Next Friday I am off to the land of flamenco and paella, birthplace of Antonio Banderas and General Franco. Seville, where the barber and the oranges come from. Not quite a holiday. I am travelling with the Kurt Nachtnebel Oompah Band (or K.N.O.B.) who are competing in the All-Europe Oompah Band championships. There will be an awful lot of trumping next week. Bert is usually on Triangle, but since Manfred was taken ill, has had to stand in for him on the Big Bass Drum, which leaves me holding Bert's small dangly instrument. I have precisely one “ting” to make, at the end of their grand finale, “Gretl gib’ mir meine Strumpfhosen” but if it’s not ‘ting’ed in exactly the right place the whole performance could fall apart and the K.N.O.B. would have to go home with tail hanging between legs.
Not every member of K.N.O.B. is of pure Prussian stock like Bert. Engelbert, for example, is from Bavaria. But they do not want it made common knowledge that they have a “Tommy” in their midst. Some older fans have long memories. So I have to wear a dirndl, or traditional German milkmaid’s dress, with my hair plaited and wound around my ears like Helga
in ‘Allo ‘Allo. Under my plaits will be concealed tiny earpieces, so that I can receive instructions on when to ‘ting’ from Wolfgang, the head of K.N.O.B., hiding in the wings. The aerial will be cunningly disguised as the cock’s tail feather in my Tyrolean hat. I did suggest that it might be less complicated just to find a triangle player who could read music, but Bert said my gentle touch on his instrument was essential to the success of the K.N.O.B.
If it all goes a bit Sound of Music, frankly I'd rather be wearing the Baroness Eberfeld's wardrobe than Maria von Trapp's, but I don't want to be hissed at. I'm sure if the K.N.O.B.'s performance should be a bit limp, an arousing chorus of "Edelweiss" in tango rhythm will have the audience upstanding in less time than it takes to say "Donde esta la viagra por favor".

15 comments:
Will there be any thigh-slapping? I thought the Bavarians liked that sort of thing. I suggest you get the audience on your side by shouting "Who remembers the Generalissimo?" before starting to play.
This is just to let you know I am on to you and can monitor my activities!
Didn't know Peter Sellers was Spanish!
I'm sure you'll be extremely fetching in the outfit and we want photos.
Dr Mayhap Cuddler of Beavershott may be particularly interested.
Porter une robe tyrolienne, ou une robe de fille de ferme allemande traditionnelle !!!
Il est certain que comme le loup de Tex Avery je Te sifflerai !à moins que je pousse un cri tyrolien de plaisir ?
GB, you do have a thing about thighs, don't you? If I shout what you suggested, I'm sure some wag would respond (in Spanish): "you hum it, I'll play it".
Doris - Garbo speaks! You'll note that apart from the cocktail night I have never featured you in my anecdotes. That could all change soon, of course.
Que? I don't remember Peter Sellers in the Sound of Music? (I know there's some very contrived piece of Cream-humour waiting to come back at me here)
Aunt, I'm still working out how to fit a pineapple on top of a Tyrolean hat.
Crabtree - yodelayeeee !!
Oh ! Ce que tu sais bien iouler à moins que ce ne soit jodler ou iodler ?
L'écho m’a répondu !
Iouler
Jodler"canards tyroliens"
Everyone - listen to that first link of Dip-Dop's before you go to work in the morning, you're guaranteed to leave the house with a smile on your face. Merci Dip-Dop! Et en plus, j'ai appris un nouveau mot - "iouler".
Daphnée, for once there was no hidden message in my last comment.
I just noticed that Franco looked like Peter Sellers.
I'm off to Spain on 24th.
Will your K.N.O.B be visiting the Costa Blanca for a rendition of Edelvice or is it just a one-night performance?
Sadly -- or perhaps not -- we are not going anywhere near the Costa. We are staying in Spain. I will e-mail you a link to the Oompah Championships, I can sort of see you in lederhosen.
The triangle's a tricky instrument, right enough, Daphne. It can take years to master. Just thank Jesus you're not on 1st rhombus - the timpanics on rhombi are notoriously hard to control and you'll catch carpal tunnel off 'em too. That's not the worse thing you can catch in Spain, mind.
Have a lovely trip, Sweetpea!
Eureka! Eureka!
I now know how the 'Tommy Gun' got its name.
If you are fond of the dance, let me direct you to a friend of mine, a certain Mr. Lucien Modo: -
http://a-dysfunctional.blogspot.com/2006/10/diary-excerpts-of-aladyce-thynne-1974.html
Mmmm... that may not work try this instead: -
http://a-dysfunctional.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html
I have just discovered your blog and think it is wonderful, witty and clever and encouraging. You have a very good eye. Have just sent your review of the Skieven Architek to two charming political refugees from Burma whom I took there yesterday; it will help them understand the masterpiece that is Belgium. I also liked very much your stuff from Poland, where I also lived/ worked, though much earlier (1980 onwards, off and on to c 1991). Some of your pieces made me laugh out loud. Keep up the good work! Edward Steen [edwardsteen@gmail.com].
Post a Comment