Tuesday, August 25

RETURN OF THE RAIN GODDESS

Ten days without internet access. TEN DAYS. See, I can do it. I can give it up. I'm not an internet junkie. It is eight a.m. on the day after my return, I have not even unpacked my damp clothes, and I am sitting in my nightshirt at the 'pooter. I am going to have a marathon session and write up my latest hols for your delectation this weekend.

Scotland welcomed me by enveloping me in a massive raincloud which surrounded me until my departure on Monday. I spent the whole 10 days with my hijab firmly tied around my head (apart from the photoshoot with Kim Ayres) more in the interests of preventing frizzy hair than in support of Mr Megrahi. I have never seen rain of such relentless determination. As one lot of clouds emptied their load, another battalion was already rolling in from the Atlantic. It was a concerted attack. I think a formal complaint to NATO should be made.

On the return flight yesterday, I heard the sweetest words: "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now commencing our descent. The temperature on the ground in Brussels is 27 degrees." I emerged from the plane into a sultry heat and my sodden leather jacket started to steam. Within five minutes of getting on the shuttle bus, a large black cloud had appeared and seemed to be following the bus towards Brussels. Today the sky is leaden.

I think that confirms it. I am a rain goddess.


No comments: