Wednesday, October 25

The Damn Architect

De Skieven Architek is a term used by the people of the Marolles about the man who designed and built the Palais de Justice, or law courts. It translates as “that damn architect”, or perhaps something a bit stronger. The damn architect in question was Baron Poelaert, yes he who lends his name to the wide open and generally waste of space in front of his creation, the Palais de Justice. It took 17 years to build, and required 1,000 families to be forcibly evicted to make space for its bulk. They did not go quietly, and there were riots and even a suicide before they were persuaded to relocate. It was the largest building in Europe during the 19th century – 4,000 square metres larger than St Peter’s in Rome – and dominates the city for miles around with its grandiose cupola.

Poelaert died in a lunatic asylum in 1879 and never lived to see his creation completed. Legend has it that a witch from the Marolles district cursed him and finished him off with a form of Belgian voodoo. But before he died, he also built several more edifices, including St Catherine’s church, and a fire station on Hoogstraat, which was recently converted into a restaurant. And guess what it’s called? “De Skieven Architek” of course. It’s a very Flemish restaurant, and the schoolmistressy waitresses greet you with a firm “Goededag” (which always sounds to my untrained ear like Hooeydaah). The restaurant serves typical Flem dishes like carbonnade and rabbit, but also has an impressive list of beers, both draught and bottled, some of which are brewed by the restaurant’s own off-premises microbrewery and can be bought to take out. Some of the beers on offer had an alc.vol. content of 10.8% - I am not sure if these figures mean the same thing all over Europe, but that’s almost the alcoholic content of wine. No wonder it is served in small glasses here. The“Witte Brigittine” wheat beer was refreshing: cloudy and not very gassy, with a slightly fruity taste. I only had the one, though.

After a leisurely perusal of the menu which includes a good deal of history about the area and the building in French, Flemish and English, I ordered authentic Brussels “stoemp” which, for the uninitiated, is a sort of potato and vegetable mash involving potatoes, carrots, onions and whatever other vegetable is lying about in the larder that day. “Stoemp” is probably a fairly accurate description of the culinary process used to prepare it. It is fairly basic peasant fodder, and the vegetables are not so much mashed as just sort of stamped on with hobnailed boots. They are served piping hot with a sausage and a slice of belly pork, and hits the spot on a chilly October Sunday after a morning tramping round the flea market. I quietly congratulated myself when I spotted two hulking great Flemish market boys tucking in to the same thing at the next table. I just love to know I’ve got the local culture right.

The Architek is a pleasant restaurant, the high ceilinged main room hung with paintings. Only one complaint – it costs 50 cents to spend a penny. This is a subject that gets me into a bate, the number of restaurants in Brussels which charge customers to use the facilities. The loo was admittedly spotless. But I am a customer, for heaven’s sake. It’s their beer I’m getting rid of. It’s simply not on.

Although you won't find me following the example of the Jannekin Pis.


12 comments:

zoe said...

you need to go to the kulminator in antwerp (bart used to live next to it) for some really good beer. i managed a couple of bottles that were 14% alc. if my memory serves me correctly - but i'm pretty sure it doesn't. damn strong stuff though - and damn good.

stoemp is many a mother's thanks to the old man upstairs - how else did i get my kids to eat veg ? nowt like disguising the odd carrot and pea with some mash, now, is there ?

and don't get me rabbitting on about madame pipi charging me for a slash just after i've eaten in the restaurant itself - it's a bloody outrage. there again, you'd have missed the big hoo-haa several years ago where a madame pipi was made to pay her taxes .... she made so little money that it caused a right raucous - and she was let off.

The Aunt said...

I don't mind paying when Mme Pipi actually keeps a clean and fragrant establishment. But I have been known to walk back out and ask for my fee back, on the basis that the facilities are unacceptable.

I never get it, mind you.

However in Romania I was once handed two rationed sheets of toilet roll on my way in. As I came out backwards, fast, I handed them back. Nothing in Belgium even comes close. In fact, nothing I experienced in West Africa came close, either.

MKWM said...

€ 0,50 is indeed a high price to pee, a real scandal. Just like that ugly Jeanneke, using a schieve lavabo.

Stoemp is a zinneke's first choice, you got the local culture perfectly right, Daphne. After the flea market walk on a cold morning, I would also recommend a bowl of hot boiling onion soup with its grated cheese, followed by caricoles, washed down with some half and half.

Pat said...

That sounds like delicious comfort food. I'm getting the feeling that 'light diet 'n'existe pas' in Brussels.
Re loos - I have horror of public ones and would happily pay a pound for a pee in a spotless one.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Zed, I'll check out the Kulminator next time I go to Diamond City.

Aunty, I agree on West African loos, they were always clean. Algeria, however, was another matter - carry a loo roll if you ever go there.

MKWM, so I've finally enticed you away from Tippler's blog? It's much nicer over here. You're obviously a real zinneke, stick around, we might need you.

Pat, I'm happy to pay for a public loo. However, in a restaurant where they're already taking their profit margin, I think a clean loo should be part of the service.

MKWM said...

I'll be in touch, it is much nicer indeed. Keep it up, Daphne Rainbow!

Yep, I grew up in Brussels but still, you might possibly know a lot more about it than I do!

Gorilla Bananas said...

There must be some trick to avoid paying for having a pee. You should have asked the market boys. I bet they don't pay.

Pat said...

If you're a market boy any old wall will do. We are LADIES - at least I was last time I looked

The Dog of Freetown said...

I don't like that gold statue of the lady which all the German men rub for virility. It unsettles me to see such things.

I wrote about the architecture of the place too, but perhaps I did it a diservice.

Anonymous said...

Well you can gang up on me all you like. Ner.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Kieran, what statue? I must take Bert there.

MKWM said...

Good question, Daphne, what statue can it be?

The only one I know that is being rubbed is 'le Gisant' and Everard 't Serclaes was certainly not a lady.

Is it this Knight's statue the Germans do rub for virility? Sounds logical then and they should take up Tippler's invitation next time they come over(a potential future Must of Brussels?)

The legend says that a damsel caressing the Knight's arm would find a husband within the year but it has mostly a reputation of 'porte-bonheur' and since we all need a bit of luck, I also rub the Knight whenever I pass by.