blonde nurses. At my age there's no point in saving yourself. I am paying it on by helping younger men improve their social skills.
Pat, champers at 5 would mean asleep by 8 for me. You've obviously had more practice than I have. Which is saying something.
Farty, he's a real Renaissance ape isn't he? I believe he taught Bruno Tonnioli the Funky Gibbon.
Sam, many thanks for your paeons of praise. I cannot hope to match your wonderful flights of Celtic fancy, I fear. I hope the bar leaves you time to blog!
Sahib, thank God we're nearly out of the Year of the Pig, their calendar is never going to endear the Chinese to the Arab world is it? It's another month until Chinese New Year, so keep your firecrackers dry a bit longer.
Cream, check out Wilson, Keppel and Betty on YouTube to see how it was really done, to the tune of "The Old Bazaar in Cairo". I think this might have been the catalyst behind the rise in Arab nationalism.
Bart, the only hangover I've got is from watching too many repeats on BBC.
Tom, lifting up his kilt and blowing? Was this verse written by Ben Doon and Phil McCavity?
Aunty, I hope the Irish don't take it the wrong way. Or the chimps, for that matter. People are so sensitive these days.
Post a Comment