Back home in Brussels, the sun made a brief appearance, and it was even warm yesterday. However, I am busy feathering my nest and am oblivious to the vagaries of nature. It is a truism that whatever the size of the container at your disposal, you will find stuff to fill it up. This is the reasoning behind huge supermarket trolleys. I have been steadily upgrading in living space and location since my arrival in Brussels nearly two years ago, and am now almost back to the level of comfort and luxury that I enjoyed before Harold's sudden demise left me bereft and penniless. I found my ideal apartment in a perfect part of town. Apart from the lack of litter, I could be in Wimbledon. I had been living up to now in furnished accommodation, but I rented the new apartment - 1920's listed building, SO moi - unfurnished, which was an open invitation that my Visa card could not refuse.
The shopping in Brussels is not fantastic, sadly. Especially for furniture. It is either VERY classy and expensive - my favourite shop is Fins de Siecles, which specializes in high quality reproduction art deco furniture, but is way out of my financial bracket - or cheap and nasty. There is Ikea, but both stores are in outlying areas miles from a bus stop or metro, and I'm not hiring a car just to go and pick up a chipboard bookshelf with a silly name. Luckily we have Hema, Blokker and Casa, which are city-centre Ikea-style stores at affordable prices, smaller and easier to negotiate.
However, some items cannot be skimped on. A good bed, for example. And a day bed, or sofa. My new chaise-longue has just been delivered, on which I plan to recline in a suitably diaphanous negligee and caribou-trimmed mules. It has to last me into my dotage so I have not gone for anything too low, in 20 years' time I might not be able to get out of it. The chaise-longue, I mean. Not the negligee.
The 1920's is a decade I would have enjoyed, I would have been a right flapper, dancing the Charleston with George Bernard Shaw, a glass of champagne in one hand and a cocktail Sobranie wedged in a foot-long ivory cigarette holder in the other. Compare the heady but stylish hedonism of the roaring twenties with today's young gels' idea of a good night out: drinking pints of beer followed by alcopops, and ending up vomiting into their handbags if they're ladylike, or into the gutter if they're not. The flappers of yesteryear knew how to dress, how to drink, and how to tantalize. Jade Goody could learn a thing or two from watching some old Mary Pickford movies. Rudolf Valentino could have swept me off to his tent in the desert any time.
The Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo, managed by the eccentric and excessive Russian impresario Sergei Diaghilev, a sort of cross between Harvey Goldsmith and Boris Berezovsky, have always fascinated me, being the 1920's equivalent of an Andrew Lloyd-Webber show. As a young gel obsessed with tulle and satin and prancing about on tiptoe, I was given a book called "The Book of Ballet", which contained black and white photographs of the great ballerinas and full stories of all the great ballets. Hence I am a font of knowledge on the history of ballet, even though my own terpsichorean talents are a tad less refined. The names George Balanchine, Maria Tallchief and Anna Pavlova hold no mysteries for me. I am an expert on men in tights. Sadly the book was lost many years ago. If anyone ever comes across it at a car boot sale, I'd love to leaf through it again and turn back the pages of time.
Talking of dance, have you been watching Dance X? Bruno Tonioli is my latest "boyfriend". If I were sweeping down a grand staircase in a gown and feather boa, he would certainly be one of the chaps in top hat and tails who would spring forward to light my cigarette or proffer his arm to escort me to the waiting Daimler, from a chorus line which would include Simon Amstell, Paolo Nutini, that bloke from The Blue Nile, Gorilla Bananas, and Prince Harry.I must away now to recline, Madame Recamier fashion, on my chaise longue. Peel me a grape, Beulah ...
16 comments:
" Comme je comprends ... "
Le "dadaïsme"
Il y a des moments de la vie où une sorte de beauté naît de la multiplicité des ennuis qui nous assaillent.
poses
lorientale
tentation
We all obliged, to return the bearable reality, to maintain in we some small madnesses.
The ladies did have style in the 1920s, although the ones in the silent movies look rather skinny. Mae West would have been the gorilla's choice, a saucy woman with a bit of meat on her, who reputedly wore silk panties when she was imprisoned.
