When out and about on public transport, I often see groups of Scouts setting off on an Adventure, or coming back from one, with muddy knees and woggles akimbo. They are usually groups of Cub Scouts accompanied by one or more older Scouts, all in uniform, usually boys but the occasional girl. The older Scouts are teenagers of an age where, in the UK, they would be wearing hoodies, £100 trainers and baggy jeans with the crotch between their knees, but these lads are quite unselfconscious in their long shorts (in summer), neckerchiefs in the trendy new scouting colours and proudly sporting their badges. They actually look quite good, as only continental boys can. The little ‘uns look up to the big 'uns and follow their instructions obediently. British boys of the same age would rather do time in a juvenile detention centre than be seen by their mates dressed like that and shepherding a bunch of seven-year-olds.Before you accuse me of ogling young men’s legs, let me tell you a sobering story. This summer a 17-year-old Scout was murdered at Brussels Centraal Station on a weekday afternoon by a couple of teenage hoodlums who were trying to rob him of his iPod at knifepoint. Everyone instinctively thinks of him when they see these responsible young fellows with their charges.
These Belgian boys and girls will grow up with experience of taking responsibility for younger children, and I imagine many of them might well become teachers. In the UK there is a recruitment crisis in the teaching profession. Partly because of all the checks that have to be done before you can work with children, but partly I suspect because young people no longer have any experience of looking after their juniors. They are not allowed to, for one thing, as parents will not let their precious little Tarquins out of their sight unless they are accompanied by a couple of middle aged female vicars with a defibbrilator. And so the crisis builds on itself, as the numbers of graduates entering the teaching profession diminishes, the class numbers grow, the kids get more out of control and irresponsible and less likely to go into teaching themselves. The pressure to be “cool” is such that being identified as a Scout, especially after your voice has broken, is worse than being identified as a lout. It seems the only badge British teenagers are proud to wear these days is an ASBO.
I often complain about Belgium being stuck in a time warp, but sometimes I’m quite glad it is. I have a feeling it will eventually go the way of the UK. But for the time being it’s worth putting up with reliving the 1970s for the pleasure of seeing a young man’s woggle.
30 comments:
What an unfortunate name for a little girls paramilitary organisation. I predict Hepzibah will be kicked out within the month. She is a Vicky Pollard in the making if ever I saw one.
well aren't us childless old gals just the most in advice about raising children. i think it would be difficult here in amerika for even an old biddie like me to be allowed to thake the young'uns out--politically correct, and all that bullshit. how i long for civilized eurotrash attitudes!!!!
love, mme chapeau
I was in the Brownies, which I loved, but got kicked out the Guides for always forgetting my baking money. . .after that I discovered drink and boys.
It's amazing (in a good way) that in Belgium this young boy getting stabbed for an i-pod would start a protest, in London they're all ammune to it - you'd read it in the paper and not blink an eyelid. It’s nice that here they try to preserve some sense of decency, perhaps, even navity that would stop them ever getting complacent. . .
I was a Scout and loved every minute of it!
I can still start a fire with a match, put up a tent in two hours, and enjoy watery, smokey soup.
What I miss most though is marching around my hometown chased by the village idiot and stray dogs.
Ahhh...Them were the days!
So, Daphnée, next time you see a brown pair of legs in Brussels, think of me...Dip dip...
it's funny you should mention that about belgian kids ... i was talking to a friend the other week who is presently teaching english in japan but is nevertheless a brit through and through.
she asked after my kids and said "i bet your girls are well on the booze and fags by now."
i know that she didn't mean that as an insult, but it's true: most british kids most certainly come across like that.
(my kids are very anti-smoking and get very upset when i get pissed. christ, when will they grow up ?)
Madame Chapeau, you might be an old biddie but you've sure had your fill of sex drugs and rock 'n roll. Just the sort of great-aunt every child should have.
DQ, have you still got the Brownie uniform? Please wear it when you meet Tippler.
Cream, perhaps the village idiot thought it was the French army come back.
Zed, can't you just see all those little Japanese dolls in their English class repeating: "Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but ...she wuz well up for it ... and I ain't BOVVERED!"
It was short when I was 10, who knows where it will end now. . .
For some reason, I feel compelled to defend the honour of British children. Although there are plenty of ASBO queens/kings (especially in the inner cities), it is possible to find nice, polite kids, even teenagers. I am a ping-pong coach, and have worked with many kids over the past decade or so; and the vast majority of them have been no problem at all. I guess it could be that we get a better calibre of child in ping-pong than in say, football, but it does prove they do exist.
It may also surprise some of you that I (a single, white male) am still allowed to interact with these children. It is possible, but I have had to be police checked, and there is so much paperwork and so many restrictions and guidelines that it is almost impossible to comply with all of them. For example, at the end of a coaching session, the parents have not turned up to pick up 1 child. You're not allowed to be in a room alone with them, and you're not allowed to drive them home. It would appear that you are allowed to leave them there alone outside the venue, but that surely is the worst thing you could do! Sometimes you just have to use your common sense and hope that people recognise this.
Anyway, enough of my venting; I have to agree that kids in Belgium do seem to be better behaved, in general, and probably speak better English as well.
DQ, I'm sure that won't be a problem for the Tippler! ;-)
French army? You're kidding! The way we marched and lost our rhythm every other step...
Our young boys and girls up here are braver than your Scouts!
They can prance around with next to nowt on every night of the week in temperatures of minus something...
I used to play ping pong! Oh, how many times I missed the pong! Still miss it!
