Bert, or Baron Heinrich von Fuchs-Langezeit zu Neanderthal to give him his full honours, is not one to hide his light under a buschel. Sorry, bushel. Not for him the role of the caring nobleman disguising himself as a peasant, the better to understand the suffering of his subjects. Bert operates more along the lines of Ludwig II, the extravagant 18th century King of Bavaria. He puts the manic in Germanic. He turns arrogance into an art form. He is L’Oréal Man (“Because I’m verse it!”). He could almost be French. At the moment he is ordering me about like Captain Von Trapp with Julie Andrews. Honestly, I think he thinks I work for him. Fetch this, do that, unzip the other. “Listen, Schatzi, I’m not your secretary,” I said to him the other day. “If you want to send me some flowers, you have to phone the florist yourself.”
I have compared him on occasion to a number of Teutonic megalomaniacs, from Attila the Hun to General von Klinckerhoffen, with touches of Michael Schumacher here and there (at traffic lights, for example). He does everything with an irritating perfectionism. He has the precision of Jürgen Klinsmann, the determination of Boris Becker, and the phone number of Claudia Schiffer’s hairdresser. He is even vaguely related to the British Royal Family, his ancestry being situated on the outer reaches of the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line. He is 1,976th in line to the throne, or thereabouts. He keeps an ermine robe in his wardrobe, just in case.I found the following extracts in my favourite book which could have been written about Bert.
“ … adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer (crook? Quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch …”
“… he had seen the whole Universe stretching to infinity around him – everything. And with it had come the clear and extraordinary knowledge that he was the most important thing in it.”
This is from the late Douglas Adams’ seminal meisterwerk “The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. This book is far more than a comic science-fiction story. There are some universal truths in it that will be handed down to future generations alongside Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde. Such as the answer to the question about Life, The Universe and Everything being “42”. It’s blindingly obvious when you think about it. And a timeless piece of good advice: “Don’t Panic”. It’s as good as the Bible. (If you are Zed’s born-again nutter, don’t bother sending in a great lecture about blasphemy, the Bishop is a very good friend of mine and approves all my posts before they go up).
On my last re-reading, the scales fell from my eyes, and I realized that Bert was the embodiment of one of the key characters in THHGTTG. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Zaphod von Beeblebrox. Minus the second head and the third arm, of course, but otherwise his Westphalian alter ego. With the emphasis on the Ego.
20 comments:
looks like its momentry down
I am appalled by the idea that you actually have to work for a living, Lady Daphne. It will henceforth be my ambition in life to make an honest noblewoman of you.
I will read THHGTTG as soon as possible. I was toying with the idea after S Fry recommended it, and knowing it's your favourite book has settled the issue.
Stumped by Blogger, eh, Daphnee?
More like "Un Blagueur"...
Does that make you Trillian?
Adams was one of the few who could read his own work. His audio books are superb.
Bert sounds a bit of a card. Not boring then. I lost 'delete' this morning - catastrophe for me with dyslexic typing. Probably from all the bleeding Viagra ads.
GB, that sounds like a proposal of some kind. I'll get back to you on that, after I've pondered the prospect of cosy nights tucked up in your hammock watching QI. To change the subject, I suppose you jungle bookworms order from Amazon? (Giggle)
Cream, I fixed it as you will see. It seems my web browser was clogged up. My gel had the weekend off (exceptionally) so I had to get the hoover out myself and figure out how it worked, and all is now back to normal.
Doc, the Total Perspective Vortex was the invention of a genius and I believe the guys who reconstructed the Colossus are working on a prototype. Aunty M is still trying to find a barman who can make the perfect pangalactic gargleblaster.
Pat, try cleaning out your browser. I have downloaded detailed instructions from "Blagueur" if you want them.
Actually, Daphne, all I had to do was to mention my interest in the book to my valet (a chimpanzee) and he raced off to Brazzaville to by the 5-part volume. He's that scared of me, poor fellow! I like the president whose function is to draw attention away from power.
By doing things like starting a pointless war, you mean?
Daphne it has righted itself. Praise be! If it does it again I'll come back to you although it was all Geek to me. I mean Greek -if only I were a geek!
“… he had seen the whole Universe stretching to infinity around him – everything. And with it had come the clear and extraordinary knowledge that he was the most important thing in it.”
HAHA - once again I am inhaling my tea. . .
"It's all Geek to me" - priceless Pat !!!
Read the book DQ - but don't drink tea at the same time.
President Zaphod Beeblebrox started a pointless war? I'm only upto chapter 5 and you're already spoiling the plot.
I can't believe Gorilla Bananas hasn't read H2G2 yet. He does not write like a primate who hasn't read it yet.
GB, are you a reincarnation of Douglas Adams?
Mais non, mon grand poilu, I was referring to someone else altogether who also behaves a lot like Zaphod Beeblebrox. Here's a clue: his first name's Tony.
I am not the kind of woman to circumvent a climax, believe me.
Aunty, perhaps GB is too young to have heard of Douglas Adams? In which case he has wisdom beyond his tender years.
No, ladies, I'm too much of an old fogey to have read it before. When I was a young ape, I was taught that fiction was frivolous. Maybe the odd bit of Dickens was allowed, but only after mastering Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and Darwin's Origin of Species.
Yes, it was hard being a young gorilla with a stern, Victorian tutor, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. Only now that I have more time to spend on the lighter things of life can I cast my eye over the kind of reading preferred by carefree young ladies such as yourselves. It is a most thrilling experience.
Gibbon's !!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!
Phew. Just figured out which 'Tony' you were on about.
Unless, of course, you were referring to the argument I had with my local barman over what actually constitutes a 'pint' of cider...
Blind, I am blind.
For crying out loud woman, change those colours again!
What have you been up to that makes you go blind you little devil? All right, all right -- is that better?
Yes, thank you very much. And I'll tell you tonight what I've been up to...
Post a Comment