I am a huge fan of the chaise longue, myself!
Perhaps I'll purchase one for my library, when I have a library, which would be when I have a house, of course.
:D
I can just imagine you with a gold cigarette holder and a coupe of champagne!
Please, please tell me that you say longe for longue...
It's like listening to a dentist's drill!
Cream, she does.
And she says 'Chase' for 'chaise'.
A chase long, in fact.
But not these days. It's more of a 'chase very short'. Daffers gives up after three times around the table. Well, it could be a while till the next one...
I so agree Daphne a chaise longue or sofa, in my case, is as important as the bed as I have a snooze/siesta at least once a day and stay up late. And now I rise early so God knows I need it. I love the ballet lot also - used to have Margot and Moira on the walls but the era I would have loved to have habited was Paris when Gertrude had an atelier and Hemingway and Scott Fitzgerald were in town. I'm sure you'll be happy in your new home.
Crabtree, tu es le dadaiste par excellence. Meme lorsque je comprends ce que tu dis, je ne comprends pas ... a nous les petites folies!
GB, vairy clevair of you to spot the Mae West reference in my last line. If she had ever gone on a date with a gorilla she would have worn a black fur coat with nothing underneath, just so he didn't feel conspicuous.
Sidhu, I hope you will recline like an Indian prince, bejewelled and beturbanned, resting your feet on a baby elephant while you read Brideshead Revisited.
Cream, you've got me confused now. It is longe or longue? And is it langerie or longerie? Three weeks in UK and my French has gone to pot. Or do I mean po?
Tippers, I only go the full three laps if it's a very small table. You could say I'm more chaste than chased these days.
Pat, I'm a fan of the siesta too, although when you're still working you have to learn to do it sitting bolt upright at the computer and not snore. Alicia Markova was my favourite ballerina - did you know she was born Alice Marks, and Diaghilev made her change her name, as Russian was dead trendy in those days.
Thousand forgiveness
Etant doté d’un esprit malin blindé au Kevlar doublé de folie iridié ,Je me suis égaré par Le surréalisme des années folles !
j'aurais pu parler d'art déco,Casa ,Ikea et confo...sawdust pieces of furniture not sure ( rococo ?)
Mais le passage 1920 ( pas sage )il me plaît beaucoup !
Pour me faire pardonner :Douce folie
"caribou-trimmed". I'd pay to see those.
I had a similar book on dinosaurs. I Googled and found a small shop in the USA which makes a living by hunting down your lost book and mailing it to you. I can't remember what they were called, but they were cheap and friendly. Try 'em.
I'd have been no good as a flapper. My cleavage is just too dam' fabulous.
I'm sure you say: shez long because you're a lady who speaks proper French.
Yes, Longerie is another one that grates on me.
Are there any English words that the Belgians or French mis-pronounce?
I can only think of one: Les Water (W.C.)... pronounced lay vat air.
Dip-Dop, "Mules" are a type of pantoufle, just in case you imagined I had a living room full of livestock.
Aunty, your magnificent bazookas would have taken someone's eye out when you were dancing the Charleston.
Creamo, my name is the primary victim of the French inability to get their tongues round our treacherous silent consonants - I am Madame Vain Bog in Paris. The Belgians are used to guttural Flemish sounds so speak much better English, and without having a gun held to their heads either. (Sorry Dip-Dop, but you know I'm right).
Good job the Welsh and Spanish know how to pronounce it then...
dafflette, ma chere, chaise longue is french. if you're writing in english, you should call it a fainting couch. bissous, mme chapeau
Do not be sorry ,you are right perfectly,what is a pity especially ,It is that my English is not with the height of your French so just ,not! I rather will say ...delicious ,refine and subtle
I think of having found a good transition ??
OUPS !!! en mauvais français ?
( Je pense à avoir trouvé une bonne transition )
for the pleasure...
mistinguett
@Lady Daphne: Well, I'll definitely be beturbanned, since I am a practising Sikh.
The baby elephant could actually get me in trouble with the Ministry of Environment...Let me see if I can 'grease' some palms there and get 'special' permission!
:D
Post a Comment