DQ, just make sure your woggle is not showing.
Lynx - named after the deodorant? - I am aware there are a few children in UK who have still not managed to obtain an ASBO. However, I hear the government is launching a new initiative to make sure that every child in the UK has the chance to earn one. After all, we wouldn't like anyone to feel excluded, would we?
Cream, the first time I saw crowds of teenagers pub-crawling through a town centre wearing hardly anything was in Newcastle about 15 years ago! I have since seen them in many other British town centres on a Saturday night. Full marks for survival skills. Not sure how they'd do on woodcraft or kindness to animals though.
I do not wish to imply that ALL British teenagers are yobs and ALL Belgian teenagers are saints. The little bastards who killed the scout, although foreign, had been in Belgium for several years and were in the Belgian school system. I just admire the way the youngsters here are less brainwashed by telly and so-called "image" and how scouting is not perceived as a totally naff activity.
It might help if the BBC didn't keep boasting to the world at large about the UK having the worst everything in Europe - most obese people, youngest drinkers and smokers, most teenage pregnancies, most illiterate school leavers, etc. etc. etc. Some things are best kept in the family.
Oh Daphne, you have troubled me a lot with this sobering post... Teenagers’ behaviour (the same everywhere, I’m afraid), how tough it is to be a parent, how children’s future depends on the education they get – mostly on how good/bad teachers they have, that is, and last but not least, the apathy of the society we live in. Yes, the apathy, and don’t be fooled by the many protests in Belgium. I’ve lived here long enough to know that no one would actually interfere with hoodlums and Joe’s murder in a packed railway station was merely yet another example of lack of concern, ‘Belgian’ coldness in this particular case.
One of my old friends tells me on her Christmas card of the many voluntary jobs she no longer does because of all the checks she has to endure; an impeccable married woman who is a retired teacher. It's madness.
As a woman, I'd much prefer a man who knew his way around a half-hitch to one who knew how to open car doors with a credit card.
I was a Guide and my brother a Scout and we both have brilliant memories of camping and hiking and camp-fires and midges and beaches and mountains and roughing it and washing in streams.
Technically, we girls weren't supposed to camp because even as early as the eighties a girl had to be raised so many inches off the ground for sleeping. We weren't supposed to rough it at all very much, and were constrained by all sorts of rules the Scouts didn't have to bother with. In the Outer Hebrides though, we got by with contravening a lot of the rules, depending on which Guide leader was in charge at the time.
Brilliant days, remembered fondly. Especially the times when the Scouts were camping right over the hill from us...
The Boy Scouts' Handbook is a classic. An updated version of the Bible. Some of the chapters might have been written for gorillas.
I joined the Sea Scouts just after my 12th birthday.
Two months later, I left.
My tent sank.
sam, didn't you build your own camps ? when my daughters used to go to guide camp in the summer for 2 weeks they'd all build a 2-storey camp using tarpaulin, rope and four wooden posts. fair enough, there weren't any walls to the camp so it must have been difficult to pick your nose without having everyone see, but they did have a roof.
they'd wash in a stream, go hiking, shit in the bushes, cook and stink when they came home.
Camping??? Ugh. Just because I APPROVE of scouting doesn't mean I want to DO it. I did get coerced into joining Campaigners briefly, but after one visit had worked out it was a religious paramilitary organisation and never went back. Where joining clubs and things is concerned, I'm with Groucho Marx.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a woggle?
Funny you mentioned the guys with their pants down to their knees. Today I saw three teen boys and they had to hold their pants to keep them from falling completely off. Half thier ass was showing and one hand had to be always occupied keeping the other half from showing.
A woggle, Patricia, is a widget that holds a scout's scarf in place. See this fine selection of woggles for all occasions.
Woggles are also seen on duffle coats aren't they? Or is that a toggle?
I was too innocent to be a scout. I've heard about those camping trips.
Toggles, Pat. The Duffel coat is named after a town on the way from Brussels to Antwerp. Another fascinating Belgian invention.
Welcome back Banana. I've missed you. I bet you'd have known how to wear a woggle with style.
dip-dop, my daughters' goldfish were called 'Remus and Romulus' ... thought everybody would like to know that.
Well I am proud to say I was a butlins Beaver, how many people can say that??
Zoe, you now have a cat AND a goldfish named after you ... hope they never meet!
Tat, I'd heard there was a lot of that sort of thing went on at Butlins.
Dip Dop, Romulus and Remus, of course, you were louveteaux (wolf cubs). Tres clever. Youkaidi-ai-da must be French for dib-dib-dib. How do you say "woggle" in French? Le woggle? La woggelle? Ouagadougou? Thank you for the song, is it a scouting anthem? Here's the British scout anthem for you:
We’re riding along on the Crest Of A Wave
And the sun is in the sky
All our eyes on the distant horizon
Look out for passers by
We’ll do the hailing
When other ships around us sailing
We’re riding along on the Crest Of a Wave
And the world is ours!
Reading that back, I detect worrying echoes of "Tomorrow belongs to me".
Like the T-Meister, I too was in one of those dodgy little groups for a short time. They recruited me to help them win their equivalent of the European cup in football. Back then, I wasn't so lazy and was actually very good at football - probably why I played for Wales.
Having won the cup I then discovered Girl Guides. Yikes! Know what I'd rather be doing then.
dip-dop - pas de problème! as long as i never learn of a cow called zoe .....;)
young man's woggle...
sigh....
Post a Comment